ihasmario
04-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Hi guys,

How do you shield hollow guitars?

Thanks,
Chris.

stan
04-04-2015, 10:45 AM
you cant really Chris. Just make sure you have a good grounding wire from the pots to the bridge. I am happy to be corrected on this....

kells80aus
04-04-2015, 11:56 AM
easy.

I used push back sheilded cotton every where for my GR-1SF(It's the Not White one).
Keep the metal covered pick ups as they are shields.

All should be good. Well it's as good as it gets.

PK

gavinturner
04-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Yep agree with PK. Use the braided shield wire with the cotton inner. You can solder the braiding directly to use as the ground. Awesome stuff and no noise at all.

cheers,
Gav.

dingobass
04-04-2015, 12:37 PM
Wot PK and Gav said.
The hums and buzzes are a part of the hollow body experience but if you use braided wire you can cut them down heaps.

kells80aus
04-04-2015, 01:44 PM
I bought a 25 foot roll of the stuff from StewMac's. you can get it on FleaBay and a few other places.
The stuff on Fleacebay is way over priced.

Your hollow body loom should look a bit like this . I used an enclosed 3-Way switch but you can just as easily use the open Gibbo styled ones.

My Setup is 1 Tone, 2 Pick up Vols and 1 Master Vol pot.
The tone pot I used an A500k push pull pot to switch from a .023uf Cap toa .068uf caps. The Vol pots are also A500k.
I've done these using .023 & .047uf caps. but the amount of discernable tone change is bugger all.

Cheers PK
Melb

stan
04-04-2015, 02:33 PM
great info guys

kells80aus
04-04-2015, 03:50 PM
One more item on this.

If you are using a tailpiece then drill a small hole in the middle of the mounting place for the tailpiece, then run an earth wire from here. this substitutes for grounding the bridge.

PK

Andy123
12-08-2017, 11:42 AM
I know this is an ancient thread, but I thought it might keep the place tidy if relevant conversation were kept to the one place.

I have a custom ES-5V on the way. I intend on keeping everything outside of the body as much as possible to try to preserve the acoustic qualities of the top board. To that end I intend on getting a humbucker which attaches to the bottom of the neck and sort of hovers just above the face of the guitar. I'll be adding a pick guard to which I'll attempt to mount a volume and tone knob.

The only "inside" electrical bit will be the jack. I've entertained the notion of using an endpin jack if I can get a tailpiece which will accommodate (or can at least be drilled out enough to accommodate).

Would I still be looking to ground on the tailpiece if the jack is in contact with it?
Would there be any point in enclosing the underside of the pick guard where the pots are with foil or something?

...and yes, I have no idea what I'm doing!