PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive sandpaper for fret levelling

BenWA
30-04-2015, 08:40 AM
So 2 years after getting my kit i still havent done a fret dress cos im the slackest ever.

ive got a radiused sanding block, but apparently adhesive sandpaper is hard to get in aus. anyone got any hot tips for finding some, or alternatively any sneaky luthiers trade secrets for sticking normal sandpaper to the block in a manner that will hold it there well enough to level the frets, yet will still come off nice and easy at the end?

thanks!

pablopepper
30-04-2015, 08:53 AM
http://emjayproducts.com.au/double-sided-tapes/differential-adhesive-high-tack-low-tack/double-sided-high-tack-low-tack-tape-24mm-x-25m.html
High tack side on the paper, low tack side on the block.

Or, just wrap it around the block.

andrewdosborne
30-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Hello Ben, on my radius block I use double sided tape to adhere the paper to the block. Seems to work ok. Maybe also spray on adhesive but never tried this?

stan
30-04-2015, 08:54 AM
I just wrapped it gently around a radiused block to do a fretboard, and that turned out fine. No glue and no tape. See my harmony thread in the link below

dingobass
30-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Www.thesandpaperman.com.au

This guy has it all and is very reasonably priced

dave.king1
30-04-2015, 08:46 PM
How about some blue masking tape on the sanding block and super glue the paper to that, job done peel the tape off and throw in the bin.

Someone on here linked a YouTube clip of this a month or so ago, from memory they were UK luthiers

moody
01-05-2015, 11:12 AM
How about some blue masking tape on the sanding block and super glue the paper to that, job done peel the tape off and throw in the bin.

Someone on here linked a YouTube clip of this a month or so ago, from memory they were UK luthiers

I think depending on the superglue that you could have some leakage. I wouldn't want to be trying to get it off afterwards.

keloooe
01-05-2015, 01:14 PM
I second DB's referral, I used some of their papers on my Strat and they are spectacular!

BenWA
05-07-2015, 10:00 AM
i never ordered these yet cos im super slack, which grits and type should i be gettig from the sandpaper man?

BenWA
23-07-2015, 12:42 PM
for anyone vaguely interested i finally got all the stuff which i needed together and did a fret level and reshaping. its not the best job ever, but was only my first go, and it drastically improved the playability of the guitar so im happy. my fret shaping file was a cheap ebay jobby and it was shite, gonna get a proper one next time.

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 01:10 PM
well done Ben its all a learning curve but glad the axe plays better (was it a tele kit from memory ?)
As DB always tells me cheap tools give cheap results so worth spending a bit more on a fret crowning tool.

BenWA
23-07-2015, 01:22 PM
yeah it was a tele thinline. i figured it wasnt worth splashing out on a better tool cos i didnt think id do more than 1 kit, but i think it would deffos be worth having for in the future. hopefully once my tax return comes through ill step up and get another kit to start!

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Ben I don't think anyone on the forum has stopped at 1 kit hahhaha Warning the more kits you build the more GAS you get haha

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 02:53 PM

Yeah the builder was was Ben from Crimson guitars. Definitely recommend this method, I've used it on a leveling beam as well as for holding down routing templates and it's just too easy, I love it!!

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 02:57 PM
As DB always tells me cheap tools give cheap results so worth spending a bit more on a fret crowning tool.

As I always say, make do with what you've got. It would be great to have a shed full of Stew Mac gear, but unfortunately impossible for most.

BenWA
23-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Yeah the builder was was Ben from Crimson guitars. Definitely recommend this method, I've used it on a leveling beam as well as for holding down routing templates and it's just too easy, I love it!!

yeah that was the technique i went with in the end. worked a treat. the crimson guitars instructional vids are great

dingobass
23-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Another way is to use Artists spray adhesive.
A can will last for years and is much easier than tape and CA glue.
Just spray the paper though, or you may have problems getting the paper off......

Tweaky
14-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Here is a way to have any sandpaper grade you want securely stuck to whatever you want, and to also be easily removable....and it's NOT double sided tape use

Items needed.
Sandpaper.
Masking tape
Super Glue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub6PsY4cgwg