PDA

View Full Version : This is why I dislike Macs

kimball492
11-03-2015, 08:55 AM
The best Mac made is what they call the cheese grater . You can get in it change pieces add pieces it's more like a Pc. But iMacs are dire. Why they can't put a hatch in back to Acess and change the hard disk drive I'll never know . So instead I have to remove the front glass bezel ,then remove Led screen removing five cables between screen and motherboard or as Apple call it the Logic board.
Then you can't put a standard Western digital hard drive in it has to be one to have a temperature probe connection. The lastest Mac Is a beautiful fast machine ,but trying to add anything to it is troublesome . You see it looks great on paper but soon as you start adding cables to it it looks nothing like the pictures hence the name a Trash can. I'll let you know how fitting the new Harddisk drive goes. P.s Apple have the looking good thing down to a T but functional and servicing is awful. The newer ones I believe are even harder to update or add things to.

kells80aus
11-03-2015, 09:21 AM
I've been say it for year Kimbal, It's not how it looks It's how it works.
Ergo. Myer changed their IT system from Mainframe to HP Unix and a cost of hundreds of Millions of $$$.
The new system at reveal had barely half of the function their old Mainframe system had. One of the pre-requisites for the change was it looked better. It seems the users didn't like the old green screen sytems. The irony is that they had to build mountains of servers to replace the mainframe. Now, mainframes run zOS. or what we would loosly call Linux...
Why is a mainframe better, because the Unix servers do not have enough IO channels hence they have to use many many boxes, Although they are now migrating back onto LPars on Mainframes.

It all gets back to if it aint broke don't fix it.

With your mac Kibo, maybe you should have built a Intel box that runs iOS. :)

PK

kimball492
11-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Hi Kells It's Funny I have two Macs two pcs both macs Ive had so many probs with . I have a mac compatible motherboard that's next project the Hackintosh build. I've built for other people but about time I did myself one .

andrewdosborne
11-03-2015, 09:49 AM
I suppose it all depends on what you use them for. Why do I dislike Macs? My wife is always asking me to fix up Mac MS Office documents on my PC version as the Mac version is quite inadequate, especially for extra large complex spreadsheets. Even more annoying as you could buy 5x Windows based laptops (similar to mine) for the price of her Macbook pro!

Fretworn
11-03-2015, 10:08 AM
The don't want you being able to maintain your iMac by yourself, then how would they get the $95 fee they charge you just for them to acknowledge that you have an Apple product when you need maintenance done. That's before they do anything and on top of the cost of the any repairs upgrades. I'm not convinced the "perceived" improvement in performance justifies the extravagant pricing.

keloooe
11-03-2015, 02:06 PM
And that is why I still prefer PC over Mac.....

dingobass
11-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Been using Crapple for years with absolutley no problems. Changed to a PC with Microsofton windoze 7 and nearly had a conniption because it was the biggest piece of crap I ever have seen.
It was slow as a snail on a frosty morning, even after putting in extra RAM. Turns out there were multiple things running in the background chewing up the RAM... Tried turning some of them off and the damned thing pooed its daks and refused to work.
Ended up ditching windoze and installed Ubuntu. Apart from Ubuntu not recognising my printer (which turned out to be one of Canons worst ones) I have had no dramas.
Now I do most of my stuff on the iThing and love it to bits... But I must say that the Minister for War and Finance recently got a Samsung tablet and that baby makes my iThing look like a dinosaur.
So, at the end of the day I guess it comes down to what works for you.
I find Crapple a whole lot easier to use than windoze, and others find windoze easier..

wokkaboy
11-03-2015, 03:19 PM
whatever floats your boat hey DB !
we got a fair idea what sinks your boat !

dingobass
11-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Thats it, Woks.. Its all about what works for the individual.... Unless its Nitro, poo oil, polyurethane........ :)

kells80aus
11-03-2015, 04:14 PM
I think some people totally missed the boat on what Kimbo is talking about. What he is saying is the upgrade path is almost non existent. With a PC you can swap memory, graphics cards, hard drives. motherbaords CPU's pretty much what ever you want. Try swapping out the CPU on your Apple CrMac. I've built plenty of PC's since the begining of the personal computing in the early 90's. I've built 8086's, 8286's, 8386 DX's, 8386's, 8486 DX's, 8586's, and their follow ons P4 pentiums, Dual cores, quad cores.

