PDA

View Full Version : Gav's Pickup Winder

gavinturner
26-03-2015, 01:52 PM
hi guys,

After endlessly reading and re-reading Gav's thread on building your own pickup winder (http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1663), I resolved that this was something that I absolutely, positively had to do. I ordered all the parts from aliexpress some months ago and have been waiting for a suitable time to get started on it. That time is now!

In terms of internal parts I bought:

240V AC -> 24V DC power supply
24V electric motor
24V electric motor controller with reverse
Electric counter
magnetic switch and magnet

All in all these parts set me back about $50 (can't remember the exact amount). I still have to get a couple of parts before I can complete the project, but that is a little way off:

240V wall socket wire (i'll probably butcher a cheap extension chord)
internal hookup wire
brackets to mount the pickup loom to the motor spindle
a guide for the wire as it spools

this will get me to the same stage as Gav, fingers crossed!! I am also thinking of incorporating an arduino circuit to measure the resistance of the pickup as it is being wound. I know that it's quite easy to build a resitance meter with Arduino (I have all the parts), but the only trick will be a mechanism to actually keep contact with the end of the wire that first attaches to the pickup and is spinning with the spool. Any ideas on how to do this would be very welcome! :p

Anyway, today I (finally) got in and started to build an enclosure. My base dimensions look good, (i made sure i could accomodate the power supply and the controller easily on the floor of the enclosure) but the height looks way off. It looks way too top heavy to me - the way it is now it will shake itself to pieces when the motor gets going. I reckon I'll take it down by half before I put the rest together. I've built a motor holder as Gav suggested (two pieces of oak with a hole through the center) and am just waiting for the glue to dry before adding the adjustment bolts and installing it on the inside wall.

Once I've done this I can get a mock up of the wiring completed. Hopefully I won't electrocute myself :cool:

cheers,
Gav.

stan
26-03-2015, 03:09 PM
..mmmmm... glad you don't write code for me, when do you have time? !

great project Gav, looking forward to my first set of hot wound Turner Pickups.... Strat set please, happy to road test them for you haha

gavinturner
26-03-2015, 03:59 PM
..mmmmm... glad you don't write code for me, when do you have time?

Luckily stan I am superhuman. I do my whole days coding before morning tea. I have to take it slow after that so that noone else feels too inferior ;).

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
26-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Wonder if i could work a slip-ring into the design to allow for resistance measuring:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/736?gclid=Cj0KEQjw3M6oBRDnnIywo5i287ABEiQAXRm7S-O-R9rYR3M5Mc2ogU8Ki_-y_B-t-EZUlYp55Ln4pUsaApdV8P8HAQ

cheers,
Gav.

stan
26-03-2015, 05:24 PM
or do some tests and work out approx ohms per 1000 turns or something, after that you can do it by count

Nickosaurus
26-03-2015, 06:38 PM
^ that's what i was going to suggest. Run 10 tests at 100/1000 winds and tests ohms. Then you can calculate winds easily through the static number

gavinturner
26-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Yes @stan that's another option!
Using arduino I can code a clever heuristic with lookup tables based on the pickup type and the number of turns, exrapolating and interpolating for values in between. This may well be the way I have to go.

cheers,
Gav.

stan
26-03-2015, 06:42 PM
i have no idea what you just said, but i think it was like what i just said. if so, good plan. if not, probably a better plan

keloooe
26-03-2015, 07:02 PM
I was just thinking of using a lookup table... Dangit Stan, Nicko and Gav, beat me to it!
I reckon a slip ring could still possibly work, but the pickup would need to be on an elevated stand to access the wires?

dingobass
26-03-2015, 08:01 PM
Just wind the bloody thing Gav. :)
Chuck on 1000 winds, measure the ohms then carry on until output reaches critical mass....

It will take a few goes before you start to wind a great pup but it is worth the effort.

Oh and build in a intergalactic space modulating flux capacitor, every pickup winder should have one......

WeirdBits
26-03-2015, 08:18 PM
I womder if you may be better off with a lightweight 'known' circumference feeder wheel for your wire to run over onto the bobbin. That way, by counting the feeder's rotations, you should be able to reasonably accurately calculate the length of wire fed onto the bobbin, rather than trying to measure 'live' resistance or base it on number of bobbin turns plus account for wire tension, bobbin swell etc. Then, a known resistance per length value calc should be easy to display live.

