PDA

View Full Version : What an LP should really look like ;)

kells80aus
08-03-2015, 01:22 PM
It's Sunday arvo, I'm bored, thought I would take some snaps of my sons LP. We bought this for his 30th birthday a couple of years ago. cost my over 1K I won't be precise on that. It is a studio, but it is a delux Version. I checked with Gibson about it's authenticity. and they yep def a Studio Delux, but the truss cover only has Studio. So a Gibson error there.
It's a very nice guitar with a desert burst tiger maple. You have to see it to believe it this is a beautiful instrument. I am very proud to be able to share it with you all

this thing is a dream to play and embarasses my lack of skill.
I wil post some intricate shots of the nut and saddle to demonstrate how low the action is on this thing.
these are the things we try and emulate.

kells80aus
08-03-2015, 01:34 PM
low low action
probably should have dusted it before that last shot.

PK

bargeloobs
08-03-2015, 01:42 PM
Looks real nice PK, would definitely be a treasured instrument I'm guessing. That bridge pup looks kinda high.

kells80aus
08-03-2015, 01:58 PM
Hi Barge
yeah I looked at that and did a 22nd fret push and it is barely 1/16th of an inch on low E but a bit higher on high E. But it sounds so sweat. I have been annoying the neighbours running it through my Marshall BB11 Fuzz, and my Vampire LX1200H set on Brit Class A, which is a Bluesbreaker Combo JTM45 Emulation. and it sounds so sweet
Pitty I can't play well enough to get the full monty out of it. I have gone and adjusted the pups on the eagle 11 I built him and, while it isn't quite as low as the Gibson. it improved the sound by a factor of ten. it is approaching the gibson if that's possible for a git with a pair of P90's.

PK

kells80aus
08-03-2015, 02:08 PM
If you haven't guessed it, I am taking a few queues off this gibo and applying them to my builds. One hopes to get some nice sounding instruments as a result.

My eagle 11 has a P90 and Prail, so I might raise them a touch. P90's have a reputation of putting out a muddy sound.
My son's eagle 11 does that on the neck pick up, but it sings when on the bridge pup. lessons to learn here. :)

I will say though that the Cracked Red Strat(PBG) is one of the best sounding Gits I have built. It is coated in Cherry Red Shellac. it has the standard PBG scratch plate and pups. I have only adjusted the truss rod. I didn't do a fret level. It has a nice sweat action that I just did not want to mess around with. I know that if I did a fret level I could lower the action a whole lot more. But given that I am more than happy with it. Why bother.

PK

stan
08-03-2015, 03:57 PM
that is a sweet guitar PK, very classy too. I can see why you use it for inspiration and comparison.

keloooe
08-03-2015, 06:41 PM
If the neck pups are muddy, try to wind some pickups of your own and try to rewind them? Or I have heard that adding in a 0.22uf cap in the signal wire can get rid of the mud.
And nice gift too, I'd be very chuffed to have a Gibbo in my hands for my birthday!

kells80aus
09-03-2015, 04:17 AM
Hi Kelloooe,

Just to be clear it's not the Gibbo with the muddy pup, it's my scratch builds mine has a Kent Armstrong P90 +Seymour Duncan P-Rail. so almost two P90's, the other has two Kent Armstrong P90's. I do think the problem is the neck pup is just a bit too low. :) the other issue and I noticed this also happenes on the Gibbo, is that the bridge pups are not sitting flat. I think this has been caused by the Pup wire being wrapped aounrd the adjusting screw, or under it.

Cheers PK

Fretworn
09-03-2015, 10:27 AM
No, this is what an LP looks like

wokkaboy
09-03-2015, 10:54 AM
nice looking LP PK, bet its a delight to play !

bargeloobs
09-03-2015, 11:00 AM
If you haven't guessed it, I am taking a few queues off this gibo and applying them to my builds. One hopes to get some nice sounding instruments as a result.