Yes you are all right about Windoze and all it's peripheral applications. BUT you don't need to use Windows. there are many flavours of Linux, Minux, Sose, Red Hat, Mandrake, Ubuntu...

In recent years Apple iOS has moved to a nice Kernel setup, as has Windows, and the Kernel architechure for all of these OS's has it's grounding in what??? LINUX(or UNIX if you can afford the license) .

Guys, stick to breaking heads off Gibbo's your out of your depth here...... LOL

PK

keloooe
11-03-2015, 04:20 PM
I actually like Linux! Ubuntu is on my top 3 operating systems list, very nice to use, but after updating to Windows 10.... Damn it's a hella lot better than 7, 8 and 8.1 combined!

kells80aus
11-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Nice Keloooe, I am still running Vista on my quad core, my son is running Win Date(8), while the missuus is running Win Heaven(7)
Your right neither are much of an improvement on XP or Vista. I've got Ubuntu running on a cpl of PC's and a version of FreeNas, well would If I could be bothered to replace the PS unit.
PK

bargeloobs
11-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Guys, stick to breaking heads off Gibbo's your out of your depth here...... LOL
PK

h
Hehehehe, yeah what's up with that? You'd think the way people were going on Gibson headstocks spontaneously combust or something.

dingobass
11-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Sure, PK, but it is along the same path.. User friendliness, which it appears that Crapple is until you want to mess around inside one :)

dingobass
11-03-2015, 05:41 PM
BTW, its a miracle I can even work out how to switch the damn things on.... My eyes glaze over when I hear folk actually know what they are doing when they mess around inside one :) :0

dingobass
11-03-2015, 05:43 PM
h
Hehehehe, yeah what's up with that? You'd think the way people were going on Gibson headstocks spontaneously combust or something.

Hahahaha!
To date I have had 12 busted Grubson headstock owners crying in my workshop....
Costs me a freaking fourtune in tissues!

vh2580
11-03-2015, 07:12 PM
So Adam when are the first BYOPC kits coming out. Can we get them with a quilt casing? Would we still be able to get internal hardware colour options and upgrades? Will you be offering reverse keyboards and de-keying. Can you get an upgraded mouse wheel in Bone?

dingobass
11-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Hahahaha!
Funny guy, vh :)

wokkaboy
11-03-2015, 07:27 PM
haha yes very clever Tony, who knows the way BYOG is increasing the range in its shop it may well be possible in the next couple of years

stan
11-03-2015, 07:29 PM
it'll be like Jim's: BYOBloodyEverything!

kimball492
11-03-2015, 09:47 PM
The Apple Windows debate is so much fun Lol. After all a Mac is now a Pc just wears Silk clothes,they even use Pc parts, Intel chips . It's just getting inside and at them to change anything is so complicated .Ok here goes, to install a new harddrive In An a Apple Imac total time 4 hours the fastest part was loading the yosemite software . Lots of Beer one problem the last beer made it just about bearable lol. After that who cares . Ok here's the thing fitting a new harddrive in a PC 15 mins . I actually like yosemite on the Mac Just the hardware I find old tech and expensive . Well it's all done now I have to spend a couple of days sorting out all the music software .

Not to mention the glass removing suction cups and torx screwdrivers I had to buy. Bloody Apple lol

Nickosaurus
11-03-2015, 09:48 PM
I hear that a maple case will make the monitor's resolution a bit brighter.

kimball492
11-03-2015, 10:31 PM
Is it just maple Nick what if I fancy a more exotic wood .

Brendan
12-03-2015, 12:13 AM
I remember the line from my Uni Computer Course -
Machine
Always
Crashes
If
Not
The
Operating
System
Hangs.

I remember one of the guys from work talking about how to maintain an Apple "SAN" - walk past it each day and when you see an orange light, you replace that disk. Marginally better than a pizza box with lots of disk. But it looked nice.

keloooe
12-03-2015, 04:53 AM
I hear that a maple case will make the monitor's resolution a bit brighter.

