PDA

View Full Version : You can build a Pc that also runs Mac software too

kimball492
25-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Building a Pc looks complicated but in truth it's just modules that you plug together.

These are a case , a power supply, a motherboard , a CPU ,memory , a graphics card ,harddrive or ssd drive . And software currently recommend Win 7 or 8 or Apple Yosemites And a DVD drive.

If you are wise you use components that work with Pc and Mac . That way when you boot up the computer you choose if you want your computer to be a PC or Mac . You can choose each time you boot your computer as to which operating system you want . Some people run windows for business ,then reboot ,when they want to use graphics packages , or maybe there Daw. Personally I have both but I prefer Pcs .its the tweaker in me . Macs kinda say your doing it my way lol. But that's personal and don't want to get into the macs are better than pc battle . It's what ever suits your needs best. Here's an image showing some of the components required including some spelling errors not mine ,besides I can make my own spelling errors lol. . If there's interest in this topic I'll add more info later. One thing if you want to make a daw or build a PC to use with pro tools , be careful because only certain components are recognised by pro tools you have to stick to tried and trusted builds more of that later
Best Wishes
Kimball

kells80aus
25-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Hi Kimbal.
Yep been there tried that.
It's not as easy as they make out. I tried putting OS10 on my PC but the hardware wasn't up to date enough to run the Mac OS.
So I ran Ubuntu instead. :)
My PC is getting a bit long in the tooth but the good old LGA775 Quad core still runs happily with 4Gb of DDR2 and my slowly fading 9600 1Gb graphics card.

kimball492
25-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Yeah as I say Kells you gotta use upto date mac compatible components
You know put some more memory in your pc . If your Ubuntu is 64 bit It'll fly.

kimball492
25-02-2015, 02:31 PM
http://lifehacker.com/the-always-up-to-date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh-o-5841604
Ive made a couple of these find it great . Also my Macs run windows too it's convenience being able to use the
One computer with both operating systems

stan
25-02-2015, 05:35 PM
wouldn't it be more straight forward to run a mac with windows emulator software - best of both worlds ?

keloooe
25-02-2015, 05:51 PM
Yes, as Stan said there are parallel OS software packages that can do it even easier.
Ouch Paul, still on 775 and DDR2? My next pc will have 4GB of DDR3 dual channel RAM, with the motherboard being a cheap (but still nice) MSI Socket FM2+ and an AMD dual core APU, all housed inside a BitFenix Phenom, cheap but will be pretty powerful for the money and when I watercool the CPU and move up to Intel CPU's, I'll have one hell of a PC in a very small footprint!

keloooe
25-02-2015, 06:04 PM
Also a note to everyone who still uses a 3.5" mechanical hard drive for OS and main programs get a decently sized SSD, will be worth the $$$ in speed and reliability, just don't defrag it at all as it will shorten the life of the drive very severely...

kimball492
25-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Hi Stan, using vm7 or parallels software to run windows in Mac enviroment was always slow ,buggy . It always crashed on me .The great thing when apple decided to start using Intel compatible mother boards and processors made it possible to run both Mac and PC software at the same time . All I do when I switch my computer on is decide if I want it to be a pc or a Mac . It just helps me having one computer with both operating systems on it .

kimball492
26-02-2015, 09:47 AM
One of the best Motherboards you can currently buy without doubt is the Gigabyte ga-z77x-up5 th
The reason being it works as a mac and PC as used by the Pro Tools Pc makers . It's a bit pricey but
Has everything you need plus thunderbolt ports I'll find you some other motherboards worth looking at

stan
26-02-2015, 12:17 PM
thanks for the education Kimball!

kimball492
26-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Pleasure Stan I hope it helped in some way.