PK

At the end of the day Gibson know how to build a quality instrument that's built to play so what better yardstick to try and emulate.
If you can get within a bulls roar of one of their instruments you'd be doing pretty well.
I must say you've put out a few nice fricken axes so far PK.

kells80aus
09-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Tks Barge,

Ive been tweaking a couple of my builds(Eagle 11's) today. I am thinking I might take the orange drop cap out of the neck pick up tone pots and shove some .023uf cps on those, s the P90's are carrying way too much bass.

Had Stan drop by this arvo and we chatted for about an hour. He's a real nice bloke. I got all the goss on the Harmony and showed him my work.

Cheers PK

stan
09-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Was a pleasure to meet you PK, that Gibbo is the duck's nuts.
Pk's builds are quality, guys, they look as good in person.
The Eagles are very cool, very solid, any pretty heavy - they look great

Must catch up again Paul, I think it needs to involve a bbq, drinks and guitars, just saying...

kells80aus
09-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Tks Stan,
likewise.

The Eagle 11's are heavy instruments, they are built for pleasure, not for gigging for hours on end. Both are solid lumps of Mahogany. each is finished slightly differently.
Son Chris' which was the first finished of the two, was deliberatly not grain filled on the back. this gives it that wonderful textured finish. this one is 44mm thick
Mine was grain filled this one is 37mm thick. Both are finished with Tungoil/poly on the backs and the fronts on both are shellaced
The necks are alos shellaced.

I have been thinking yes we should have a catch up with a few of the PBG family. Of course we need some one like Kelloooe who can actually play to come and entertain us while we drink booze and eat burnt cow.

Cheers PK

stan
09-03-2015, 05:45 PM
yep, Callum, AJ and anyone else who wants to come

keloooe
09-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Haha nah I'm not that good compared to if I really sat down for hours and drilled the scales into my head!

dingobass
09-03-2015, 11:47 PM
And this is how LP's look when they come to my workshop.........
They have the worst designed necks and the build quality sux.

keloooe
10-03-2015, 04:55 AM
Headstock break due to the horrible joint they use instead of something more like a scarf joint? Maybe the same with the heel?

stan
10-03-2015, 05:24 AM
head stocks on LPs often break in a fall. If they land flat on their backs the headstock hits first due to the angles. Lay an LP on it's back and the only bits touching the deck are the bridge end of the body and the top edge of the headstock.

Drop a Strat the same way: just pick it up an play

pablopepper
10-03-2015, 05:53 AM
Oh look, we've found something DB doesn't like..... :P

stan
10-03-2015, 05:58 AM
yeah Pabs, not real hard is it.. lol

dingobass
10-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Heheheheheeee... Its not that I dont like Gibbos as such, (Firebirds and Thunderbirds are two of my all time faves) its the lack of care in design and build quality I have issues with. Its such a pity that Gibbo invest all their cash into developing crappy stuff like auto tuners instead of ironing out the design flaws...

dingobass
10-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Headstock break due to the horrible joint they use instead of something more like a scarf joint? Maybe the same with the heel?

They break because there is no volute in the area where the headstock meets the neck.. Way too thin in that critical area..
I saw a LP headstock snap off when the Guitarist turned around and banged it on a mike stand!
You can only imagine how peeved the guy was, it was such a sweet sounding Axe and cost him quite a lot of money as it was a early 60's Gold Top model in pristine condition.....

bargeloobs
10-03-2015, 07:57 AM
They break because there is no volute in the area where the headstock meets the neck.. Way too thin in that critical area..
I saw a LP headstock snap off when the Guitarist turned around and banged it on a mike stand!
You can only imagine how peeved the guy was, it was such a sweet sounding Axe and cost him quite a lot of money as it was a early 60's Gold Top model in pristine condition.....

I remember reading in Slash's bio, he used to put pressure on the headstock/neck to get a vibrato/whammy effect and busted the headstock clean off one of his LP's while rehearsing one time, smashed his face up and nearly knocked himself out:-)
And that's just by hand...

stan
10-03-2015, 07:57 AM

stop it DB, you nearly made me cry...

you're right though, they sure rest on their laurels

pablopepper
10-03-2015, 08:03 AM
I've heard a number of times that a repaired Gibson headstock is stronger than an undamaged one. Maybe they need to incorporate that into the build process.