Hehehehehe... I get that joke Nicko

stan
12-03-2015, 06:07 AM
exotic case materials all have a different effect on speed.
Metals are brighter and cooler make it run faster, exotic ceramics faster still.
woods are warmer, and slow it down. Mahogany and rosewood cases look ok, but they have a speed killing effect on the unit, Dingo tone makes them marginally quicker, but then we really get into the speed case debate....

Personally i think the whole metal vs ceramic thing is hocus pocus, speed is in the eye of the game player...

Oh, and the whole red vs blue standby light thing....

kells80aus
12-03-2015, 07:02 AM
So what you are saying is when I playback some music on my PC, if I have a wooden case, say a rich Mahogany the sound will come out fuller and richer with max repsonse on those deep rich low bass sounds......having been slowed down by the mellow timbers....

raotplawmp

PK

stan
12-03-2015, 07:18 AM
So what you are saying is when I playback some music on my PC, if I have a wooden case, say a rich Mahogany the sound will come out fuller and richer with max repsonse on those deep rich low bass sounds......having been slowed down by the mellow timbers....

raotplawmp

PK

Sure. It only makes sense!

dingobass
12-03-2015, 07:56 AM
You guys crack me up :)

bargeloobs
12-03-2015, 08:00 AM
I wasn't aware of the wood case thing, makes sense now that you mention it.

vh2580
12-03-2015, 08:12 AM
Stan I cant believe you went there on the whole contensious red - blue standby light thing.
As a die hard blue lighter there is no reasonable argument for red standby lights.

bargeloobs
12-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Stan I cant believe you went there on the whole contensious red - blue standby light thing.
As a die hard blue lighter there is no reasonable argument for red standby lights.

Agreed, red LED's are so last decade.

kimball492
12-03-2015, 08:25 AM
I've read DBs book on wood and tone it seems that some woods are warmer than others giving an almost Tube warmth to the Apple Products .But does absolutely nothing for the cheap components inside lol

stan
12-03-2015, 08:36 AM
blue leds for sure, but you know those vintage freaks, they think everything older is better....

actually the Crapple components are expensive , but over rated, like Hipshot...

bargeloobs
12-03-2015, 08:43 AM
blue leds for sure, but you know those vintage freaks, they think everything older is better....

actually the Crapple components are expensive , but over rated, like Hipshot...

Next thing you know they'll be trying to revive DVD's...

pablopepper
12-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Bring back minidiscs, those things ruled.

Fretworn
12-03-2015, 10:13 AM
So Adam when are the first BYOPC kits coming out. Can we get them with a quilt casing? Would we still be able to get internal hardware colour options and upgrades? Will you be offering reverse keyboards and de-keying. Can you get an upgraded mouse wheel in Bone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa_hiLXLbTc

kimball492
12-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Oh No Fretworn not mice , jeez my pet hate is the Apples Mouse and keyboards inability to stay charged any longer than 2-3 weeks without dying and needing new batteries .Certainly not a very Green product lol. Funny video

dingobass
12-03-2015, 11:47 AM
This thread just keeps getting better :)

wokkaboy
12-03-2015, 11:56 AM
yeah this thread is getting good miles !

dave.king1
12-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Certainly not a very Green product lol.

Like the Cisco voice solutions I was designing before I retired ( dislike the technology immensely )

dingobass
12-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Oh No Fretworn not mice , jeez my pet hate is the Apples Mouse and keyboards inability to stay charged any longer than 2-3 weeks without dying and needing new batteries .Certainly not a very Green product lol. Funny video

Yeah, whats with that?
The Minister for War and Finance is getting a bit peeved at the mouse batteries carking it on a regular basis...

keloooe
12-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Is the mouse also on the 40TB DB Hate Document?

kimball492
12-03-2015, 10:28 PM
If Db doesnt add the apple mouse and keyboard to the list can we please take a vote lol.

dingobass
12-03-2015, 11:39 PM
Vote away :)

I am not allowed to use the imac, so I cant really pass judgment on it....
I only get to replace the batteries.

kimball492
13-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Lol you must have an awful large box of batteries .Besides I can't play decent games on my Mac