Not sure if this would be viable though, just spitball'n.

gavinturner
26-03-2015, 08:26 PM
@DB - The thing is, all this design means I can forstall the point of actually winding a pickup - that's the part I'm least confident about ;). But great idea about the flux capacitor, I reckon I can waste another month on that too :).

@Wierdy - yeah I had a similar thought too. Just thinking through how to make sure the fixed radius feeder always turns. There has to be a reasonably simple way? More thought required.

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
26-03-2015, 08:35 PM
For anyone who is interested in the electromagnetic characteristics of single coil pickups (strat vs p90 specifically) I just found this nice lesson paper from a university physics course. It might help when winding if some older spec'd pickup is being attempted.

https://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phys406/Lab_Handouts/Electric_Guitar_Pickup_Measurements.pdf

cheers,
Gav.

dingobass
26-03-2015, 09:52 PM
See if you can source a grooved roller bearing that fits the shaft.
They do exist, saw them 20 odd years ago when I very briefly worked in the bearings and hydraulics industry.

gavinturner
27-03-2015, 04:11 AM
Thanks DB! I'll look in to it!

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
27-03-2015, 09:24 AM
hi guys,

A little more progress today. I cut the top off the box (looks much better now) and finished off my electric motor mount. A big thanks to Gav for showing how to do this as I wouldn't have had a clue. I got the mount cut down to size, installed the screws for securing the motor, and glued the bottom of the mount to the inside wall of the enclosure. I also drilled a few holes in the back for heat escape as I was too cheap to buy a prewired power supply.

Over the weekend I should be able to get the components wired up and test that I understand the connections between them. Then it's just a simple matter of getting the enclosure finished ready to accept them.

cheers,
Gav.

keloooe
27-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Yeah half size looks much better!

gavinturner
27-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Thanks Callum :), she's coming together!

cheers,
Gav.

stan
28-03-2015, 06:18 PM
cool stuff Gav

jarrod
28-03-2015, 09:51 PM
Loving this thread Gav, have you considered an encoder on the motor for counting turns.

gavinturner
29-03-2015, 07:16 AM
thanks @stan :). I'm really enjoying building somethign different!

great idea @jarrod! I had no idea such things existed. I will definitely look into it. Might be a great idea for the next prototype - go all digital with an arduino for motor controller, counter and user interface!

cheers,
Gav.

keloooe
29-03-2015, 07:57 PM
Yeah all digital setup based off the Uno would be cool, maybe even one of those 16x2 character displays? Takes up 2 GPIO pins so that frees the rest for the other cool features!

Brendan
29-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Where are you planning on getting flatwork from? Have been chasing around for a '51 P Bass pup and have nearly resolved to go for the flatwork and make one myself.

gavinturner
30-03-2015, 03:56 AM
hey Brendan,

Stewmac has them:
http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Pickup_Kits_and_Parts/For_Jazz_and_P-Bass/Pickup_Kit_for_P-Bass.html

I have also found kits on aliexpress for strat and tele, but I'm still not sure about the pole pieces.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sell-Free-Shipping-3sets-Pack-strat-guitar-pickup-bobbin-52mm-Fiber-plate-guitar-pickups-bobbin-stagger/1521208766.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sell-Free-Shipping-Tele-neck-pickup-kits-flatwork-tele-guitar-pickup-bobbin-Alnico-5-magnets-Chrome/32250440861.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sell-Free-Shipping-Neck-bridge-Pack-Tele-guitar-pickup-bobbin-Fiber-plate-tele-guitar-pickups-kits/32250432313.html

This pole-piece and magnet element of the whole pickup equation is a mystery to me. Many kits say that the pole pieces come un-magnetized and so this would have to be done too. To what strength? Who knows! Something else to ponder!

cheers,
Gav.

keloooe
30-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Stength is something that also makes a pickup unique, just experiment!
Also RealParts have pickup kits in their catalogue as well as SM

gavinturner
30-03-2015, 11:44 AM
hi guys,

i actually had to write code today, so not as much progress as I would have liked on the pickup winder. Still, I did make some progress in my lunch break! :p I installed the electric motor into its mount, and also screwed in the magnetic switch. The mount seems to work! Take that year 7 woodworking!! :cool:

Over the weekend I glued in some small pieces of wood to create a bullpen for the power supply. Today I was able to get the power supply put in there and wired up to the end of an extension chord that I dismembered.

