PDA

View Full Version : Pickup and Pot wiring Cloth vs PVC

stan
17-04-2015, 06:30 AM
Lots of myths out there about wiring, and tone etc.

Some informative stuff here, scroll down for the vid. By Dylan McKerchie of Dylanpickups:

In short it doesn't matter, watch and decide for yourself.

IMO cloth wiring looks awesome though

http://www.dylanmckerchie.com/cloth-covered-wire-vs-pvc-any-difference-read-and-watch/

dingobass
17-04-2015, 09:25 AM
Agreed. It isnt the insulation but the quality of the wire..
Although personally, I prefer the look of cloth insulated wire....

Wrappings for pups? Either or as both work just as well. Again it comes down to personal tastes.

stan
17-04-2015, 09:52 AM
nothing looks nicer than a neat cloth loom, even though only we tend to see it.

however , I am of the belief that if you add quality touches to the parts that are not seen, the quality of the bits that are will be better as well... it's an attitude thing

wokkaboy
17-04-2015, 09:57 AM
I like the look of cloth wiring but have trouble trimming off the cloth to expose the wire. My sheath cutters have trouble and doesn't leave a clean edge of the cloth. Looks really messy
Anyone got a better method ?

Nickosaurus
17-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Any wire looks good if you keep it neat. :D Cloth wire does look very professional though

wokkaboy
17-04-2015, 10:45 AM
I agree Nicko about neat wiring but really only builders see the control cavity. A player would only need to open the cover if something goes wrong or the rare upgrade.
I'm too scared to remove the control cover of some of my earlier builds !

stan
17-04-2015, 11:49 AM
to neaten it up, just cut off a short amount of heat shrink and apply. It just goes over the frayed , cut end.
So you have cloth coated wire, about 5mm of heat shrink, then the exposed wire.
Slide the heatshrink up the wire to solder the end, and slide it down after soldering, a bit of heat, then neato...

wokkaboy
17-04-2015, 11:50 AM
nice one cheers Stan Mr Overlord, I will have to get some heatshrink, and you heat it up with a small gas blow torch ?

stan
17-04-2015, 06:50 PM
you could, or a cigarette lighter will do it (you dont actually have to touch flame to it), heat gun is good, hair drier will work, touch it on the hot main shaft of your soldering iron.
My preference is a heat gun.
Experiment and see what works for you

dingobass
17-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Yep, love the heat shrink.

I use a 4mm one, it slides over the lugs on the pots and switches perfectly.
Helps to reduce any chance of short outs and adds that really pro look..

I have a flameless refillable gas heat thingy thats just the dogs bollocks for heatshrink.

keloooe
17-04-2015, 10:24 PM
I love the look of cloth wire with heatshrink around the lugs and cloth ending! Pair it up with CTS pots and Switchcraft switches.... Very clean and professional look!

kells80aus
18-04-2015, 05:19 AM
Waddaya mean no difference in tone.... rofl
Actually I think it does improve the tone by removing the hidden harmonics caused by spurious magnetic interfence.
I cover the whole length of the shielding with clear shrink wrap. :)

dingobass
18-04-2015, 09:15 AM
PK might have a point but if you use good quality wire there shouldnt be too much in the way of hummy buzzy bitz.. Especially if you shield everything in sight :)

Like the idea of covering the shielded wire in clear heatshrink, noice touch PK:)

kells80aus
18-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Shielded cotton cover wiring loom. covered with clear shrink wrap

dingobass
18-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Noice one, PK :)

keloooe
18-04-2015, 01:42 PM
Noice one, PK :)

Agreed. The clear shrink does make it look good!

kells80aus
18-04-2015, 03:03 PM
tks Kell & Db. The shrink wrapp makes it look good and reduces the possibility of shorts. :D

stan
18-04-2015, 05:34 PM
looks great PK, very neat too