PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Sealers.

Jeff
06-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Just thought I would post a reply to questions asked of Feast Watson regarding the above product. Thought it may be of interest to some:

"Thank you for visiting the Cabot's Premium Products website and for taking the time to send us an email.

Sanding Sealer is made to be applied, and then sanded right the way back to the top surface of the timber, so that it just fills the grain up. There should be no excess Sanding Sealer sitting on top of the timber. Yes, it is suitable for end grain, but it will require quite a lot of sanding to be done before application. The smoother the end grain has been sanded, the better it will work.

Prooftint, used in conjunction with properly applied Sanding Sealer, will absorb well in to the surface, and will have an even finish. The colour will be different to applying it over bare timber, as you will likely wipe more of the prooftint away from the Sanding Sealered surface when you wipe it down.

Sanding Sealer is a hard finish, and could well change the accoustics of your guitar. Instrument makers normally use nitro cellulose lacquers, rather than polyurethanes, as they seem to work better. We don't have a recomendation for using Sanding Sealer, or any of our other varnish type products on an instrument.

If you have any further enquiries please contact us on 1800 011 006 for the cost of a local call, 7:30am to 7pm Eastern Standard Time on weekdays, 8:30am to 3pm on Saturdays or via email at woodcareassist@duluxgroup.com.au

Regards,
David,
Cabot's Premium Products Customer Service."

keloooe
06-05-2015, 11:41 AM
I wouldn't use sanding sealer on a guitar, try a wood filler like Timbermate, doesn't require as much sanding!

wokkaboy
06-05-2015, 11:49 AM
thanks for that info Jeff, some interesting information there.
Wondered why Cabots would say to use Feast Watson stains over their sealer. I've never seen a Cabots stain similar to FW

Jeff
06-05-2015, 12:10 PM
From what I gather from their reply, is that Feast Watson, Cabots and Dulux are all part of the Dulux Group

wokkaboy
06-05-2015, 12:14 PM
ah well spotted Jeff, Feast Watson are owned by Dulux Group as stated bottom of this article

http://www.feastwatson.com.au/consumer/about/feast-watson-heritage/

keloooe
06-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Yeah FW are owned by Dulux. DB will be wrapped!

dingobass
06-05-2015, 12:38 PM
Yuk, yuk, YUK!

Furniture stains and fillers have no place on Guitars.

Off to the Naughty Room with you! :)

keloooe
06-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Yuk, yuk, YUK!

Furniture stains and fillers have no place on Guitars.

Off to the Naughty Room with you! :)

*warehouse

Jeff
06-05-2015, 03:02 PM
I've been on here only for a little while, and already sent to the Naughty Room. By the time I'm finished my first Pitbull guitar I reckon I'll have become a life-long inmate.;)

wokkaboy
06-05-2015, 03:04 PM
haha Jeff, basically 90% of the forum are in the naughty room (now the warehouse) so don't be too worried. All the beer you can drink, wood fired pizza you can eat plus wifi its quite a luxury !

Gavin1393
06-05-2015, 06:59 PM
Reminds me, meeting at the warehouse to discuss the communal selection of effects pedals....starts at 8, don't be L8!

dingobass
06-05-2015, 07:21 PM
I've been on here only for a little while, and already sent to the Naughty Room. By the time I'm finished my first Pitbull guitar I reckon I'll have become a life-long inmate.;)

Yhep... But dont worry too much... Woks is currently serving three life sentences for his many infractions :)

keloooe
06-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Don't worry Jeff, I've been in for a while and was just dragged in again by the DB clan... Beware of who you speak of banned finishes to!

wokkaboy
06-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Yhep... But dont worry too much... Woks is currently serving three life sentences for his many infractions :)
haha DB did reduce my sentence from 5 x life to 3 x life - fat lot of good that will do !

All good the naughty room wouldn't be the same without the barman !

keloooe
06-05-2015, 08:37 PM
Oh my god imagine the chaos that would erupt from that!

stan
07-05-2015, 06:16 AM
hope DB wont come and confiscate builds as being the proceeds of illegal finishes....