PDA

View Full Version : Becareful Of using SSD drives for important data

kimball492
12-05-2015, 05:24 PM
This article regarding SSD drives
In a report by the International Business Times entitled 'SSDs lose data if left without power for just 7 days' they report on a presentation given by Seagate's Alvin Cox, also chairman of the Joint Electron Device Engineering Council (JEDEC), they write;

"The standards body for the microelectronics industry has found that Solid State Drives (SSD) can start to lose their data and become corrupted if they are left without power for as little as a week."

They go on to report;

"Security firm KoreLogic is concerned that far too many people are now using SSDs in both consumer and enterprise applications, which is clearly not a great idea if the data is important and might be needed for a longer period that three months."

Many of the Expert teams use SSD for their main system drives, few of us use them for storage of critical data. It had been thought with the reduction in the cost of SSD that it might be a good medium to store project archives, that idea may now need a rethink.

Our advice is to make sure that any critical data is backed up to mechanical hard drives.

You can read the full article here
Source: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ssds-lose-data-if...

keloooe
12-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Good thing I have RAID setup on my SSD which is then detected by a custom background program and automatically copied to my backup drive which also has a RAID setup with another mech drive.... Very complex I know!

lawry
12-05-2015, 08:55 PM
Good thing I have RAID setup on my SSD which is then detected by a custom background program and automatically copied to my backup drive which also has a RAID setup with another mech drive.... Very complex I know!

So you have a RAID on your RAID? Don't you think that may be overkill, Pest? A bit too raidical, perhaps? Hehehe.

stan
13-05-2015, 04:30 AM
computer talk make brain hurt...

keloooe
13-05-2015, 05:51 AM
So you have a RAID on your RAID? Don't you think that may be overkill, Pest? A bit too raidical, perhaps? Hehehe.

I don't tend to think of it as RAID cause RAID isn't a backup system, but the second SSD is backup, not mirrored.

Fretworn
13-05-2015, 10:38 AM
"Raid", "Pest" and "Overkill" in one sentence. Is this a flyspray ad?

wokkaboy
13-05-2015, 10:57 AM

haha that must be quote of the month (QOTM) Fretty, can't wait for Pest to see that ! hahah

keloooe
13-05-2015, 11:09 AM

Bloody gold Fretty!

andrewdosborne
13-05-2015, 11:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VThi7SFGNlI

wokkaboy
13-05-2015, 12:23 PM
classic old advert Andrew, brings back memories.
There was a skit Paul Hogan played the kid and used glue instead of fly spray, I can't find it on youtube, must be in a best of video

lawry
13-05-2015, 02:28 PM

Fretty, that's a gem!
Love it.

lawry
13-05-2015, 02:29 PM
I don't tend to think of it as RAID cause RAID isn't a backup system, but the second SSD is backup, not mirrored.

Actually, Pest. RAID is a type of back up. Hence the word 'Redundant'.

wokkaboy
13-05-2015, 02:42 PM

Lozza are you saying the Pest is redundant ? He hasn't been a big enough Pest ? haha

keloooe
13-05-2015, 02:46 PM

Nope, it is not. What RAID actually does differently from a backup system is if one drive fails, the next drive is put to use immediately. If I delete something off a drive, it is removed from drive 2 as well. It would be nice of RAID was a true backup system, but it is classed as a redundancy. I totally see how it is misconceived as a backup system, i thought that too for a while!

andrewdosborne
13-05-2015, 03:25 PM
classic old advert Andrew, brings back memories.
There was a skit Paul Hogan played the kid and used glue instead of fly spray, I can't find it on youtube, must be in a best of video

Ah yes I'll dig out my best of Hogan DVD.

wokkaboy
13-05-2015, 03:27 PM
yeah it was such a cool show the Paul Hogan show hey Andrew, he played the coolest characters.
Let us know if you find the skit Hoges and Maxxy on Youtube or on a best of !

dave.king1
13-05-2015, 04:07 PM
I knew the bloke who inspired the Leo Wanker character, he put Hoges through his still water bronze at Burwood ( Enfield ) pool.

The real Leo was a huge character but sadly long departed

DrNomis_44
16-05-2015, 02:16 PM
There's also another problem with SSD Drives, they have a limited number of Read/Write cycles before they fail and cannot be used to store Data on them.

keloooe
16-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Yeah that is a big problem for older SSD's or people who for some reason use SSD for their regularly updating files

DrNomis_44
16-05-2015, 06:13 PM
There's two morals to this...Backup,Backup,and Backup, and, if it's not in more than one place it doesn't exist.

keloooe
16-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Precisely! As Kimball now knows well from a certain incident with HIS Samsung SSD....

DrNomis_44
16-05-2015, 10:52 PM
I backup all my wanted data onto an external hard drive, if you only ever do one thing to maintain your computer system so that it works at it's best, the one thing you should do is a complete backup of all your wanted files/folders, then do a complete reformat of your computer's main hard drive, or the one marked C:, then do a complete clean install of your computer's operating system, do this every 6 months.

When I do the Backuping/Re-Formatting/Clean OS Install, I usually do it in this order:

1, Backup all wanted data.

2, Re-Format the C: Hard Drive.

3, Clean Install the Operating System.

4, Install all Device Driver Software.

5, Download all OS updates after getting the computer back online and registering the OS.

Usually by then my computer is fully up and running and then I'll install all my music making software.

keloooe
17-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Yep, I do the same stuff as you Nomis! I have ALL my drivers on USB, I throw the disks out!

I also have a USB dedicated to OS install too! I tend to update both USB drives frequently to remove the updating step, gets me up and running quick!