PDA

View Full Version : Excited or what?

Rabbitz
20-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Hi All,

Just got the email to say my LP-1M kit is on its way.

(Thanks Adam - really quick service!)

Ok a little about me.

I have been in and around the music biz since 1981. Roadie, Instrument Tech (staging), Merch Biatch, all of that.

Spent the first 20 years of being a tech knowing how to play one chord - then one of the guys I did a bit of work with decided it was time to learn how to play.

Well I can play, but it would be best described as "crappy" but I enjoy it.

Anyway I am off to clear some space on the workbench - actually I might just clear some room and build a new bench - this might take a while...

wokkaboy
20-04-2015, 04:02 PM
nice one Rabbitz, its always exciting knowing there is a kit on it's way.
Clear some space for sure.
Any idea what colours you may stain/paint the LP-1M and any hardware upgrades ?

Rabbitz
20-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Hi wokkaboy,

As this is a first attempt the hardware is standard for now. I'll build it first then see about changing it :)

I've ordered the Coolangatta Gold Dingotone kit. I am too much of a newbie to risk ending up in the naughty room at the outset. :)

wokkaboy
20-04-2015, 04:23 PM
nice one, the website won't let me upload a pic but I built a LP-1M in coolangatta gold and it came out pretty good. Popped the flames with a black stain before the coolangatta gold stain. Also got a black hardware upgrade.
Here's a link to the build diary, go to the last page
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3012&page=4&highlight=coolangatta

Rabbitz
20-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Wow, that grain didn't 'pop' it exploded!

wokkaboy
20-04-2015, 04:41 PM
cheers Rabbitz.
You can do the same with your kit. Have a look at page one. Put a coat of black stain and sand it back so just the flames are highlighted and then put the stain over it.
Just remember the caps (veneer) is very thin so you can't sand it much

stan
20-04-2015, 05:07 PM
Welcome Rabbitz, sounds like a cool project, keep us posted

Fretworn
21-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Welcome Rabbitz! I grew up in Mount Colah, spent the first 22 years of my life there. My parents still live in the same house 23 years later on.

Rabbitz
21-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Hey Fretworn - glad there is a local around about the place.

I am near the footy field.

Rabbitz
22-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Crushed.

I know it has to get here from the other side of the continent.

An Australia Post contractor pulled onto the drive this morning. (I am at home dealing with storm damage and flooding - a whole other story)

The guy jumped out grabbed a box and headed towards the door. I am thinking "alright!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

He gets to the patio where we have (another) house number, he stops, checks his electronic do-hickey, does an about turn and heads into next door.

I am crushed.

:D

kimball492
22-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Ouch sorry to hear about storm damage . The postman is just teasing you . Did you hear neighbour shout out woo hoo I have a guitar delivered in error lol

wokkaboy
22-04-2015, 10:32 AM
oh no Rabbitz, hope the storm damage isn't too severe, looks terrible what I saw on the news.
What does your Oz post tracker say ?
You will recognise a PBG box are wide and about 60mm high, doubt too many other packages look like the shape of a guitar kit

gavinturner
22-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Hey Rabbitz! I am on the central coast just half an hour up the freeway. Im also dealing with storm damage. Great to have another builder close by!

Cheers,
Gav.

Rabbitz
24-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Hey Gav,

We get inundated by run off from the good old Pacific Hwy.

I've spent a fortune on mitigation, sumps, pumps and the like.

At least this time we didn't get any (detectable) water inside the house.

Needless to say all of the instruments were well above ground level...

Rabbitz
27-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Well it is here. It looks good to my eyes.

Thanks for the quick service Adam - outstanding!

I guess what little spare time I have is now gone.

Due to rain interrupting play, I am still sans workbench.

I just need to keep telling myself - slow and steady, slow and steady...

Anyhoo, back to rebuilding the sump pump, another east coast low is on its way and SWMBO would be displeased if I started a new project before I got the pump back in operation :)

Slow and steady.
Slow and steady.
Slow and steady.
Slow and steady.
Slow and steady.
Slow and steady.

stan
27-04-2015, 05:39 PM
hopefully you get to start soon, all the best