PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Rose install workaround, is this viable?

TheZeroCollective
05-05-2015, 06:54 AM
So, I was thinking the other day while looking at my first and only installation of a Floyd Rose. My thoughts wandered and I remembered how big pain in the rear it was to install the lock nut. Then I remembered Kahler's little string clamp deals for behind the nut. So, if I had a slippery nut like a graphite or black Tusq one, and I slipped the lock nut in between the nut and the tuning machines, would this work without any problems? I've seen it done, but you guys are probably more knowledgeable than me on the subject.

keloooe
05-05-2015, 07:29 AM
I have no idea, I haven't seen it done before!

dingobass
05-05-2015, 09:02 AM
All depends on the profile of the headstock behind the nut..
As long as you can get a nice flat surface to mount the clamp there should be no dramas...

Personally, I would weld a handle onto the floppyrose, swing it rapidly around a few times and launch it....
Go for the Kahler, they are simpler to install and are a hell of a lot more stable...

wokkaboy
05-05-2015, 09:04 AM
haha DB once again proves he is President of the Floyd Rose fan club hahah

keloooe
05-05-2015, 09:06 AM
Yeah, he even changed his email to prezzo@floydrosefanclub(dot)com

TheZeroCollective
05-05-2015, 09:12 AM
If I could find a Kahler in my budget, believe me Dingo I'd take that floating hunk of mystery metal and chuck it for the Kahler. Sadly they're expensive, and boy howdy if there's something that's scarce with me it's money!