PDA

View Full Version : A VERY Left Field Finishing Method

Rabbitz
02-05-2015, 04:55 AM
OK, so some of you might have guessed that I've finished a few rifle stocks in the past.

Last night, while looking for completely different information, I came across this gem.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331108

Now, please note this is not a recommendation in any way, shape or form.

I've never seen the results in person but some of the "good ole boys" seem to like it.

You don't need to read the full 53 pages, the first one and then some random pages will suffice.

If you want to get a dozen or more coats onto the wood and only have an evening then this might be the solution for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Precis:
Step Three; The Magic Elixir
Here's what you've waited for..,the formula!

I use Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil and ArmorAll. Other brands of tire shine will also work, but I usually have enough ArmorAll around. I do not use grain filler or stain unless the stock really begs for it.

Spray on a coat of ArmorAll, rub it over the entire stock and wipe off the excess. Now rub a couple of fingers worth of Tru-Oil over the ArmorAll in all directions, but initially across the grain to fill the pores. (Doing sections at a time intially is best because you can see where you've been.) Once some coats have been built up, you can do one full side of the stock at a time. Rub briskly with palm and finger tips until the surface loses its tack and feels like glass. This may take 5-10 minutes but subsequent coats will go even faster. The first coats will appear dull, but subsequent coats will start to gloss up .
( EDITED:Added note thanks to Tom Beck suggestion- Every single coat uses ArmorAll and TruOil combination)
I will put on as many coats as required to give the perfect flat surface finish. Don't rush the coats or thickness application or you'll be rubbing longer.

As I continue once the sheen has been built up, I often lightly buff with 0000x steel wool. This gives a bit of bite for additional coats.

I can put two or three dozen coats on in a day and typically finish a stock in the same day and use it immediately. When I'm satisfied with the final coats I will often put a good furniture polish on a small piece of 0000x steel wool and gently rub it on in the direction of the grain, buff it off and add pure wax and buff again.

For a flatter sheen, the last step is a light 0000x steel wool buff without wax, your choice.

stan
02-05-2015, 07:10 AM
wow Axe in a day!

Have also been reading about builders who use Solarez as a top clear coat - essentially UV cured polyester surfboard resin - dry in 3-4 mins , yep minutes, of UV light - best in sun....

keloooe
02-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Definitely an interesting technique!

TZK321
19-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Has anyone tried this?