PDA

View Full Version : May 2015 Guitar of the Month

adam
03-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Enter your finished guitar here to be judged for Pit Bull Guitars May 2015 Guitar of the Month.

Remember:

One guitar per member per month (if we have more than 6 entries)
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)

We need 4 photos:

full guitar shot from the front;
close up of the body finish;
shot of the back of the guitar; and
close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Post your photos in this thread.

Please note: From the outset, this competition has always been exclusively for amateur and hobby guitar kit builders. If you are making and successfully selling finished guitars (from scratch or from kits), for a profit, then please do not enter this competition. Making guitars for friends or selling a finished guitar or two for charity does NOT disqualify you.

Competition for May closes 30 April 2015

Winner will be judged by the Pit Bull Guitars Judging Panel, including the winner of the April GOTM.

GerryVooDoo
06-04-2015, 09:38 PM
My IB-7 build in what I'm calling "Xenoplasm burst"
Very proud of this one. I used to own a 7 string but I had to sell it a few years ago when I needed the money. Very happy to have all seven strings back again. No matter which production 7 strings I look at none of them excited me, thanks to pit bull guitars I have been able to create what I could always see in my head.
Cheers

vh2580
07-04-2015, 05:06 AM
Gerry, Love the colour, very nicely done burst. Very cool looking guitar.

gavinturner
07-04-2015, 06:17 AM
Wow! Beautiful shredder Gerry. That's one amazing burst you've created!

cheers,
Gav.

keloooe
07-04-2015, 08:16 AM
Very nice Gerry! That is a very fine looking axe!

wokkaboy
07-04-2015, 08:42 AM
very nicely done Gerry you nailed the burst and the colours look really cool. Was it done with an air gun or spray cans ? I'll probably be entering a green and black axe as well, popular colour combo !

andrewdosborne
07-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Nice job Gerry and great start to this months competition! Awesome burst very well done.

Fretworn
07-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Wow Gerry. That is an amazing finish.

GerryVooDoo
07-04-2015, 02:40 PM
I did it all with rattle cans, lime green followed by jungle green and then gloss black with a gloss clear. I wanted to play around with an abnormal colour scheme and I think it came out just the way I wanted.
Cheers

wokkaboy
07-04-2015, 02:48 PM
you did well Gerry to get those results from rattle cans. Almost matched the lime green pickup rings too !

Nickosaurus
07-04-2015, 03:31 PM
slime burst ib7 sweet :D

GerryVooDoo
07-04-2015, 04:07 PM
I actually painted the pick up surrounds with the lime green and clear.

GerryVooDoo
07-04-2015, 04:09 PM
I actually painted the surrounds in the lime green

wokkaboy
07-04-2015, 04:09 PM
ah nice trick there Gerry, never thought of doing that, can't get a better colour match than that method !
Another tip Gerry you can edit a post instead of re-typing/re-posting it and adding/editing the text

stan
07-04-2015, 05:51 PM
great work Gerry, looks radioactive!

nickflook
23-04-2015, 11:13 AM
accidentally posted this in the april thread! anyways, here it is again,. my Ex 1. I used a deep mahogany satin stain, I must have stained and sanded this thing a trillion time. I put a seymour duncan full shred pickup in bridge and an old ibanez infinity 2 in the neck. Im in love with how it all turned out. I learned so much from this. You guys are the best.

wokkaboy
23-04-2015, 11:18 AM
well done Nick the EX turned out very nice. I would have guessed is the stain Feast Watson Mahogany ? great colour.
Can't believe its the 2nd entry of the month with a week to go !

WeirdBits
23-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Looks great Nick, it's turned out really well. You may want to also post a photo of the back of the guitar, just to make sure you meet the GOTM requirements (http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3695).

wokkaboy
23-04-2015, 11:58 AM
5 posts off the 1000 Weirdy !

pablopepper
23-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Wow, great colour! Very classy looking EX.

Jeff Sheridan
23-04-2015, 02:09 PM
That guitar looks like it belongs on a space ship. not a clean white ship but a dark and dangerous alien ship. Awsome looking!

stan
23-04-2015, 04:26 PM
wow Nick, love the EX, nice work.
If that avatar is a pic of you, then it's perfect for you, you'll rock out on that one!

gavinturner
23-04-2015, 07:33 PM
An amazing looking EX Nick! I really love these guitars in a more natural finish. Yours is a stunner! I would love to hear how she sounds..

cheers,
Gav.