To test the output voltage (24V) I wired it up to the counter. It worked! The counter lit up with 000000. I couldn't resist then hooking my magnetic switch up to the counter as well. Hmm no counting? :confused: Turns out you also need to supply a voltage to the switch so that the counter is actually receiving a signal with each blip. Doh! Idiot. A couple more wires later and success!! Now the power supply is humming and she's counting quite happily.

Next step is to get the electric motor controller connected to the power and to the motor to test the forward, backwards and speed controls. Fun, fun!

cheers,
Gav.

dingobass
30-03-2015, 02:09 PM
In the Stewmac trade secrets section there is a tute on magnetising your new pickup pole pieces.
Its dead easy! Just need two rare earth magnets, a vice and polarity testing thingy and away ya go :)

stan
30-03-2015, 03:59 PM
looking good Gav, you'll have my custom pickups done in no time....

keloooe
30-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Still waiting on a set of Strat pups Gav!

gavinturner
30-03-2015, 09:42 PM
@stan, @callum, as soon as I know what I'm doing I'll wind you a set ;).

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
31-03-2015, 10:15 AM
In the Stewmac trade secrets section there is a tute on magnetising your new pickup pole pieces.
Its dead easy! Just need two rare earth magnets, a vice and polarity testing thingy and away ya go :)

Thanks for the heads up DB! I am now an expert :p. I have also read up on whether North up / North down matters and how to create hum cancelling pairs of winds.

For anyone who is interested (sorry this may be well known to you gurus) here is a link from seymour duncan explaining the wind and polarity modes of pickups and how they map to in phase / out of phase. The polarity at least was news to me.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/pickup-polarity-and-phase-made-simple/

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
01-04-2015, 01:07 PM
hi guys,

Got the enclosure and the spindle finished today (rather dodgy but it serves).
She's spinning away merrily!

http://youtu.be/CWIPRoWc3CM

All I'm waiting on now is a brass rod to make a wire guide and some wire, and a few pickup kits.

exciting times!

cheers,
Gav.

WeirdBits
01-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Awesome.

You need to get yourself a foot controller for it, like a sewing machine speed pedal or canibalise an old wah/vol pedal... or maybe just a panic "she's gonna blow" off footswitch ;)

pablopepper
01-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Cool. Can't wait to see what comes of this nifty gadget.

keloooe
01-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Very nice! So I'll be expecting my pickups in the mail in about a week?

But seriously, good job dude, maybe a bit more precision when constructing the enclosure but hey, it works! Also experiment like DB with the different variables, get YOUR own custom tone!

gavinturner
01-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys. Love the footpedal idea wierdy, i'll have to see if i can find one :P. Can't wait to actually wind a pickup or 3! I'm planning to wind a set for my strat as a first test...

cheers,
Gav.

Nickosaurus
01-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Yeah a footpedal would be rad - would you use a resistor set up like in a dimmer switch?

vh2580
01-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Gav that is an awesome build.

gavinturner
02-04-2015, 04:24 AM
Thanks Tony :). Nick - I'm not sure. I guess the foot pedal is a variable resistance of some kind. Would need to compare the resistance of the pedal with the pot in the controller circuit and then add series and/or parallel resistance to bring the foot pedal into an equivalent range (he says knowing full well the circuit is probably beyond him!!).

cheers,
Gav.

stan
02-04-2015, 09:59 AM
great work Gav, Shall i send my specs in?

andrewdosborne
02-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Nice one Gav, I'll put in my order for one over-wound Broadcaster bridge pickup soon!

gavinturner
25-04-2015, 06:51 AM
Got the wire guide installed today. Just saving some money for some 42 AWG wire and I will be in business. Got some cheap strat and tele pickup kits from aliexpress..

cheers,
Gav.

