PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Guitar tuning.

kells80aus
22-02-2015, 05:56 AM
Take a look at this.
Now you can automatically tune your axe.

http://www.tronical.com/

dingobass
22-02-2015, 07:51 AM
Absolute rubbish.. I read on one of the Guitar forums that the company that puts these on their Guitars have a room full of unplayable Guitars fitted with this junk.
They make lots of claims about how good it is but the reality is it breaks strings, twists necks and has crappy nylon gears that suddenly shag out at exactly the wrong moment....
Besides, if a player cant use their ear, fingers and a tuner they probably should get some lessons.......
Such a pity that this company waste heaps of cash producing these useless "innovations" rather than building a decent Guitar.....
Todays rant over :)

wokkaboy
22-02-2015, 07:54 AM
haha nice one another product added to the growing list of DB's banned products. I agree if you can't tune an axe don't play it !

Rob L
22-02-2015, 08:04 AM
Yeah I'll stick with a tuner and turn the keys myself. Used a pitchfork and my ear when I first started playing. Tuners weren't even around yet.

dingobass
22-02-2015, 08:53 AM
hope I did not come across sounding like I am having a go at Paul. I am glad he posted this one as it is another classic example of technology dumbing things down..

bargeloobs
22-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Well while you're on the subject of useless bits of kit here's one that keeps popping up every site I visit and gets my vote for a total waste of time and that's the BeatBuddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4vm6OiXXpk

My interpretation of the Beatbuddy sales pitch...

* Are you tired of just being the guitarist in your band?
* Do you feel even though you've got your own effects pedalboard to worry about you're still under utilizing your feet?
*Sick of "real" drummers never shutting up while you're trying to tune up or discuss important band stuff with the more mature members of the group?
* Ever wonder why tap dancers get all the chicks?

So stop being so fricken lazy, sack your drummer today and get those feet moving.
COMING SOON - The BeatBuddy Hat, so you can do those all important cymbal crashes....with your head.

andrewdosborne
22-02-2015, 09:47 AM
Too funny Barge,,sounds terrible.. Also notice he whips out a green Djent guitar part way in...

Rob L
22-02-2015, 09:48 AM
If it's programmable the beat buddy can actually be a useful tool. Especially when writing. If it can play Ska beats, Reggae, funk, whatever I happen to be writing at the time it could be useful to help me hear how a certain song will sound. My zoom pedal has a basic built in drum machine and it's helped me time and time again.

Other than that I see no use for it. I would certainly never use it on stage or even to lay drum tracks. I have a digital machine for that and there's a crap ton of vst's out there that sound like the real thing.

I think what's sad is how they market these things to new musicians who might not know better or are looking for a quick way to do something. I know many solo guitarists who use things like this as well as loopers so they can fill out their sound. I understand why they do but it's not something I would do.

I've already had half a dozen guitarists ask me about the tuner. I've told them all the same thing. If you can't use a tuner and turn the keys yourself you're lazy and should put the guitar down.

bargeloobs
22-02-2015, 10:03 AM
If it's programmable the beat buddy can actually be a useful tool. Especially when writing. If it can play Ska beats, Reggae, funk, whatever I happen to be writing at the time it could be useful to help me hear how a certain song will sound. My zoom pedal has a basic built in drum machine and it's helped me time and time again.

It is programmable, that's suppose to be it's usp. So you sit down at your computer and spend God knows how many hours punching beats into this thing, then you've gotta turn round and drive it on stage or wherever you're using it.
I mean if I'm going to the trouble of programming midi drums, well I'll just do it in my DAW and play over that, voila no tap dancing needed and I get decent sounding drum samples.
Totally agree Rob, anytime I start writing its always guitars in conjunction with beats, that way (as you say) you get a feel for the song, but that's why we use DAW's, you certainly don't need a gimmicky pedal for that.

bargeloobs
22-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Too funny Barge,,sounds terrible.. Also notice he whips out a green Djent guitar part way in...
You gotta give the dude points for multi-tasking I guess:P
Djent or DIE!!!

kells80aus
22-02-2015, 10:16 AM
One more point you missed DB.
These things have to fit perfectly.
They give a set of measurements that have to suit your guitar.
None of them are suited to any of my PBG kits, nor either of my Epi's. Hmm Might fit the Cort. but seeing as that cost me $60 and these are how much....

No offence taken Dingo. Just thought it was interesting.
:)

PK

PK

Rob L
22-02-2015, 10:21 AM
I can see your point too Barge. I just do things a bit differently. Maybe once I learn my DAW that'll change. :)

Rob L
22-02-2015, 10:24 AM
One more point you missed DB.
These things have to fit perfectly.
They give a set of measurements that have to suit your guitar.
None of them are suited to any of my PBG kits, nor either of my Epi's. Hmm Might fit the Cort. but seeing as that cost me $60 and these are how much....