Nickosaurus
23-04-2015, 08:16 PM
A gentleman's EX ;) Looks great mate

nickflook
24-04-2015, 03:02 AM
A gentleman's EX ;) Looks great mate

haha yeah, a gentlemans Ex indeed! And I too always LOVED natural wood finish guitars, they almost look like really nice pieces of furniture lol. I could never find one with the exact sort of finish I wanted, and since I always wanted to build a guitar, i thought, NOWS THE TIME!!

And yeah, unfortunately that crazy looking dude in my avatar is me, lol. Im a caveman.

Love you guys

nickflook
24-04-2015, 03:24 AM
here's a quick crappy video I uploaded showing me pluggin it in for the first time and actually having it all work!

https://vimeo.com/125833893

stan
24-04-2015, 05:41 AM
very cool Nick, sounds great

andrewdosborne
24-04-2015, 06:34 AM
Good work Nick, love the finish & nice and meaty sounding

wokkaboy
24-04-2015, 08:47 AM
sounds good Nick looks like you were playing a drop D tuning (or possibly lower) ?
Better keep the language family friendly buddy as some builders have sons and daughters helping the builds and reading the forums.

nickflook
24-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Oh man, im such an idiot, sorry , youre right !! I went and edited my posts to tone things down. I just forget where I am sometimes

wokkaboy
24-04-2015, 09:50 AM
no drama Nick, just letting you know before the moderators tell you ! It's easy to forget when your pumped and that happy with your first build !

Fretworn
24-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Great job Nick.

nickflook
24-04-2015, 11:49 AM
I realize I was supposed to attach a picture of the back. It was stained and sanded quite a few times and then tossed a layer of polyurethane on. It really made the Ash wood look amazing

wokkaboy
24-04-2015, 11:55 AM
oh it's ash so an EXA-1 kit, I was thinking it was basswood but now I can see some ash grain under the darkish stain. I've built one of these in a black stain and got an unopened EXA-1 kit. The neck on this model feels really slick.
Nick looks like you are missing a screw on the control cover plate !

nickflook
24-04-2015, 12:26 PM
lol, yeah, this was an older picture I had when I was still putting this thing together. I was constantly taking that plate off so I didnt want to have both screws in.

vh2580
24-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Nice Build love the color and sounds chunky as.

wokkaboy
27-04-2015, 10:14 AM
this is my entry for May GOTM, was a beta test for Dingotone Nullarbor Ochre and couldn't be more happier with the colour. Well done DB ! As the white pickguard goes well with the colour had to use a maple neck. Blackheart sassafras veneer on headstock.
This build is using stock parts. I posted a link of a quick video of this axe on the build diary. With no setup sounds fine

wokkaboy
27-04-2015, 10:16 AM
here's pics of the back and headstock

dave.king1
27-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Glorious, sensational and all that

The body colour is very close to my Squier mahogany Thinline

jarrod
27-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Nice build Wokks.

ponch
27-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Here is my entry. Been a while between drinks so here goes.

All stock except for the cloth wiring. Sounds great as is and plays sensational.
Top is fw black sanded back, then Danish oil then semi gloss wipe on poly. Back is a golden stain with semi gloss poly. Neck is tru oil, water slide decal logo and wax transfer neck logo finish her off. 29582959296029612962

ponch
27-04-2015, 02:52 PM
2963last one

ponch
27-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Almost forgot the headstock. Only custom part of the body is the carve on the lower horn for fret access. 2964

gavinturner
27-04-2015, 06:29 PM
An amazing build Andrew. That top is just gorgeous and you've really made the most of it.

cheers,
Gav.

stan
27-04-2015, 07:18 PM
very slick build Andrew. Kept it nice and simple and let the wood speak for itself - very nice

andrewdosborne
27-04-2015, 07:51 PM
Andrew, what a stunning finish. Love it

andrewdosborne
27-04-2015, 07:53 PM
this is my entry for May GOTM, was a beta test for Dingotone Nullarbor Ochre and couldn't be more happier with the colour. Well done DB ! As the white pickguard goes well with the colour had to use a maple neck. Blackheart sassafras veneer on headstock.
This build is using stock parts. I posted a link of a quick video of this axe on the build diary. With no setup sounds fine

Awesome build Woks and love the sound demo.

wokkaboy
27-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Wow Andrew that spalt prs looks great. Good to see you back building again. Best of luck all entries

robin
28-04-2015, 04:04 AM
Wow guys another stella month in quality if not quantity. There might not be so many entries this month but I would still hate to be a judge.