Nickosaurus
25-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Looks great gav. Did you figure out the amount of winds/resistance issue from earlier in the thread?

gavinturner
25-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Hey Nick,

no not yet. I think I'll try to do some measurements when I do the first wind of each pickup type. To measure the resistance you have to scrub off some of the coating and then spray something (acrylic) back over it (or worst case leave it bare).

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
25-04-2015, 10:09 AM
can't wait to see and hear your first home made pickup Gav, I got to get around to making one of these so may ask for some tips.
Looks great mate !

WeirdBits
25-04-2015, 01:07 PM
...then spray something (acrylic) back over it...

Nail polish?

gavinturner
25-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Great idea Scott - thanks man!

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
25-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Cheap pickup kits: one Strat set and two Tele sets ready to go. Must remember to get some rare earth magnets as well..

cheers,
Gav.

Rabbitz
25-04-2015, 02:49 PM
Please read this next question with the understanding that I had never considered that you could/would wind pick ups, so have little understanding of the wizardry and requirements.

So, why do you care about resistance? As these are an AC device - well closer to an RF device, in any case they aren't DC. This being the case wouldn't the impedance be the numbers you are looking at?

(Please feel free to dismiss my ignorance with a a well aimed retort should that be appropriate :) )

Rabbitz
25-04-2015, 02:58 PM
I wish I wish I hadn't read this thread.

I saw the references to aliexpress. I've always resisted looking there before.

How am I supposed to hide all these purchases from the Minister for Financial Restraint?

:D

gavinturner
25-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Resistance is just one measure used to denote the "hotness" of a pickup. It's a rather arbitrary measure and really only relates to the number of winds. Many pickup manufacturers use this measure though, mainly as a relative "hotness" scale. If you want to achieve a similar level to a known pickup (seymour duncan or whatever) then the quoted resistance of the pickup is one measure to get you in the ballpark (all other things being equal ;) ).

This is my understanding, having never ever wound a single pickup in my life ;) .

cheers,
Gav.

Rabbitz
25-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Thanks Gav.

Okay, now this has piqued my curiosity.

Time break out the DMM. Might also drag out the antenna analyser - it will give an indication of impedance.

(I kind of assumed that all pick ups would present similar impedance and resistance to the amp/desk/DI)

Rabbitz
25-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Regarding the resistance of a sewing machine foot pedal.

Just tested the one off the Mrs machine.

It is quite counter intuitive.

Pedal Up (Stop) = ~1.5 kΩ
Pedal Down (Fast) = ~10 kΩ

This is the reverse of what I expected.

I guess it would be easy enough to map on an Arduino or similar analogue input.

andrewdosborne
25-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Rabbitz, I'm now using 'advances of my fun money' to clear CFO approval...

stan
25-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Regarding the resistance of a sewing machine foot pedal.

Just tested the one off the Mrs machine.

It is quite counter intuitive.

Pedal Up (Stop) = ~1.5 kΩ
Pedal Down (Fast) = ~10 kΩ

This is the reverse of what I expected.

I guess it would be easy enough to map on an Arduino or similar analogue input.

Nah, think of it like a car's accelerator pedal

Nickosaurus
13-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Any progress on this Gav?

wokkaboy
13-05-2015, 09:54 AM
yeah Gav you only got a few projects on the go bud. Super keen to hear one of you home made pups

keloooe
13-05-2015, 10:04 AM
yeah Gav you only got a few projects on the go bud. Super keen to hear one of you home made pups

Just "a few"..... How about you Woks? Only got "a few"?

wokkaboy
13-05-2015, 10:07 AM
haha yeah Pest my ongoing project numbers are slowly decreasing, thats my plan. I haven't started a new kit for about 4 or 5 months. Started a scratchy about a month ago. Now DB kindly gave us a suitable neck for it I'll get stuck into that

gavinturner
13-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Hey guys,

No unfortunately I'm stuck at the "purchasing wire" stage. The finance minister here is trying to slow the economy so austerity measures have been put in place. I'm just waiting for the right time to move on it :).

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
13-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Gav you know the solution. The wife can buy another pair of shoes if you can purchase the wire and another kit !

lawry
13-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Hey guys,

No unfortunately I'm stuck at the "purchasing wire" stage. The finance minister here is trying to slow the economy so austerity measures have been put in place. I'm just waiting for the right time to move on it :).

cheers,
Gav.

