PDA

View Full Version : Building A PC

kimball492
17-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Here's a synopsis of a PC build pretty much everything is modular, you just plug in the cables and connect
The components together . This guy has decided not to put his build in a case . As I say the hardest part to building a PC is loading the software.

http://youtu.be/5FEIcx5Z-RM

P.s Use anti static earthing cable , and make sure your power is off while working on any computer build

Fretworn
18-03-2015, 09:36 AM
But where do the pickups go?

kimball492
18-03-2015, 12:52 PM
How long you been building guitars now . Lol

keloooe
18-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Building a PC is dead simple, in a way it is like building a guitar kit, you get everything you need and everything fits in its own special area. As long as you have the essentials (case, power supply, motherboard, cpu, storage, graphics card if your motherboard / cpu has no graphics or want to game on it, monitor, OS etc.) then you are all set to go!

kimball492
18-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Lol no pickups

DrNomis_44
31-03-2015, 01:01 PM
My two cents worth......

When you go shopping for the hardware to build your new PC, whatever you do buy the best quality hardware you can afford since bad quality hardware is only going to create lots of headaches for you when you go to do your troubleshooting to find out why your new PC is randomly Blue-Screening (usually right in the middle of that important recording project-and you've forgotten to save/backup all the hard work you've done), something that's happened to me in the past and caused me a lot of frustration.

Also you want a CPU that provides a decent amount of processing power, the Intel i5 and i7 multi-core CPUs are good, get one that runs at a clock frequency of at least 3Ghz or so, be careful with Overclocking because you gain processing power but you may wear out the CPU and other hardware faster, if you can afford a motherboard that supports a decently fast Bus Speed definitely buy it (my motherboard supports a Bus speed of up to just over 2Ghz), the Bus speed determines how fast your Ram runs (the faster the Ram runs, the faster the data can be read into and out of the Ram, helpful when working with audio samples), you don't necessarily need to use a high-end Gaming graphics card when building a PC for a Studio, I seem to remember reading somewhere that some Digital Audio Workstations would crash if certain high-end Gaming graphics cards were used, maybe that's an issue that's been fixed lately.

keloooe
31-03-2015, 05:35 PM
Also anyone looking for a cheap but awesome Intel based CPU for the LGA1150 socket, I'd recommend the Pentium Anniversary Edition G3258, I've had one for about a month and I love it to bits! it's a beast of a CPU, I have ASUS AI Suite III which DrNomis, allows me to safely overclock as far as it goes without crashing every 3 seconds but I back it off a bit to extend the life a bit. Paired with my Corsair H100i (uses water, not air to cool the CPU for better overclocking) I got it over 4ghz and it's nuts when you factor in the price....

DrNomis_44
31-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Also anyone looking for a cheap but awesome Intel based CPU for the LGA1150 socket, I'd recommend the Pentium Anniversary Edition G3258, I've had one for about a month and I love it to bits! it's a beast of a CPU, I have ASUS AI Suite III which DrNomis, allows me to safely overclock as far as it goes without crashing every 3 seconds but I back it off a bit to extend the life a bit. Paired with my Corsair H100i (uses water, not air to cool the CPU for better overclocking) I got it over 4ghz and it's nuts when you factor in the price....

That's cool that you've been able to get your system to run at over 4Ghz, as long as it's stable you should be fine, I'm using a Gigabyte GAZ68XP-UD3 Motherboard in my current PC, I think it has overclocking settings in it's Bios, I should have a good read of the user manual.

I've also got a couple of old Mac G4 computers, I've managed to get an old version of ProTools running on one of them.

kells80aus
01-04-2015, 07:21 AM
I've built dozens of PC's. It's not the first open air "case" I've seen. I liked that CPU cooler, it was Umm... Cool.
M/B temp only went up 3 deg after he overclocked it. I'd expect it would double under some high end graphics load.
Overall a pretty nice package if you don't live a hair shedding critter. I can just imagine getting home from work to see a fried pussy sitting on top of it.

I had to use my magic touch on one of my PC's on Sunday. I'd set up the PC next to the TV with Poxtell Go running, so I could watch the F1. ten minutes in the PC says Nay FEKU. Had to watch the GP on my main PC. then went back turned on the dead one, Award Bios 1 long Beep repeated. That should be CPU. So I wriggled the CPU(Intel Dual Core) cooler, pulled the two DDR2 memory Sims out swaped their slots, changed the Graphics card from a N9500-512 to an Asus G9500 1Mb. Power up and away we go.... :D The PC Maestro does it again....