Good luck all.

rob

marke
28-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Here is my first ever build, JB4 and I'm very please with the results. All stock except for the Entwistle pickups which sound great. The build was made a heck of a lot easier with all the great help and videos on the site and forum. Thanks. (couldn't get all the images in portrait view here)

wokkaboy
28-04-2015, 01:19 PM
wow well done Marke looks great, is that a gold paint ? Love the headstock shape is original !

pablopepper
28-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Wow! That is super cool! I love the subtle shaping on the horns, great headstock and fantastic colour. Yep, I'm into it, for sure.

keloooe
28-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Beautiful JB Marke! All entries are top notch so far, keep it up guys!

gavinturner
28-04-2015, 03:05 PM
Great JB Marke! Love the colour and the headstock shape really rocks. Amazing job!

cheers,
Gav.

marke
28-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys :D. Yes a mouse gold (apparently) two part paint with a polyurethane finish both sprayed. I wanted to make the shape a bit more my own and not a norm JB hence the shaping of the headstock and horns plus a bit more bevel edging on the body.

Fretworn
29-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Great Job Marke.

adam
02-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Thanks everyone, another bumper month. I'll get the judges onto the job at hand.

Hopefully have the results tomorrow night!

stan
02-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Just saw the JB Marke, excellent, love the gold

Nickosaurus
03-05-2015, 09:36 AM
Digging the custom touches on the jb mate.

JoeSmith
04-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Nice video nick, I liked the Ratt riffs they are one of my favorite bands. Some really nice guitars being built here.

gavinturner
06-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Just watched the sound demo Nick. Great playing! The EX really sounds the business.

cheers,
Gav.

adam
08-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Apologies for the delay, it's been a busy week.

The results are in for our Pit Bull Guitars May 2015 Guitar of the Month.

In submission order:

GerryVoodoo's IB-7 Xenoplasm Burst.

Great attention to detail - missing logo, but other than that can't fault it.

The green burst is unusual and really makes this Guitar stand out from the pack :)

This is the coolest IB-7 shredder I've yet seen on the forum. The black and green burst is beautifully executed and the flouro green hardware ties the whole design together. A really amazing build!

Cool looking guitar really stands out from the pack.

Very interesting burst, a real shredders delight. Would have liked to see you claim it with your name on the headstock.
There were a few tear marks....ooh...that was the couch. All in all a very presentable axe with some neat finishing touches.

This guitar screams out "Play me under neon lights" Love the colours but would have loved to have seen it in a drooling gloss but none the less a beautiful looker.

NickFlook's EXA-1 in Mahogany

Love the natural look on this one - kept it simple and just looks right! Bonus for the vid!

Very interesting choice of pups, she sounds like a growling cat. The only thing missing from this build is the truss cover.....
For a first build, you have done quite well and I look forwards to seeing more from you.

There is something really amazing about the juxtaposition of the EX shape and the stained ash grain. It's like a piece of furniture gone feral. I just can't get enough of this look, and the execution is top notch.

Somehow this looks mean, shows off the grain in an understated way.

A really good effort on this EX-1, I like the individual choices made on the pickups. Natural finish was a great choice. Would have liked to see the headstock named and dressed up with a truss Rod cover - but hey! that's just me. All round, a very good effort and sounds great too.

Wow this really puts class into a metal guitar , nicely finished and clearly good prep work. I will send my postal address for a closer inspection. Very hard to fault.

Wokka's ST-1 in Nullarbor Ochre

That colour combo works nicely - great workhorse of a guitar!

I would like to see you refine your headstock shape some more. The top is just a tad bulbous to my eye.
Also the E&B string tree needs to go up between the A&D tuners to balance them up. Otherwise, another really well turned out Guitar.

Another fantastic strat from Wokka. It's the first time we've seen Nullarbor Ochre, and it doesn't disappoint - suiting the strat shape beautifully. The headstock veneer matches the body colour perfectly, and the maple neck is the perfect shade between them. Wokka's usual attention to detail with the finish is evident everywhere here.

Really nice work Wokka good choice of stain and very nicely built.

A rather nice looking Strat and that N.O Dingotone looks amazing.Would love to see you start challenging yourself more with some variations around the hardware Woks. A string through Strat or perhaps a bridge and middle single Coil with a mid-boost circuit! :) Thought the Maple neck was an inspired choice too.
Really like the headstock, was that Tasmanian Sassafras? Indeed it was.

This guitar has that timeless classic look about it , nicely finished and a colour that just so suits this guitar . Wokk's your colour choices just get better and better. I hate to say this but rules is rules ( set up your intonation)

Andrew Walker's PRS-1S

Stunning - this looks too good to be real!