No offence taken Dingo. Just thought it was interesting.
:)

PK

PK

What about the weight? Thing must weigh a bit. I can't see having that extra weight on my head stock.

kells80aus
22-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Hi Rob L,

I dunno what they might weigh I'd guess about 150grams. I can click on the link and look it up if you like. ;P

Might go well on my eagle 11 which is a big lump of mahogany that weights in at about three elephants(Damned heavy) :)

PK

keloooe
22-02-2015, 05:53 PM
It's been said many times here but I'll say it again, if you cannot tune a guitar properly yourself don't even bother having one, tuning was one of the first things I ever learned by myself.
We will end up with them as standard on everything one day though, but for now, we need to make such horrible devices obsolete!

maxaxe
22-02-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm searching for a bolt-on guitar accessory that will play the thing for me . . . or at the very least make me sound cool . . .
Lessons are too f****g much trouble.

pablopepper
23-02-2015, 08:18 AM
http://youtu.be/-abGDv-GMGk

Rob L
23-02-2015, 10:00 AM
I'm searching for a bolt-on guitar accessory that will play the thing for me . . . or at the very least make me sound cool . . .
Lessons are too f****g much trouble.

Oh what the hell. Let's just use laptops. :D

Rob L
23-02-2015, 10:06 AM
It's been said many times here but I'll say it again, if you cannot tune a guitar properly yourself don't even bother having one, tuning was one of the first things I ever learned by myself.
We will end up with them as standard on everything one day though, but for now, we need to make such horrible devices obsolete!

Yuppers!!!
First thing I taught myself was how to tune and until my hearing got bad I always tuned by ear.

Rob L
23-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Hi Rob L,

I dunno what they might weigh I'd guess about 150grams. I can click on the link and look it up if you like. ;P

Might go well on my eagle 11 which is a big lump of mahogany that weights in at about three elephants(Damned heavy) :)

PK

LOL@three elephants!!!
Makes me think about my old Ibanez DMZ 1000. Used to say it was a hippo with strings on it. :D

maxaxe
23-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Oh my stars & little planets Pablo!
I really had no idea such an insanely clever device existed . . .
One would almost suspect there's a harpsichordist hiding behind the thing.
Barring all the whirring stepper noise etc its' just staggering!
(where do I sign up?)

andrewdosborne
23-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Looks like a robot and sounds like one, the machines are taking over!

pablopepper
23-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Definitely sounds robotic.

kells80aus
23-02-2015, 02:47 PM
Damn thing plays beter than me. But that's not gunna stop me trying..... LOL

PK

TC1600
23-02-2015, 02:52 PM
There's a whole band like that, look up Compressorhead

Fretworn
24-02-2015, 09:00 AM

I've been telling piano players for decades that if they can't tune their instrument they shouldn't be allowed to play in public.... ;)

kells80aus
24-02-2015, 11:24 AM
This system really need a LIKE button...

I've been telling piano players for decades that if they can't tune their instrument they shouldn't be allowed to play in public.... ;)

PK

Scott J.
24-02-2015, 05:26 PM

Ah Keloooe, you've gazing into a crystal ball! ... Gibson are now releasing their G-Force Automated Tuning System as standard on the majority of their range of electric guitars ... so far it's infected the most of the line of Les Pauls and SGs and word is that they'll eventually spread to their whole range of electrics

... the end result being that within a year or two the only way you'll be acquire a new Gibson WITHOUT an auto-tuner will be by special order ... or remove the thing yourself and have to put up with the inevitable screw-holes and indentations from where it was mounted.

Personally I'm inclined to quite a martinet on this type of issue ... if you can't tune the instrument yourself, I don't think it's so much a case of "you shouldn't be playing it" ... but more a case of "you don't deserve to be playing it!"

bargeloobs
24-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Ah Keloooe, you've gazing into a crystal ball! ... Gibson are now releasing their G-Force Automated Tuning System as standard on the majority of their range of electric guitars ... so far it's infected the most of the line of Les Pauls and SGs and word is that they'll eventually spread to their whole range of electrics

... the end result being that within a year or two the only way you'll be acquire a new Gibson WITHOUT an auto-tuner will be by special order ... or remove the thing yourself and have to put up with the inevitable screw-holes and indentations from where it was mounted.

Personally I'm inclined to quite a martinet on this type of issue ... if you can't tune the instrument yourself, I don't think it's so much a case of "you shouldn't be playing it" ... but more a case of "you don't deserve to be playing it!"

As far as aesthetics go the G-Force system is about as sexy as a rock but you know what...I'd own one, definitely.
Having to fine tune after every take when recording is a pain in the ass and I'd embrace a technology that would eliminate that, plain and simple.

kells80aus
25-02-2015, 03:04 AM
"It's been said many times here but I'll say it again, if you cannot tune a guitar properly yourself don't even bother having one, tuning was one of the first things I ever learned by myself.
We will end up with them as standard on everything one day though, but for now, we need to make such horrible devices obsolete!"

The reality of these things is you can still tune it yourself. that's why it still has tuner knobs.. :D
I used to tune by ear and touch(yes I could feel the harmonic) now-a-days I have a couple of little electronic meters that tell me when it's spot on, and I am sure most others do too.

PK

Fretworn
25-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Well Gibsons do need all the help they can get to stay in tune......

vh2580
25-02-2015, 03:51 PM
tuning almost seems to be redundant these days with the new modellers and software that is available. Watched a couple of guys the other night using Variax and line six gear bash out a couple of songs with multiple turnings switching from standard to drop c and b with the push of a foot switch.