Nickosaurus
10-03-2015, 08:41 AM
^ if it ain't broke... break it

Fretworn
10-03-2015, 09:50 AM
I've heard a number of times that a repaired Gibson headstock is stronger than an undamaged one. Maybe they need to incorporate that into the build process.

Then they'd just have to work out how to keep them in tune for more than three songs!

pablopepper
10-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Never had any tuning issues with mine, it's probably the most stable guitar I've ever owned.

dingobass
10-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Then they'd just have to work out how to keep them in tune for more than three songs!

Grubsons answer to this is to come up with that crappy autotune thingy...
Typical of a company that has crawled up its own butt.. Create stupid technology rather than fix the origional design flaws!

wokkaboy
10-03-2015, 11:19 AM
sounds like DB would rather shop at the big green shed than to go buy a new Gibbo !

Nickosaurus
10-03-2015, 12:39 PM
What design flaws are there DB? I'm curious.

From my experience almost all tuning problems are from the nut not being lubed or the strings not being attached properly. I've set up tons of student guitars and once I've sorted those two out the rest falls into place. This is $50 chinese strats too

wokkaboy
10-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Nicko hope you are patient, it will take some time for DB to prepare a 40 terabyte document

Nickosaurus
10-03-2015, 01:05 PM
I'm prepared for the in-depth blueprinting and microscopic detail. :P

maybe he's had it on file for a while

bargeloobs
10-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Nicko hope you are patient, it will take some time for DB to prepare a 40 terabyte document

Hahahahaha

dingobass
10-03-2015, 02:33 PM
OK.. To put it as concisely as possible, the main area of weakness is the transition from the neck to headstock.
As you are aware, a grubson neck to headstock transition is rather flat and sudden.
The simple soloution to strengthen this is to make a triangular transition, ie, leave a bit of meat there.
This wont affect the playing comfort at all and would make the headstock a heck of a lot stronger.

The other way would be to machine the neck out of a single chunk of tree, thus doing away with the join.

wokkaboy
10-03-2015, 02:44 PM
makes sense DB, thats the smallest 40 terabyte document I seen !

bargeloobs
10-03-2015, 02:47 PM
makes sense DB, thats the smallest 40 terabyte document I seen !

That's only a dribblebyte.

stan
10-03-2015, 03:01 PM
a Dingobyte

wokkaboy
10-03-2015, 03:01 PM
haha nice one Barge/Stan, nice new words you made up.
Since Stan is an overlord now he can get away with more haha

bargeloobs
10-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Since Stan is an overlord now he can get away with more haha

Orr is that how it works? So he's gonna start mixing DT with Nitro now?
Congrats on the new status BTW Stan, well deserved title.

wokkaboy
10-03-2015, 03:06 PM
not sure it works that way Barge but I've got cheekier the more posts I make hahah

bargeloobs
10-03-2015, 03:09 PM
not sure it works that way Barge but I've got cheekier the more posts I make hahah

Ahhh it's all in fun bro:-)

dingobass
10-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Dingobyte.... Thats Gold! :)

wokkaboy
10-03-2015, 03:16 PM
you like Dingobyte so much it got a double post DB ! --> EDIT DB fixed that !

so presume a Dingobyte is about 1 kilobyte based on the amount of text in your last post DB

pablopepper
10-03-2015, 03:20 PM
The other way would be to machine the neck out of a single chunk of tree, thus doing away with the join.

Huh? Gibson necks are one piece.

bargeloobs
10-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Huh? Gibson necks are one piece.