PK

ponch
01-04-2015, 08:04 AM
I've been looking at building a desktop for recording recently. Only ever bought complete systems before. Putting it all together seems easy enough and I've installed os before, but the world of pc parts is mind boggling!

kells80aus
01-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Hi Andrew, Building a PC is a Doddle. get onto your favourite PC Parts Supplier and go window shopping.
http://www.cplonline.com.au/
http://www.gigabyte.com/
You'll need

1. Case, they don't always come with a PSU(power Supply)
1. PSU
1. Motherboard.
1. CPU Intel or AMD dependant on your M/B. make sure it is compatible
2 or 4 Ram Chips. go to at least 8Gb
1 DVDRW drive
1 or more HDD
1. Graphics Card. If your only doing music then don't go overboard with the graphics. something with 1-2Gb Ram
1. tube silver silicone
100. Patience.

Install M/B into care and screw down in at least two places, If the case doesn't have plastic standoffs this may be screw down in as many places as the case has.
Ground yourself to the case, then Install CPU into socket taking care to orient the CPU with the markings.
Squirt a dob of silver silcone onto the top of the CPU about the size of a 5cent piece.
gently place the CPU cooler on top of the CPU, the press down and secure with whatever clips or screws that are proviced for the CPU Cooler.
Insert Ram into sockets and secure the end clips.
Install the graphics card on the M/B
Install DVDRW into case(this can be done before the M/B
Install HDD.
Connect up all the Power, Sata cables, front of Cabinmet cables.

You should be just about ready to pug it in and power it up.

PK

kimball492
01-04-2015, 11:03 AM
If your Building a PC to use with Pro Tools go to link below. I've built Three Pcs to use with Pro tools the first using fastest CPU fastest Motherboard,memory etc.Then wondered why Pro Tools kept crashing . In the end Id check builders pc component lists see who had the most success after building with Pro Tools 11.00 in mind .Copy that build to the letter. Silly things like If the firewire card wasn't a Texas Instrument Chipset then it would crash pro tools. Chipsets on motherboards not compatible. Read list below or click link .The Dverb test is a plug in within pro tools set up in a particular way that tests the efficiency of your pro tools build. If your not building for pro tools you don't have to be so fussy .
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426

Good luck with your builds!!

much needed disclaimer!!!...this thread was created for 'one-stop shopping' for DUC'ers regarding i7 builds!!!! use it as your meeting place. i'll keep it updated as much as possible...as possible

************************************************** **************************************************

The i7 Dverb results (please see the 2nd post for the earlier builds. listed below are the more recent ones.)

Intel® High End Desktop Processors

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processors

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************

Intel's Newsroom Post

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/i...-begins-recall

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cou...ror,12108.html

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/intel-hit-with-chipset-design-flaw-in-sandy-bridge-rollout/44257?tag=nl.e539

http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Finds...ticle20789.htm

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...tops_shipments

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************

**** builds are listed from the most recent to the earlier ones *****

Brandonx1 - i7 5960X, ASUS X99-E WS, 32gig DDR44 2666, Samsung flash memory hd in PCIEx4, currently clocked at 4.5ghz, W8.1 Ultimate, PT11.2.2. geekbenchs over 31,000 (free version), DVERBs over 1100. (I will add more components as Brandon provides 'em...but Brandon requires a horse due to his work and i'd say he's got it!!!) SWEET!!!

The Weed - i7 4770K, ASUS Z87 PRO Socket 1150, Silverstone Fortress FT02B-USB3.0, G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CL: 7 Model F3-1600C7D-16GTX, Corsair RM Series RM850 ATX12 v2.31, Noctua NH NH-D14, Asus GT640-DCSL-2GD3 GT 640 2 GB GDDR3 SDRAM - PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Fanless, GT640-DCSL-2GD3, SIIG FireWire 2-Port PCIe (NN-E20012-S2), Pro Tools 11.1.1 on Windows 8.1 Pro, 002 Rack, All Avid Windows 8 optimizations done (except Network Card Enabled) and BIOS optimizations done too, DPC Latency Checker: 7 to 13 ups for the most part with a regular spike to 997, Core Parking OFF, DVerb2 Score: 65 Tracks/325 DVerbs, Hyperthreading On