If you're really stuck, I'll swap a roll of suitable wire for the Stone Roses!
And no, this is not a joke!
😇

wokkaboy
13-05-2015, 02:43 PM
wow thats a mega offer Lozza, I'd say Gav will be saying post it ASAP please Lozza !
The swap can be Gav can send you couple of Stone Roses mini buckers for your Riccy build !

lawry
13-05-2015, 05:35 PM
wow thats a mega offer Lozza, I'd say Gav will be saying post it ASAP please Lozza !
The swap can be Gav can send you couple of Stone Roses mini buckers for your Riccy build !

Hmmm. Somehow Wokka, I think you have altered my initial intent.

wokkaboy
13-05-2015, 06:37 PM
ah Lozza sorry mate, I misread your comment, I thought you had some pickup wiring that was used in a Stone Roses axe, but you are asking for Gav's Stone Roses axe ! good luck buddy !

keloooe
13-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Sorry Loz, that axe is already mine! I can trade you for it if you build those amps? Hehehehehehe...

gavinturner
13-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Lawry, unfortunately that is a little too high a price, given how many do-overs I had to endure ;). Thanks for the compliment thought dude - it's much appreciated :).

cheers,
Gav.

stan
14-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Gav, I'll buy the wire if you make me some custom pickups for a Squier Strat...

keloooe
14-05-2015, 12:26 PM
+1 on the pickups!

gavinturner
14-05-2015, 01:08 PM
@stan thats a very generous offer! I'm very happy to wind you a set once i get my wire. I dont want you to pay for my learning process though. Send me your specs! You too @callum! Just let me fail a couple of times first :). This forum rocks man.

wokkaboy
14-05-2015, 01:38 PM
awesome Gav I'll be keen to put in an order for some pups once you got them sussed out.
Happy to pay in cash, beer or tru oil !

stan
14-05-2015, 02:09 PM
PM sent Gav, I'm sure we can work something out

wokkaboy
14-05-2015, 02:14 PM
soon Gav's pups will be in the PBG online store !

ramp up the resistance Gav, plenty of windings bro !

stan
14-05-2015, 02:18 PM
I though resistance was futile...

gavinturner
14-05-2015, 03:16 PM
I can dream! That would be awesome. Chances are though, I'm going to be complete crap at this winding lark.

cheers,
Gav.

Nickosaurus
14-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Make that thirds :D id chip in for it too man

WeirdBits
14-05-2015, 03:26 PM
So... it looks like we'll soon see a range of Fires Creek 'Fury' custom pickups.

wokkaboy
14-05-2015, 03:32 PM
hell yeah Weirdy. You are catching my post numbers bro, better slow down mate ! haha

keloooe
14-05-2015, 03:40 PM
@stan thats a very generous offer! I'm very happy to wind you a set once i get my wire. I dont want you to pay for my learning process though. Send me your specs! You too @callum! Just let me fail a couple of times first :). This forum rocks man.

Haha no worries mate, would be cool to have you building pups!

stan
14-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Fires Creek - WildFire pickups.
Do I get naming rights?

andrewdosborne
14-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Do I get naming rights?

You're onto a winner there Gav!

keloooe
14-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Do I get naming rights?

Stan, funny thing is, Wildfire is the same of one of MY pickup designs.... But if you / Gav want it I won't mind, having two different Wildfire pickups isn't that bigga deal!

gavinturner
14-05-2015, 07:11 PM
Wildfire pickups - I love the sound of that :). Mind if I make a few Callum? Naming rights indeed Stan. All this before I've even touched any wire! Ha!!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
14-05-2015, 07:22 PM
thats a great name Gav Wildfire, now you got to make them live up to the name ! haha

keloooe
14-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Wildfire pickups - I love the sound of that :). Mind if I make a few Callum? Naming rights indeed Stan. All this before I've even touched any wire! Ha!!

cheers,
Gav.

Yeah I'm fine with it haha! My Wildfires are hot Strat pups. Got a few more names in the doc, but I think Stan may have hacked into my PC and stolen the file to get these names....

stan
14-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Dont want to steal Callum's name if he had it first
Cant call them Up The Creek though...

