PDA

View Full Version : Has Any One Yried This Recipe Out

kimball492
24-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Has any one tried this recipe for Tru-oil out supposedly.

Tru-Oil Recipe
1/3 PURE tung must be a pure Tung oil not a mix 1/3 thinnner 1/3 Pure Boiled Linseed Oil again pure not Mixed .This is probably the exact recipe of Tru-Oil .They also add a perfume to make it smell nice.

Worth a try I guess

keloooe
25-02-2015, 05:55 AM
Wait, so is it just 1/3 pure tung oil? What else?

gavinturner
25-02-2015, 05:57 AM
I'm guessing the thinner could be Turps or Shellite? I have used both these before to thin TO, so should work.

cheers,
Gav.

kimball492
25-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Hi Keloooe Its up above Bro .Here it is again Pure Tung Oil Thinners And Pure Boiled Linseed quantities as above ref thinners mineral spirits, paint thinner, turpentine, naptha)
I'll run through Quantities again taken from website the ratio of mix is
1/3 pure Tung oil , 1/3 Thinners, 1/3 Pure Boiled Linseed Oil . If you want faster drying use more thinners if you want better protection use more oils .
Guys it's not my recipe a buddy from USA sent it me .
Hope it works out for you .

wokkaboy
25-02-2015, 09:12 AM
interesting Kimball. Keen to see if anyone tries to make their own naughty oil.

stan
25-02-2015, 06:03 PM
interesting, might try some...

dingobass
26-02-2015, 06:24 PM
The missing ingredients for a complete TO are,
Supa fine ground glass and chemical dryers-(highly toxic)

Otherwise what you have here is a vauge copy of a traditional Georgian Varnish.. Albeit minus the careful cooking of the oils.

Not saying the recipe wont work, but it wont be a fast drying mix and it wont give a hard enough finish.
How do I know this? From twelve months of R&D invested into Dingotone.

kimball492
26-02-2015, 11:14 PM
Yeah Japanese Dryers are very toxic thank God there wasn't any in recipe I put up here . I tried the recipe on Strat neck
I love it compared to the horrible gloss plastic crap that was on it . I'm sure your products do dry quicker and have a harder finish DB .
But I just had to give it a go. I put about 6 coats over about three days very hot days I might add the neck drank it in . Didn't know Tru oil had glass in .

I'm just checking out The recipe you mentioned a Georgian Oil Varnish recipe: 1 part Gum Rosin. 1/2 to 1 part Linseed Oil. 2 parts turpentine. Interesting

dingobass
27-02-2015, 07:03 AM
I'm just checking out The recipe you mentioned a Georgian Oil Varnish recipe: 1 part Gum Rosin. 1/2 to 1 part Linseed Oil. 2 parts turpentine. Interesting

Thats the traditional one.. What none of these recipes tell you is you have to cook some of the ingredients, very carefully.. Otherwise you end up with a very slow drying finish that feels tacky for months.
I must have wasted about ten litres of oils getting the Dingotone right... Bloody expensive when you fork out over $40 litre for the best quality 100% pure oils!
The other difficult bit is sourcing really good quality rosin.. There is plenty out there but most of it is rubbish, (suitable only for Cello bows and weight lifters etc for enhanced grip) but even the good quality stuff has to be cleaned as there is always some crud in it, this is a monumental pain in the butt as this is a long and drawn out process.
I could just not bother, but the difference between cleaned and as it comes is unbelievable..
So yes, it is rewarding to make your own finish.
Pre spray on gunk days every Luthier had thier own secret recipe, but just be aware that interweb recipes only give you the basic ingredients.
What they dont tell you is the method of actually making the finish work properly

stan
27-02-2015, 08:38 AM
thanks DB, that's great and helpful background