dave911 - i7-4770K, Cooler Master V8, Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H Z87 LGA 1150 2-Way SLI Dual LAN ATX Motherboard, Kingston HyperX Beast 16 GB Kit (2x8 GB) 2400MHz DDR3 PC3-19200 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM XMP Desktop Memory KHX24C11T3K2/16X, Rosewill SilentNight Series 500W 80 Plus Platinum Certified Modular Design ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply SilentNight-500, Runs tracking at a 32 buffer with a LS56 and large (50+) plugin/track counts at 512-1024. Overclocked to 4 Ghz static. PT 10.3.7 an 11.02 running with no crashes or lockups. DVERB test results to come...

mykhal c -LIAN LI PC-7HX Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case , ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard , Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) , ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler Blue LED
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM , used HDDs (from Q6600 build) and spare video card used to complete system
config'd to 4.0GHz...results...600 dverbs ((1024 buffer, 11 procs, 99%, 24/48 session) testing @12 procs 85% produced lower score)

guitardom - Gigabyte x79-UD5 , Intel 3930k , Evga Nvidia 520 vid card , Noctua cpu cooler , Gskill Ripjaws X ram 16gb , OCZ Fatality 750w psu , Rosewill 4 space server rackmount case , all WD Black 32/64 mb cache drives

Sawllkwa - 1st posted i7 2011 socket build - Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz, ASUS P9X79 WS, Corsair Hydro H80, Corsair XMS3 Vengeance 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz ((4x4GB), 32 GB total), Intel Intern SSD 120GB 320 Series Intern SATA 2.5" (for OS), Cooler Master HAF tower, 2x 200 GB SATA drives: WDC WD 2000JD-22HBB0 (for PT), 500 GD SATA drive WDC WD 5000AAKS-65YGA0 (programs), Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS, DVD w/lightscribe, 700W Rocketfish PSU, Dverb 1024 (w/ optimizations) = 621 with CPU(RTAS) at 89%, Dverb 64 (w/optimizations) = 473 with CPU(RTAS) at 86%, W7 x64, PT8.0.5 on a 002R

Zarabozo - 1st posted/workin' dual socket Xeon DIY build - even tho this thread is dedicated to the i7 i thought it was worth the post since it's the first that i can recall after my 9+ yrs on the DUC....Motherboard: Supermicro X8DA6, Processors: 2 x Intel X5650 (12 cores 24 threads total), RAM: 24 GB (6 modules of 4GB Kingston 1333 ECC Registered Gold), Video: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1GB GDDR5, OS Disk: Kingston SSD Now V+ 60GB, Media Disk: WD Velociraptor Sata3 (6GB/s via SAS) 10,000 RPM 600GB, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1, ProTools 9.0.2 with CPTK2, Eleven Rack, Dverb test: 464 dverbs @1024.

ryanwilsonfive - PTLE 8.0.3cs2, Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R, CORSAIR XMS 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3, COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520,CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W, ASUS EN8400GS Silent/P/512M GeForce 8400 GS 512MB, ASUS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner , Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache, Glyph GT 050Q 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache, Windows XP Home Edition SP2, 251 D-Verbs @ 1024 samples / 239 D-Verbs @ 64 samples

mano - PTLE 8.0.4cs2, i7 2600K @ 4.2 Ghz, Intel DP67BG motherboard, G- Skill 8GB DDR3 1600, Crucial C300 SATA3 SSD - system drive, Samsung F3 1TB - audio drive, Nvidia Geforce 8500, Termalright Ultra Extreme 120, Antec P-150 case, Seasonic S12II 520 PSU, 003R, @1024=448 Dverbs, @64=310 Dverbs.
(mano gives us the 1st workin'/posted build with the i7 2600/1155 socket/P67 chipset!!!) way to continue blazin' the trail mano!!!

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!!!

This is a quick benchmark stress test that can be done in a few minutes.

EDIT: IT's New, It's Exciting! It's Dverb 2.0!

Always do a Dverb test after a fresh start up of the computer with a newly created session on your audio drive. Since the 5.X days, PT always seems to keep something in some type of cache that doesnt always clear. Hard to explain, but you'll notice it. Also, only do this with the stock Digi plug-ins in the plug-in folder. Do not have any other plug-ins installed or your test will vary. If you have already installed a load of plug-ins then move them to another folder except Dverb and the stock Digi plug-ins, and then do the test.

