PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Ric bridge to an RC-4 bass

Cambo76
23-03-2015, 06:45 PM
I've purchased an RC-4 bass kit and have also purchased a Rickenbacker bridge for it. I understand there will be some routing involved to fit it but am wondering if there's any other issues I should be aware of before I break out the chisel.

pablopepper
23-03-2015, 06:52 PM
You'll probably have to shim the neck the account for the extra height of the bridge. This can be fiddly to get right on a set neck, but worth it. Lunaticthighs had to do it when he used a ric bridge. I had to do it too, but I used a Kahler.

moody
24-03-2015, 10:25 AM
Part of the reason I had somebody on a different thread take a photo of a painted mockup with the stock bridge. It looks good enough to me and not enough of an issue to be worth changing.

I haven't seen anybody actually make this with the stock bridge yet.

pablopepper
24-03-2015, 12:06 PM
If your going to make any upgrades to your bass, the bridge should be one. Better bridge = better sustain and a clearer tone. On a bass, I think this is important. Mind you, it doesn't have to be a ric bridge. I used an $11 Chinese high mass bridge on my PBH and it's fantastic and wouldn't require any other mods.

moody
24-03-2015, 12:22 PM
If your going to make any upgrades to your bass, the bridge should be one. Better bridge = better sustain and a clearer tone. On a bass, I think this is important. Mind you, it doesn't have to be a ric bridge. I used an $11 Chinese high mass bridge on my PBH and it's fantastic and wouldn't require any other mods.

True. I may do the same. I may trial fit the stock bridge on an old Pbass I own to see how well it performs before using it.

Cambo76
24-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. I think you might be right; maybe I will trial the stock bridge before I modify.

moody
25-03-2015, 07:47 AM
True. I may do the same. I may trial fit the stock bridge on an old Pbass I own to see how well it performs before using it.

Just realised that this could be misinterpreted.

I would try the Pitbull bridge on the old Pbass to see how it performed. Not the Pbass bridge on the kit bass.