PDA

View Full Version : My Buddy in the US recommends this for fretboards

kimball492
26-03-2015, 03:59 PM
Hi Guys my Buddy John in the U.S. keeps telling me that we have some great fretboard treatments in Australia
He uses one by Howards Feed N Wax .

Feed-N-Wax will enhance the natural beauty and depth of grain in finished and unfinished wood with an unique blend of soft beeswax, hard carnauba wax and pure orange oil.

http://www.howardproducts.com.au/feed-n-wax.html/

Will get some This weekend give it a go as a replacement for My Malveer Polish

stan
26-03-2015, 05:29 PM
cool, waiting to hear how it goes. The ingredients seem to be just the thing...

keloooe
26-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Based on the ingredients it should do a decent job. I used a few coats of slightly thinned linseed oil on my fretboards and it works nicely!

dingobass
26-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Or you can just buy Dingotone Guitar Wax right here at Pit Bull Guitars..

kimball492
26-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Yeah true DB Ive heard that Dingo Wax is also very good too and no Animals and plant life where harmed in any way during the making of it . A very Natural Product

dingobass
27-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Yeah true DB Ive heard that Dingo Wax is also very good too and no Animals and plant life where harmed in any way during the making of it . A very Natural Product

Thats it, Kimball :)

Just a few annoyed Bees, a few crushed tree nuts and a a bunch of Palm fronds that had the daylight beaten out of them, mixed in orange peel solvent......

kimball492
27-03-2015, 12:32 PM
What bout treading it like grapes . My father in law has bees so use his beeswax frequently . The organic honeys not bad either

stan
27-03-2015, 05:41 PM
sounds like Dingotone is the go then...

kimball492
29-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Ok bought Feed N Wax to try it jeez for the same size 480 ml one shop wanted to charge $45.00 . Drovers in Perth does it for $21.00. It's almost like a thinner version of petroleum oil jelly to apply. Smells nice more Lemon than Orange . Cleaned the fretboard with Naptha, Goes on nicely left on for 20 mins to let the fretboard drink it in then wiped off the excess . Then applied another as fretboard was dry to begin with ,so coated again left for 20 mins wiped off excess. Fitted new strings didnt have my fav Elixirs so fitted Cleartone that I had left . They just don't sound same or last half as long as the Elixirs . Glad it's last packet .
Would of liked the feed n wax to be a little thicker on application . But I know have enough for a few guitars in near future .

robin
30-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Cleaned the fretboard with Naptha,

Hi Kim,
In all the research I have been doing I keep coming across the Americans referring to "Naptha". Try as I might I have not been able to ascertain the Australian equivalent. I have seen it referred to as Methylated Spirits, Mineral Turpentine, White Spirit and Shellite. Finally someone who has used it! Can you at least give me a clue to what it is??

If I had to guess........ probably Shellite.

cheers
rob

kimball492
30-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Well from what I'm told Naptha is lighter fluid I:e zippo lighter fluid chemically it's supposed to be the same.if you go to your camping store and buy Coleman lantern fuel . That is also Naptha and cheaper than zippo lighter fuel.

Material Safety Data Sheet

Lantern Fuel (Coleman)

1. CHEMICAL PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION

Calumet Lubricants Company
2780 Waterfront Pkwy E. Suite 200
Indianapolis, IN 46214

COMPANY CONTACT: Jennifer Hall
TELEPHONE NUMBER: (318)949-2421

EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBERS
Darwin Parker @ Calumet Lubricant
(318)832-4236 8am - 4pm cst M-F.
Chemtrec (800)424-9300 After Business Hrs.

PRODUCT NAME: Calumet Lantern Fuel (Coleman)
PRODUCT CODE: 0170-00
CHEMICAL NAME: Light Hydrotreated Distillate
CAS NUMBER: 68410-97-9
CHEMICAL FAMILY: Petroleum Hydrocarbon Naphtha
CHEMICAL FORMULA: C5-C9

2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

INGREDIENT NAME
EXPOSURE LIMITS
CONCENTRAION
PERCENT BY VOLUME
Light Hydrotreated Distillate
CAS NUMBER: 68410-97-9
Petroleum Distillate (Naphtha)
TWA-400ppm

dingobass
30-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Yep, Naptha is Shellite.

Personally I prefer to use Gum Turpentine as it is a natural product sourced from trees ( by product of rosin exctraction)
It wont leave any nasty petro chems behind and it smells sooooo much nicer :)

robin
30-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Thanks Kim and DB, you guys have solved one of life's great mysteries.

Cheers guys
rob