Firestorm pickups then....

keloooe
14-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Haha "Up the Creek"!
Firestorm sounds cool and it's not on my list!

gavinturner
01-06-2015, 04:11 PM
hi guys,

Finally received 2 rolls of 42-AWG from Stewmac. Now we are ready to rock n roll! I just need to find a spare 2 hours to get this "Firestorm" signature single coil set started! The first pickup will be the guinea pig to get all the resistance measurements done. Hopefully I can measure every 500 winds or so. Or should it be more frequent? Only a bit of experience will tell. To be honest, there isn't much point measuring before the 3K, 4K or even 5K mark, so it would be useful to know about where this starts.

cheers,
Gav.

Rabbitz
01-06-2015, 04:46 PM
AWG 42?

Crickey. That's is apparently 0.063mm in diameter. That is significantly less than 3/5's of 5/8's of a SBBH*.

You won't want to put much tension on that!!

* SBBH = Standard British Ball Hair

Nickosaurus
01-06-2015, 05:16 PM
woohoo! Let the fun begin

keloooe
01-06-2015, 05:54 PM
AWG 42?

Crickey. That's is apparently 0.063mm in diameter. That is significantly less than 3/5's of 5/8's of a SBBH*.

You won't want to put much tension on that!!

* SBBH = Standard British Ball Hair

That's why it is always recommended to use a bit of felt when holding the wire or use talcum powder.... And a VERY FINE touch!

andrewdosborne
01-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Exciting times Gav!

wokkaboy
01-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Good one Gav best of luck. I'll be watching with interest. I'm keen to build a winder between all the builds

gavinturner
01-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys. It's time to actually see if I can get this done!

cheers,
Gav.

WeirdBits
01-06-2015, 08:52 PM
Slowly, slowly... argh

Good luck mate.

stan
02-06-2015, 01:10 PM
go at it Gav! Firestorms Rock!
I've read somewhere that about 5000 winds gives you a pickup in the lower end of the resistance scale, so it will be interesting to see the results

gavinturner
08-06-2015, 04:19 PM
hi guys,

I finally got some time today to start wiring my first set of 3 single coil strat pickups. The first step in getting the pickups wound is to assemble the pole pieces into the flatwork, and that's what I ended up tackling. The pickup kit that I purchased from aliexpress.com came complete with the flatwork (with eyelets already inserted), alnico V polepieces (unmagnetised) and push back vintage wire to create all 3 pickups.

The pole pieces were already bevelled on one edge, removing one step in the process (phew). The pole pieces that came with the kit were the following sizes: 3x18.7mm, 1x18.3mm, 1x17.5mm and 1x19.8mm. Referring to the pickup winding guide (http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Pickups_and_Electronics/Single-coil_Pickup_Kits.html) from Stewmac as a rough tutorial, I assigned these pole sizes to the string positions as follows:

E: 18.3mm, A: 18.7mm, D:18.7mm, G: 19.8mm, B: 17.5mm, E:18.7mm

Using my regular hammer, I bashed the non-bevelled ends of the pole pieces into the bottom flatwork, making sure that the eyelets were facing up. In preparation for lacquering the completed bobbins, I also covered the eyelets with a little painters tape. It took more effort than I was expecting to get these pole pieces seated - the holes in the flatwork are quite a deal smaller than the diameter of the pole pieces themselves, and this combined with my sausage fingers meant that it took quite a bit of effort to get them hammered in.

With the pole pieces now in and standing, it was time to get the top flatwork installed. To make sure that it was installed at the correct height, I created two 11.5mm high guides out of plywood to sit either side of the pole pieces. Held in place with a rubber band, these allowed the top flatwork to be hammered home without mishap. To help me, I created a small tool from a piece of perspex whose 55mm diameter hole fit over each pole piece and allowed me to lower the flatwork around it. This was another useful hint from the stewmac winding guide (http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Pickups_and_Electronics/Single-coil_Pickup_Kits.html), and it really saved my bacon!

Although it took a little bit of fiddling to get all the pole pieces lined up with the holes in the top flatwork (especially the lowest B string pole piece) I soon had all the pole pieces hammered through and looking great! After the first bobbin was assembled, I went on to complete the remaining two. Yet again it took more time than I was expecting (most time was taken with the initial hammering pole pieces into the bottom flatwork) but finally I had all three bobbins assembled and ready for the last step in their assembly.

