PDA

View Full Version : Cooler weather and Dingotone

dingobass
08-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Now that Summer is over I just wanted to take the oppourtunity to remind folk that Dingotone will take longer to cure.

The best bet is to try and keep your Guitar in a warmer place to ensure proper curing.

If you can, find a well ventilated place indoors where the temperature is a constant 20+ degrees.

keloooe
08-04-2015, 08:53 PM
DB, can you give us estimates for various temperatures?

wokkaboy
08-04-2015, 10:06 PM
DB how long would nitro on an iceman take to cure?

keloooe
08-04-2015, 10:13 PM
DB how long would nitro on an iceman take to cure?

Haha classic!

dingobass
08-04-2015, 11:26 PM
Thats it. You are soooooo going to cop an email from Miss Fiona, Woks.....
If ya know whats good for ya, RUN! and dont look back :)

stan
09-04-2015, 05:39 AM
at least he didnt ask if nitro will go over Dingotone....

dingobass
09-04-2015, 08:21 AM
Good point Stan.
That would have Miss Fiona tracking him down.... And that would be bad as she takes no prisoners :)

wokkaboy
09-04-2015, 08:32 AM
haha nah I'm not that stupid to ask that question. I was going to mention the iceman would be decked out with GFS pups and the tuners that DB hates, what are they again DB ?

stan
09-04-2015, 09:47 AM
you cant make him say it Wokka.

Something tells me he's getting ready to send Miss Fiona around and I have a feeling you won't win....

wokkaboy
09-04-2015, 10:16 AM
haha yeah Stan, I like to push people to the limit and extra special push for Pies fans !
My team Freo plays your team Sunday Stan !

stan
09-04-2015, 11:00 AM
The way we've started, I think you're in with a good chance

wokkaboy
09-04-2015, 11:04 AM
its always a good game Cats and Freo Stan. I watched most of the Hawks/Cats game and I think Hawks are really on fire

dingobass
09-04-2015, 11:17 AM
On fire just like your butt will be after Miss Fi gets hold of ya Woks :)

wokkaboy
09-04-2015, 11:20 AM
haha thanks for the warning DB ! I will be laying low next few days !

keloooe
09-04-2015, 11:24 AM
haha yeah Stan, I like to push people to the limit and extra special push for Pies fans !
My team Freo plays your team Sunday Stan !

Hurry bro, You can stay here for as long as you need!

wokkaboy
09-04-2015, 11:28 AM
thanks for the offer Pest ! I can go to the Cats/Freo game while I'm over haha

keloooe
09-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Haha yeah!

stan
09-04-2015, 12:54 PM
its always a good game Cats and Freo Stan. I watched most of the Hawks/Cats game and I think Hawks are really on fire

Yep just too good on the day. You're right Cats/Freo should be good. Cats are at home, so very hard to beat (I hope)

wokkaboy
09-04-2015, 01:10 PM
should be a good match Stan, both teams super hungry, lets hope its a close-ish game. You going ?

Brendan
09-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Wokks - that Iceman - doesn't have a Hipshot bridge does it?

wokkaboy
09-04-2015, 10:50 PM
Sure does Bman and hipshot tuners too !

Raven
17-09-2017, 10:40 PM
I live in the hills east of Melbourne at an altitude of about 500m and the temperature range at this time of year is depressing at best (0-10C). Following a trick I learned a number of years ago for drying paint on plastic models I was thinking about making a drying box - basically a large plastic storage tub with a low wattage incandescent light inside and a cheap meat roasting thermometer inserted through the lid to monitor internal temperature. Any comments on viability or issues ? Is there an upper temperature limit to be observed ?
(I've just started on my first project - an Ash body Jagmaster and was going to put DT on it)

Fretworn
18-09-2017, 12:38 PM
I have no experience with this, but my only question would be around humidity in the box. Once the humidity goes up it takes longer for curing to occur, especially for the top coats. Plastic models aren't porous and you are painting them with enamel paint, whereas wood is porous and you are filling those pores with stain, so a closed, warm environment may be detrimental to both the finish and wood.

If you want to try to try it find some off cut of large pored wood (ash, like your guitar if you can find it) and run some tests first.

Simon Barden
18-09-2017, 06:11 PM
A box with some holes in for ventilation would help to reduce the build up of evaporated solvents in the box whilst allowing some of the heat to escape so that it doesn't get overly warm in the box. If you warm air up, its relative humidity drops and so encourages evaporation. If the solvent and any evaporated moisture from the wood has nowhere to go, then the %RH and solvent content of the air in the box will increase and inhibit further drying. So you certainly need to encourage some cross-ventilation in the box - low down holes on one side and high-up holes on the other side. Making quite a few holes and then using tape to decrease or increase the number of ventilation holes can help regulate the internal temperature. I'd also suggest screening the bulb so that no direct light falls on the guitar body. At close range you can get a lot of radiant heat from a lightbulb, which can cause local hotspots on the body and you'll get uneven drying. You could even rig up a small computer style fan in the box to circulate the air. I'd keep the body raised on blocks so that air can get all around it - you've got enough cavities on the guitar to use when propping it up so that you don't need to use and props on the finish.

Meat thermometers aren't very accurate, especially in the low temperature range, so I'd do a rough calibration of one against a better thermometer first. Just leave them both sitting in the same location for 30 minutes - making sure that neither the thermometer bulb or the point of the meat thermometer is touching any surface, they are just in the air, and there is no direct sunlight falling on them.

I have no experience with DT, but I'd have thought a maximum of 30°-35°C in the box should be OK.