PDA

View Full Version : LP neck query

PJCounty
15-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Hi Folks,

Apologies if this appears somewhere else on the forum ( I did search) I was just wanting to enquire into which neck profiles are supplied with the LP model.

Cheers

wokkaboy
15-04-2015, 07:23 PM
hey PJ, do you mean the fingerboard radius or the depth and curve of the back of the neck ?

PJCounty
15-04-2015, 07:57 PM
hey PJ, do you mean the fingerboard radius or the depth and curve of the back of the neck ?

Hey,

Yeah the depth and curve of the back of the neck Wokka

Cheers

wokkaboy
15-04-2015, 10:50 PM
It's a bit hard to measure PJ and probably varies as you move up the neck. If you are in the Melbourne area there are quite a few forum members who have built a LP kit who I'm sure would be happy for you to check out the neck profile. In my opinion they have enough meat on them to reshape the profile to suit your preference.
Maybe a Melbourne forumite may see this thread and swap locations

WeirdBits
15-04-2015, 11:43 PM
I've got a contour gauge so if you want I'll try to grab some impressions from a couple of untouched necks and post some pics for comparison, hopefully tomorrow. That should give you a reasonable idea of the shape/profile etc., maybe an LP, SG, JR and ST for comparison.

PJCounty
16-04-2015, 06:05 AM
I've got a contour gauge so if you want I'll try to grab some impressions from a couple of untouched necks and post some pics for comparison, hopefully tomorrow. That should give you a reasonable idea of the shape/profile etc., maybe an LP, SG, JR and ST for comparison.

Thanks for your feedback guys!

I guess ultimately I'm trying to gather whether the neck that comes with the LP kit is a thinish 60's style profile or a thicker profile ( like a studio C shape) my preference is a thinner neck.

Cheers
PJ

stan
16-04-2015, 08:37 AM
since you like the thinner neck, it's win win for you.
If they are the thicker ones - sanding it to profile shouldn't be an issue
If they are the thin ones, well, that's what you want.
I have 2 LPs on the go, but I'm unsure about the profiles...

wokkaboy
16-04-2015, 08:39 AM
yes PJ sure you can shape the neck to the profile you prefer, should be enough meat on them

stan
16-04-2015, 08:47 AM
yep Wokka, there is plenty

dingobass
16-04-2015, 12:44 PM
From memory the LP's have a shallow C profile neck.

As Woks said, there is eough meat there to take some off to make it thinner but dont take off any more than 3-4mm as you run the risk of the truss rod exploding out like an Alien! :)

stan
16-04-2015, 04:16 PM
sounds all good then PJ!

WeirdBits
16-04-2015, 05:27 PM
They're a bit rough but, as promised, here are the profile comparisons. All of the profiles were measured at the 5th fret (up to the edge/start of the fretboard). I tried to keep the scale of the images as close as possible, but they're not perfect.

I've found the Mahogany necks have a slightly thinner/shallower profile than the Maple versions, so I've included both, plus a direct comparison between two Mahogany/Maple LP variants.

PJCounty
16-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated!

👍😊