PDA

View Full Version : grain filling question

Jason29307
03-03-2015, 11:50 PM
I have a lp jr. double cut mahogany kit that I am starting to finish. I have sanded down to 400 and I am getting ready to start grain filling. Now, should I use vinyl sealer then grain fill, or grain fill then use vinyl sealer? I have seen it done both ways, but would like to know what you guys think?
Also, should I wipe the body with a damp cloth to lift the pores, or should I use naptha or denatured alcohol?
I would appreciate any help and tips you guys could share.
Thanks so much

Ps.. I am going to finish in TV yellow.

dingobass
04-03-2015, 07:10 AM
Firstly, wipe the body down with a damp rag to lift the end grain then sand and repeat.
Personally, I like to grain fill first using Timbermate watered down slightly and applied with a rubber scraper.
Then sand back and check it and if the pores are nicely filled attack it with the undercoat/ sealer.
Always allow at least a week between coats, regardless of what the instructions on the paint label says :)

Tindrrel
15-08-2015, 02:39 PM
So I've never used grain filler before.

I got some Behlen Mahogany grain filler and wanted to do a test.

Not having any spare mahogany, I used a bit of pine plank.

After some sanding, applied the grain filler as per the instructions on the tin.

Lumped on and spread with a rubber edge spreader diagonally to the grain.

Left to dry for a week (not intentionally that long), then sanded it back.

The grain filler sanded off into a fine powder much easier than I though it would as it seemed to have dried quite hard.

So...

Is this what it should look like?

dingobass
15-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Looks good to me.
As long as you cant see any holes, valleys or bomb craters I would say it was a success :)

stan
16-08-2015, 10:50 AM
looks good.
A test my Dad taught me for checking smoothness (this was for painting cars): Shut your eyes and run your hands over it. If it feels smooth , it is.
If you can feel an irregularity, you will see it when you paint it.

Tindrrel
16-08-2015, 11:10 AM
And if it's still not smooth, repeat the grain filler?

stan
16-08-2015, 05:24 PM
And if it's still not smooth, repeat the grain filler?

yeah, but be realistic too, and the paint will fill a little too