Not all of them bro, my SG had a scarf joint.

keloooe
10-03-2015, 03:30 PM
No pabs, the headstock is a different piece of tree, just like the PBG kits but with a different joint. TBH the PBG joint is structurally better than the Gibbo joint if you drop the axe, I dropped my Epi once (same joint as a Gibbo, verified by a tech), split the whole headstock in twain, drop the PBG LP from double the height, no damage!

bargeloobs
10-03-2015, 03:33 PM
The LP traditionals are one piece.

pablopepper
10-03-2015, 03:33 PM
What? I thought scarf joints were one of the ways to tell a fake..... Pulling mine out now....

pablopepper
10-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Mine is most definitely one piece.

wokkaboy
10-03-2015, 03:41 PM
I did a bit of research and looks like most LP's are one piece and Epi's are a scarf joint but sure not all of them like Pablo's

dingobass
10-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Of course they are! Was getting confused with Epis....
So, back to the first line of thought re leaving a volute in the transition area.....

bargeloobs
10-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Mine is most definitely one piece.

Actually man, I was just looking at pics of my SG and that was a one piece, I don't know what the hell made me think otherwise.
You're right Pabs, they do a one piece and also what they call a 3 piece which is just added wings on the headstock.

wokkaboy
10-03-2015, 03:48 PM
yeah thats what I read online Barge,
here's the LP traditional stats
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional/Neck-and-Headstock.aspx

pablopepper
10-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Thank you. I was having a moment there......

You are absolutely right about the volute, DB. Never gonna happen though.

kells80aus
10-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Funny you know, all these issues with necks, I'd never realised you were supposed to drop them, Just shows how silly I am.... :P

I've got 13 guitars in the house with gibson style necks. Ever since I bought my first guitar in 1968 when I was just 16, bought it from Melb music centre above Brashes in Melb, I've been very carefool how I handle guitars, be they mine or anyone elses. I haven't broken one. Guess now based on all the above I need to stop being anal about stuff, and start bashing the crap out of them.. ;P

##Typo Corrected.... sort of I like being carefu# about things..##

PK

Ah Humor, it's so funny

wokkaboy
10-03-2015, 04:00 PM
nice one PK. You might want to proof read a word in the 2nd paragraph an honest typo haha

pablopepper
10-03-2015, 04:02 PM
Hahahahaha! That's gold.

bargeloobs
10-03-2015, 04:06 PM
That's when you "care"... but not really:-)

wokkaboy
10-03-2015, 04:10 PM
haha must be Barge, today the forum have invented 3 new words !

stan
10-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Funny you know, all these issues with necks, I'd never realised you were supposed to drop them, Just shows how silly I am.... :P

I've got 13 guitars in the house with gibson style necks. Ever since I bought my first guitar in 1968 when I was just 16, bought it from Melb music centre above Brashes in Melb, I've been very carefool how I handle guitars, be they mine or anyone elses. I haven't broken one. Guess now based on all the above I need to stop being anal about stuff, and start bashing the crap out of them.. ;P

##Typo Corrected.... sort of I like being carefuk about things..##

PK

Ah Humor, it's so funny

I like your new word PK, it has another prefix: givva

keloooe
10-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Good one PK, even though it was a typo :D
@Stan: yeah most definitely

dingobass
27-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Another example of what LP's look like....
https://www.facebook.com/guitarfail/posts/967519129939838

andrewdosborne
27-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Another example of what LP's look like....
https://www.facebook.com/guitarfail/posts/967519129939838

Stan, another one for you to repair!

stan
27-03-2015, 05:44 PM
Stan, another one for you to repair!

haha, at least I know I could do that one! Practice make perfect. And it wouldn't fail at that point again...

kells80aus
27-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Damn, son's had a change of plans and won't be away for 3 months now so have to take his shit back to him.

But in the interim I've straightened the neck on one of his acoustics and re-adjusted the pick ups on his Eagle ii.

I was going to fix his Cort, but he took that to QLD.
But while he was home this arvo, he has reported to me that the Cheapy acoustic I fixed the neck on now plays better than his Cort.

GO FIGURE.... LOL maybe the old man does know what he's talkin about.

@Stan, I've been on the lookout for a fixer. I shied away from the Framus Jazz body http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-1950s-FRAMUS-archtop-guitar-body-spruce-top-maple-back-Red-burst-VGC-/251890805822? on fleace bay as it misght be too tough a call to find a neck that fits.

