PDA

View Full Version : Sony Developed New Tape That Supposedly Has Tremendous Storage

kimball492
09-03-2015, 07:38 AM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/05/r-i-p-ipod-sony-unveils-cassette-tape-that-can-hold-64750000-songs/

pablopepper
09-03-2015, 07:57 AM
I can almost imagine what that sounds like getting chewed up in the player.

kimball492
09-03-2015, 09:14 AM
Hi Craig. You know I remember when CDs first came out it was shown on a show called tomorrow's world " saying that CDs where totally indestructible showed them drilling holes in the cd and it still played , what they didn't say was there was no data on that part of the cd , then they smeared it with jam and yet again still played . I don't know about you but sometimes just a finger print will make a cd stop skip and jump . Ref the tape I know what you mean ref cassettes heat in the car wrapped round tape heads the speed sometimes different between start mid and finish . But I loved my 4 track yamaha portastudio. I think the uses are going to be more for data and Backup. Have you listened to a Pono music player yet , stunning sound nice to hear music as it should be.

stan
09-03-2015, 04:33 PM
small scratches are enough to ruin a cd.

Tape reader is probably the size of a fridge...

keloooe
09-03-2015, 06:55 PM
It has the equivalent of 370 YEARS of the "average song" (3 minutes in length).... There is no way I'll be finishing that on any drive!