This last step is to spray the entire bobbin with lacquer to make sure there's no electrical conductivity. This was achieved using the dregs of my White Knight acrylic cans from a previous build. I used a piece of hookup wire through the screw hole to hold each pickup for spraying and later hanging to dry. The painters tape hopefully stopped any lacquer from coating the eyelets!

So there you have it, 3 assembled strat pickup bobbins ready for step 2 in the process - magnetising the poles. I need to source some rare earth magnets from Jaycar during the week so that I can get this done, so stay tuned..

cheers,
Gav.

Nickosaurus
08-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Cool. Lots of little processes in this ! I'm definitely keen to make something like this down the track so keep us posted mate. Loving it

wokkaboy
08-06-2015, 04:47 PM
awesome work Gav the bobbins look great ! Must be exciting times winding your own pickups after the long journey so far. Can't wait to hear these first batch of pups belting out some tunes !
I too am super keen to build one of these winders and make my own so watching with intererst

keloooe
08-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Should be sweet hearing the Firestorms! I'd do the eyelets last to eliminate the tape

andrewdosborne
08-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Good stuff Gav, looking great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stan
08-06-2015, 05:46 PM
great progress Gav, and cool to see the process

gavinturner
08-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys. We'll see how it goes when the real action starts :).

cheers,
Gav.

vh2580
08-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Great step by step Gav, interesting to see the winding process as you progress.

gavinturner
09-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks Tony!

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
09-06-2015, 12:24 PM
hi guys,

After a successful trip to Jaycar in search of rare-earth magnets, I'm ready for the second step in the winding of a set of single coil Stratocaster pickups - magnetising the pole pieces. To do this, two magnets are needed with opposing poles. The magnets are mounted with opposing poles facing each other and the pickup is passed between them.

Using my son's orienteering compass, I determined the polarity of each magnet and stuck them to the jaws of my nut-making vise with just enough room for the pickup bobbin to slide comfortably between them (nothing like wrestling some strong rare-earth magnets!).

Once the magnets were in place, I took each bobbin in turn and passed them through the gap. It was pretty damn hard keeping the pole pieces from sticking to the magnets! I did 40 passes with each bobbin to (hopefully) fully magnetise each Alnico V pole piece.

To allow for noise cancelling when the middle pickup is used in parallel with either the neck or bridge pickup, the middle pickup needs to be RWRP - or "reverse wind, reverse polarity". Half of this equation means that the polarity of the pole pieces for the middle pickup need to be the opposite of the others. Therefore, having passed the bridge and neck pickups through the magnets in a "north facing" configuration, for the middle pickup I reversed the direction to create a "south facing" polarity.

After more struggling against the pull of the magnets, a quick polarity test of all three pickups showed that I had succeeded in creating a "reverse polarity" middle pickup.

With the pole pieces magnetised, it's now time to crank up the winder and see if I can get some 42 AWG wire on these bad boys. Let's hope I don't break the wire first time out! I will be going quite slowly so fingers crossed for no mishaps. I will also be stopping every 500 winds or so to measure the resulting resistance of the coil. That should complicate the process quite nicely ;). Anyway, I need to go steal some nail polish before I continue on, so stay tuned for the next installment!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
09-06-2015, 12:59 PM
this is a really interesting detailed build thread Gav, had no idea there were this many steps/stages in building a pup.
You got nail polish on again that you need to remove before the next photos ?

Nickosaurus
09-06-2015, 01:17 PM
I was just thinking Gav, couldn't you make some plastic runners so you can pass the poles through without getting stuck to either side? If I remember right from physics the plastic won't interrupt the magnetic field, only widening the distance between the magnets will.

2-3mm poly runners and just slide the poles through?

Food for thought anyway...

wokkaboy
09-06-2015, 01:23 PM
great idea Nicko, he can try that once he removes the nail polish haha

gavinturner
09-06-2015, 01:42 PM
LOL Wokka. Not that I'm averse to a bit of nail polish if the occasion is right, but the polish is to re-coat the wire after I take a resistance reading ;).