PK

PK

stan
28-03-2015, 06:17 PM
that Framus is nice: time to learn neck building , PK!

dingobass
28-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Hey PK, sure I could whip up a neck for it.. Could even just do the basics and leave the final shaping etc for you to finish...
PM me if you are interested.

andrewdosborne
28-03-2015, 10:13 PM
PK, that Framus would be one awesome project. Beautiful body, go for it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stan
29-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Do it Paul!, get a DB neck for it

kells80aus
29-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Tks Stan,
I would if I could. but the dogs of povety are barking at my door.
Got an Interview on Tuesday, so wish me luck for that
PK

dingobass
29-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Hope you nail the interview PK!

keloooe
29-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Good luck for the interview PK!

kells80aus
30-03-2015, 07:28 AM
@DB @Keloooe Tks Guys It's only a short contract, but should be followed by a longer one.
PK

stan
30-03-2015, 05:51 PM
All the best for tomorrow mate!!!

stan
30-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Tks Stan,
I would if I could. but the dogs of povety are barking at my door.
Got an Interview on Tuesday, so wish me luck for that
PK

Get the body, save for the neck

robin
30-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Good luck with the interview Paul.

DrNomis_44
31-03-2015, 12:24 PM
I have a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio, it's a regular rather than a Deluxe model, other than having to replace the original Kluson Deluxe tuners (they exhibited varying degrees of backlash with the A-string tuner being the worst with about 1/4 turn of backlash), has had relatively few issues, I use a product called Big Bends Nut Sauce (a special friction-reducing lubricant).

My Les Paul Studio is finished in Vintage Sunburst, has Gibson's 480 and 490T (I think ) pickups, has coil-tapping on both pickups (to activate you just pull the pickup volume knobs away from the body) that convert the pickups to single coils when activated.

Here's a pic of the guitar:2525

stan
31-03-2015, 12:33 PM
very sweet Gibbo DrN

kells80aus
31-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Hi DrNom.
Very nice Unit. I'm impressed by the push pulls, obviously an after market Mod.
If I did it to Chris' Gibbo, I am sure he would fillet me.

@Stan and Co.
The Framus has been passed In. If It comes up again I'll make em an offer. As long as I get the Yeah email in a cpl of weeks time.
Todays Interview went well. Just have to spend the next two weeks waiting for the Yeah/Nay letter/email

PK

DrNomis_44
31-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Hi DrNom.
Very nice Unit. I'm impressed by the push pulls, obviously an after market Mod.
If I did it to Chris' Gibbo, I am sure he would fillet me.

@Stan and Co.
The Framus has been passed In. If It comes up again I'll make em an offer. As long as I get the Yeah email in a cpl of weeks time.
Todays Interview went well. Just have to spend the next two weeks waiting for the Yeah/Nay letter/email

PK

Actually, no, the push-pull pots came standard right from the Gibson USA factory, that is to say, my Gibson Les Paul Studio came from the factory equipped with coil-tapping as standard.

What it doesn't have is the cream-coloured edge-binding on the body and neck, but I'm fine with that cause I've essentially got a genuine Gibson USA Les Paul.

Oh, almost forgot to add that before the Maple cap was glued on the Mahogany body the factory workers cut hollow chambers in the body to reduce the weight, personally I think it had no adverse effect on the tone of the guitar.

How's this, my Les Paul was involved in an accident at the shop where I bought it, basically what happened was that some shop fittings came away from the wall and the guitar and a few others fell to the ground, the other guitars ended up with damage like broken headstocks and such, but my Les Paul only suffered some minor cosmetic damage in the form of some dings, other than that it is perfectly playable, no cracks at the headstock where you'd expect there to be some, John,the owner of the shop was going to sell all the guitars on eBay, I talked to John about buying the guitar and he said that he wouldn't let it go for less than a third of the retail price off it and he asked me to make him an offer on it, I said "How about $2000.00?", he said "Done", the guitar was originally retailing for $2599.00, I'm happy with it anyway.

kimball492
31-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Good luck with the Job Kells