The Dverb 2.0 Test

Please make sure that RTAS Engine Ignore Errors During Playback/Record box is unchecked

Start the computer. Create a brand new 24bit/48k Session on your audio drive for the Dverb test. Open up the system usage window in PT. Then, go to Setup > Playback Engine... > and make sure the RTAS engine: Ignore Errors During Playback/Record(may cause clicks and pops) is NOT checked. Also, Go to your buffer setting and select 1024(CPU usage must be 95% or highest possible). Set up your time line ruler for Min:Secs. You want to be in grid mode and set up your grid for Min:Secs and 1 second. Create one mono audio track. Take the selector tool, put it on the 5 minute mark in your audio track and drag this to the start of your session. You will now have 5 minutes selected in this track. Go to AudioSuite > Other > Signal Generator and click on the "process" but. You should now see a 5 minute test tone. Create another audio track and insert 5 Dverbs in all the inserts. Record arm the Dverb track. Click on the track name so it is high lighted white, and hit shift+alt+D then hit enter. Record arm the new track and continue this pattern. You want to be able to record WITHOUT THE TEST TONE BREAKING UP!! Keep adding Dverbs and recording. If the test tone starts to breakup, then delete some Dverbs until you can hear a SOLID TEST TONE for 5 MINUTES. This is VERY VERY important. The test tone has to be 100% solid!!!

****IMPORTANT NOTE ON DVERB TESTING******

the PTLE 8.0 DVERB has a chorus effect added that was not present in prior LE versions. here is a scale comparison that was posted by Shane. pls take this into account as you test your new builds!!!

kells80aus
01-04-2015, 11:42 AM
That's not a PC Kimbal, that's a Space Station.

I've never been a fan of building a PC for a specific single piece of software.
It seems to me that if the software is so device unfriendly, then it probably hasn't been properly developed in the first place.

But if it's what you have to do to get a decent Audio PC, then it's what you have to do.

PK

keloooe
01-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Hi Andrew, Building a PC is a Doddle. get onto your favourite PC Parts Supplier and go window shopping.
http://www.cplonline.com.au/
http://www.gigabyte.com/
You'll need

1. Case, they don't always come with a PSU(power Supply)
1. PSU
1. Motherboard.
1. CPU Intel or AMD dependant on your M/B. make sure it is compatible
2 or 4 Ram Chips. go to at least 8Gb
1 DVDRW drive
1 or more HDD
1. Graphics Card. If your only doing music then don't go overboard with the graphics. something with 1-2Gb Ram
1. tube silver silicone
100. Patience.

Install M/B into care and screw down in at least two places, If the case doesn't have plastic standoffs this may be screw down in as many places as the case has.
Ground yourself to the case, then Install CPU into socket taking care to orient the CPU with the markings.
Squirt a dob of silver silcone onto the top of the CPU about the size of a 5cent piece.
gently place the CPU cooler on top of the CPU, the press down and secure with whatever clips or screws that are proviced for the CPU Cooler.
Insert Ram into sockets and secure the end clips.
Install the graphics card on the M/B
Install DVDRW into case(this can be done before the M/B
Install HDD.
Connect up all the Power, Sata cables, front of Cabinmet cables.

You should be just about ready to pug it in and power it up.

PK

Also on the CPU, never touch the top casing or the bottom / pins of the CPU, if ONE pin goes, the whole thing is rendered useless!

kimball492
01-04-2015, 01:55 PM
Yeah I Agree Kells here's the best build currently Brandonx1 - i7 5960X, ASUS X99-E WS, 32gig DDR44 2666, Samsung flash memory hd in PCIEx4, currently clocked at 4.5ghz, W8.1 Ultimate, PT11.2.2. geekbenchs over 31,000 (free version), DVERBs over 1100. (I will add more components as Brandon provides 'em...but Brandon requires a horse due to his work and i'd say he's got it .
Anybody that thinks building a games pc was complex try building a pc for Pro Tools lol. The Pentium Anniversary Edition G3258
looks interesting Keloooe

kimball492
01-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Or you take the easy route and buy one of these .No it's not a Mac
http://www.pro-tools-pc.com