The scallop on the lower horn looks slightly wonky.. Or is that just the way the light is playing on it?
Otherwise it is a nice touch.
The finish is dark and moody, but not sure if it really suits the spalt.

What an amazing spalted top, and Andrew has made the absolute most of it. If this was hanging in a shop I'd make a bee-line for it! Perfect finishing choices and really well executed.

Looks fantastic, the grain really pops. When it looks this good why wouldn’t you let the timber do the talking.

I learned some new works from one of the finalists all of which could be used here. But WOW! What a gorgeous finish. That Spalted Maple, black highlights has really given this a surprisingly interesting and gorgeous finish. (We'll see you in the NR to discuss some of the products used). Some of the lighting doesn't do justice to your finish, but the headstock looks great, the body looks fantastic and I'm sure Andrew is very happy with the result (even if it still needs to be intonated).

How did you score grain like that fella. This is a great looking guitar that has had the grain popped out beautifully . My only very small personal choice is the holes in the grain could have been filled a bit but hey if that's the look you went for then it worked. But man what a choice of colour for this axe.

Marke's JB-4

Love the finish on this bass - great combo end to end!

Great to see you try a different approach to the headstock.. Not entirely convinced that it works on a JB but it is slowly growing on me.
Perhaps a bit more aggressive shaping on the horns would make the headstock and body balance out.

A really amazing JB from Marke. The colour choice is great, as are the body and headstock customisations. The solid colour finish is flawless, and brings the whole package together. A truly beautiful bass.

Beautifully finished, love the colour and bonus points for the original headstock shape.

I have to start with the headstock, I love it. Gold can be hard to work with, but you have done a great job with this Bass. Personal preference, but I probably wouldn't have done the (back of the neck) in gold and probably kept to the natural wood. This i.m.o would have lent some contrast to the guitar and would have kept the neck slick for those fast notes up and down the neck. But you have to be proud of this effort.

This is a classic shape that has been rocked up. I love the head stock and the craftsmanship is simply stunning. right down to colour and the quality you have painted it. I would go straight for this if it was hung in a shop for a close inspection and a play. Credit to you for a great looking Bass.

The runner up for May is...

NickFlook's EXA-1

And the Winner is...

Andrew Walker's PRS-1S

Congratulations Andrew, a really stunnung looking guitar.

keloooe
08-05-2015, 08:03 AM
Congrats Andrew! Awesome work!

pablopepper
08-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Hooray! This was a tough month. Well deserved win by Andrew. Congrats to all.

wokkaboy
08-05-2015, 08:33 AM
congratulations Andrew and Nick runner up. Another tough month.
FYI I couldn't move the B E string tree up any further because of the 4D logo. It's not important for the string tree to be mid way

andrewdosborne
08-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Andrew, well done absolutely spot on with the PRS-1S and well deserved runner up Nick. All other entrants - awesome entries.

gavinturner
08-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Well done to all entrants! This was a very hard month to judge - but a well deserved with for Andrew and runner up Nick. All the axes were amazing and I would be happy to own each and every one! Great work guys.

(Woohoo! 2,000 posts)

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
08-05-2015, 09:36 AM
congratulations Gav on the Overlord status. It feels good bro so enjoy it ! Pest will join you and Stan next couple of days I'd say !

Fretworn
08-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Congrats guys!

ponch
08-05-2015, 01:44 PM
Wow! Thanks heaps guys. Really appreciate it hey. Been a shite past few months so this is welcome good news.

stan
08-05-2015, 01:56 PM
well done everyone.

Super first effort Nick and well done Andrew, top notch build

WeirdBits
08-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Congrats Andrew, fantastic looking build and deserving winner. Well done Nick on runner-up with your first build.

Nickosaurus
08-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Grats Andrew!

keloooe
08-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Well done to all entrants! This was a very hard month to judge - but a well deserved with for Andrew and runner up Nick. All the axes were amazing and I would be happy to own each and every one! Great work guys.

(Woohoo! 2,000 posts)

cheers,
Gav.

Congrats Gav, I'll join you soon mate!

Gavin1393
09-05-2015, 08:55 AM
Well done Andrew. A stunningly finished guitar.

And to the lads who clocked up their 2000 posts on this very thread!

robin
09-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Well done Andrew, absolute masterpiece. Nick, awesome job for a first build. Well done to all the entrants, I would hate to be a judge these days, every entry is now professional quality.

rob

jarrod
10-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Well done guy's , some seriously nice guitars coming from the PB crew. Well done Andrew for a cracking looking axe .