Nick that's a great idea. At one stage i tried to use a pen to do something similar. maybe some perspex either side? Hmm will hunt around for candidate materials.

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
09-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Hmm might be yet another great use for milk bottle plastic! Thanks Nick!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
09-06-2015, 01:49 PM
might need something thicker than milk bottle plastic Gav, those magnets have a fair bit of pull.
Had no idea what the nail polish was for Gav, thanks for clearing that up bro !

Nickosaurus
09-06-2015, 01:57 PM
If you're planning on making a few sets it might be worth making a jig with the magnets flush in routed holes and using hard poly sheets on either side so it's more permanent and user friendly.

gavinturner
09-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Cool idea! I'll definitely look into this Nick. Maybe I'll make some poly "covers" to go over each magnet so that they are open at the back (to stick to the vice) and covered on the pickup side.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
09-06-2015, 02:43 PM
worth making a jig Gav, sure you will come up with a cool design
might be worth making it adjustable width for humbuckers ?
somehow incorporate your cool little vice

gavinturner
09-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Yeah that's the thing Woks. Needs to be fully adjustable for hums, p90s etc etc. Time for the thinking cap..

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
09-06-2015, 03:05 PM
maybe you could attach a magnet the plastic guides (each side of the main magnet) and the main magnet sticks to the centre of the vice face.
Glue may work not suure you will have to experiment

keloooe
09-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Try getting a few slabs of perspex and drill a hole in two of them to get the magnets flush then glue the other sheets on top, kind of creating a sandwich, which can then be attached together and there's your jig!

gavinturner
13-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Made a wire caddy today so that the spool can point towards the winding spindle. Didn't know how I was going to allow the wire to correctly roll off otherwise (without breaking it). This marks the final end to my winding procrastination - no more excuses!! :)

cheers,
Gav.

dingobass
13-06-2015, 03:40 PM
Now for the fun bit.....

Pro tip: Cut a square of chamois leather to hold the wire as you wind. This will reduce friction and the chance of breaking the wire (which is guaranteed the first few times until you get the hang of it)

Next fun project will be potting the pups.....

gavinturner
14-06-2015, 08:39 PM
Awesome, thanks for the tip DB! What do I do if the wire *does* break? try and solder the sucker back together?

cheers,
Gav.

dingobass
14-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Yeah, after swearing loudly :)

You will need to get the coating off (oh derr, DB) I am sure you will know to use nail polish as a replacement insulating coat...

By the way, has everyone seen the new Mojotone pup winder on the Stewmac site yet? It poos all over the shitten oops Schatten winders!

keloooe
15-06-2015, 05:29 AM
Awwwwwwwww yeah new Mojotone winder! I hated that Schatten winder!

dingobass
16-06-2015, 04:58 PM
The Shatten winders are fine for the occasional user, just no good for a busy workshop.

There are some great features on the Mojo winder, the ability to program in ten of your fave winds and an inbuilt Gauss meter!

keloooe
16-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Looking on the site I remember a friend owning one of these, they are a bit overpriced at $500 but they are great!
I reckon with an Arduino you could re-create most of the machine, just not the gauss meter.

dingobass
16-06-2015, 05:14 PM
It would cost you more to buy the bits to build one...
The Mojo winder has a geared drive so no belts to shag out halfway through a wind... Been there and man, did that cause some very loud and colourful language :)

Rabbitz
16-06-2015, 06:48 PM
I reckon with an Arduino you could re-create most of the machine, just not the gauss meter.

Why not?

A Hall Effect Device to detect the EM field, an analogue input on the Arduino to measure the voltage. Now calibration might be tricky but it could be done.

gavinturner
16-06-2015, 07:39 PM
An arduino-based winder is definitely on my roadmap for the future :).

cheers,
Gav.

keloooe
16-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Actually yeah it could be done, my brain went a bit dead as I was focusing on something more important... Anyway, the Arduino can handle basically the whole thing.... Now my mind is ticking!!

strungout
09-08-2021, 05:07 AM
Hi guys
Stupid question - but what happened after page 13 of the thread
Did the winder work ? What were the results
Any mods to the winder ?
I have decided to look at maybe building one while locked up