PDA

View Full Version : Zoom R16

keloooe
11-03-2015, 07:20 AM
Anyone heard of the Zoom R16? Is it a decent option for on the go recording or even to setup as an interface?
I think it is really nice for on the go recording to then reamp later on in the studio AND to use as an interface for Mac or PC.

pablopepper
11-03-2015, 09:18 AM
I've done some recording on a mates Zoom r8 and it was pretty good. Not the most user friendly system, but functional and fairly cheap.

kimball492
11-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Keloooe, if you have an iPad get an interface that's compatible with it ,or get one that's compatible with lets say your notebook . The Focusrite Scarlett are great, nice preamps sound good with guitars and basses . The R16s are pretty good sound wise but limited and found when you write stuff to cd .they sound a little thin.Pre amps could be better . It's at its best connected to a computer .
Here's a review for you .
The Verdict

In case you hadn't already figured this out, I'm impressed by the R16. It undoubtedly offers remarkable value for money: you'd be hard put to get an eight‑channel recording interface for much less, never mind a fader controller and stand‑alone multitrack recorder! Most of all, it's the thinking behind this product that I like. Zoom have realised that stand‑alone devices, with their small displays and limited DSP resources, are never going to rival the Mac or PC when it comes to mixing, editing, MIDI sequencing and so on. If a multitracker is going to succeed in today's environment, it needs to work with computers rather than fight against them, and to be strong in areas where the mighty micro is still lacking: simplicity, portability and quietness, among others.

When you get so much for so little, then, it's hard to fault Zoom for anything they have left out. However, I do think that the R16's spec leaves room in the market for a more professionally oriented sibling. I, for one, would happily pay extra for better preamps and metering, phantom power on every channel, some sort of digital I/O, a couple more outputs, cue mixing and a system of proper virtual tracks or playlists for managing overdubs and multiple takes. If you could attach a nice stereo preamp via S/PDIF, for example, it would make an excellent device for low‑budget classical music recording applications.

In the meantime, though, there's a huge amount to like — and enjoy — about the R16 just as it is. As a truly portable, truly silent multitracker, it's the perfect complement to a computer recording system; and as an eight‑channel interface, it's also a central component of a computer recording system. Unplug the USB cable, sling it in the back of the car, and you have the means to capture your rehearsal or gig with the minimum of fuss. Bring it back home afterwards, and it becomes a very capable front end, helping to pilot your PC through the overdubbing and mixing process. Neat! .

stan
11-03-2015, 09:46 AM
they seem to get good reviews, but wouldn't one of the software based system work as well?

keloooe
11-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Yeah there are better alternatives, but having the ability to record with just the interface, or plug into PC or Mac is a very good idea!
@KB I will always get the Scarlett, don't worry about that haha

fatmunkey
12-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Proud R16 owner here, and would happily buy another one. It's best use is as a demo machine, a couple guitars and a drum mic and then a vocal mic and you can get pretty good full band demos going on. The killer feature is that you can then pull out your SD card, throw it into a computer, and you've got all your tracks ready to go into Reaper or Protools.

I've only used a couple of the built in effects but they sound good, if a little hard to use as the interface requires you to RTFM.

AND you can use it as a control surface for mixing, but really it comes into its own as a quick n dirty multitrack recorder.

@Kimball492: agreed on the thin sound, but good mics and cables help, as does good EQ and proper mastering before burning.

kimball492
14-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Did you get the Zoom R16 Kelooe how'd it go

keloooe
14-03-2015, 12:01 PM
I don't own one BUT a friend DID buy one and he showed it to me and as a quick on the go recording interface I quite liked it! Is a bit pricey but as fatmunkey said with a little bit of time in the DAW when you get back from the road it can really make your live recordings and demos sound a lot nicer! Might have to buy one for MY band.....

kimball492
14-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Enjoy it Keloooe if you get one
Thanks
Kimball