PDA

View Full Version : Bridge placement

Jason29307
25-02-2015, 05:23 AM
Hey guys,
I hope you can help me.
I have a Les Paul Jr double cut kit, single p-90 pick up that doesn't have the bridge holes drilled. This will be my third build so I am pretty comfortable with the process but have never had to drill hole for the bridge. Can you guys tell me the process and what the steps are to get it right? How do I know where to drill the holes? and should I drill the holes before or after I do the finish? Any help you can tell me or steer me in a direction I would greatly appreciate. Thanks so much.. Jason

wokkaboy
25-02-2015, 07:44 AM
howdy Jason, that's strange, normally the JR-1DC kit comes with a wrap around bridge and has 2 bridge post holes pre-drilled.
Were you supplied with a wrap around bridge as per the picture ?
Can you please post a picture of the body top so I can see if there is anything else different to the standard kit ?

Jason29307
25-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Well.. I didn't get it from Pit Bull, but this is the best forum I think for building guitars. I hope it is OK to post this here.
I bought this kit from a fellow that didn't have time to build it. It was was a custom order. I am not sure from where though. I have laid out all the parts and everything is there down to the last screw and a few extras. But there are no instructions. Just a paper with the with Scale is 24.75" with 22fret. Here is some pictures of the body, the bridge and the pickup all in place.
Please let me know what you think..
Thanks so much

wokkaboy
25-02-2015, 10:24 AM
ah ok no drama Jason. So it looks like a set neck - aka glue in ? I'd confirm the scale length of 24.75" = 628.6mm, so front of nut to centre of 12th fret should be about 314mm which sounds correct for a Gibbo scale.
Best way to position the bridge is to clamp the neck into the pocket and work out the centreline of the neck. Wind both E saddles all the way forward. Distance centre of 12th fret to bass side low E should measure about 317mm and treble side high E should measure about the same distance 314mm. Then you have the full saddle travel length to make it longer during intonation. Remember the tune-o-matic bridges have a slight slant on the bridge to allow for heavier strings needing more distance from the nut.
Best put some masking tape over the area you need to mark up so you don't put pencil marks on the top. You would be surprised how easy a pencil line will leave a mark. Find the centre line of the bridge and mark that with masking tape and line up with the centreline. Use the bridge to mark out the bush locations.
How tight is the neck pocket fit, a bit of movement ? This will decide the order you go about this.
The bridge bush holes should be tapered, same shape as the bush itself, I've got away with using think a 12mm drill and rotating the drill a little to get a similar shape. Get some scrap wood and work out what drill sizes you need to get the bushes flush, but don't tap them all the way in or you won't be able to remove them.
Is there a hole from pickup cavity to control cavity ?
Also don't forget to drill a hole from treble side bridge post to control cavity for the earth wire

stan
25-02-2015, 05:50 PM
some good advice there Jason, enjoy the build