PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

moody
18-02-2015, 08:56 AM
Hi all.

Sydney dweller her, I have been a lurker here on an off for a fair length of time since I saw that there was a Rickenbacker style kit available. Now that I have back-ordered an RC-4 I decided that I should register.

The intention of building this kit is entirely for looks. I am quite happy with a standard Jazz bass type sound and don't expect it to sound much different from any other bass I have. (all the things that contribute to the rick sound not being present).

I won't decide on finish until I have it in my hands. i.e. I'm not going to set my heart on a stained finish if the wood warrants a solid colour.

I haven't built any basses (or guitars) before. I have done some setup work on a few and a lot of tinkering with electronics and building valve amps and speaker cabinets. I have a full time job and two very young children so I don't expect to do anything particularly quickly.

I frequent a few other forums, talkbass, AGGH and when I get started on this I'll probably put threads on those forums as well. Always willing to promote a good business.

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 09:13 AM
welcome Moody,
the RC-4 is a great looking kit and by the sounds of your background you will have more than enough experience to build the kit.
Start a build diary when the kit arrives, hopefully early/mid March I think the container is due.
It is a very fun hobby and sure it won't be your last build !
Ask any questions you have, there's been a few RC-4 builds on the forum so have a read of them may help with some tips

pablopepper
18-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Hi Moody, I love my RC4 and I'm sure you will too. I understand going for just the look of a ric, I did very much the same. Sounds nothing like a 4001/4003, but what really surprised me was the set neck. It feels more alive than any other bass I've owned. Can't wait to see your progress.

stan
18-02-2015, 09:58 AM
welcome Moody!

andrewdosborne
18-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Moody, welcome on board! The RC-4 looks like a great kit and am sure you will enjoy building it

moody
18-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Hi Moody, I love my RC4 and I'm sure you will too. I understand going for just the look of a ric, I did very much the same. Sounds nothing like a 4001/4003, but what really surprised me was the set neck. It feels more alive than any other bass I've owned. Can't wait to see your progress.

I have never played a set neck bass. Every bass I've ever owned or picked up has been a bolt on (I have picked up less than 10 in my life - not good for 15 years of bass playing).

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Moody it doesn't matter how many bass's you have played. It must mean you are happy with what you have.
I've never played a set neck bass but think it should sound and feel very nice

Fretworn
19-02-2015, 09:09 AM
Welcome Moody

Brendan
19-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Welcome along - the RC-4's are a nice kit and keen to get into mine when I get one or two of the others that I've started off the bench.

gavinturner
21-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Welcome Moody! I'm keen to hear all about your build. The RC-4 is a great kit and all the builds so far have turned out amazingly well.

cheers,
Gav.

moody
22-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Just wondering, what are the accepted reasons and why for finishing or for gluing the neck first.

My first thoughts are to dry run, set up all the parts and get the action correct, attach the neck and then begin sanding etc. That doesn't seem to be the done thing, is there any reason why?

gavinturner
22-02-2015, 05:10 PM
Hi Moody,
personally I have found that the sanding and polishing steps are just that bit harder when the neck is already set. Also, if you are planning on staining, you risk glue excess that needs to be cleaned up before the stain will take. Just a couple of things to consider.

cheers,
Gav.

moody
24-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Ok.

Not going to start a build thread yet because I haven't started anything yet. Bass has arrived and I have unpacked and trial fitted the neck etc. The fingerboard is a thing of beauty. The body is nice but nothing incredible so I'm thinking it will end up either opaque or very dark burst. (mid to dark blue burst to black at the edges - very high gloss?)

Looking at making this into a D standard tuned base (DCGF), slightly heavier strings but probably not as much overall tension. It seems a perfect compromise between the low end of the 5 string and the playability of the 4. (I have played a 5 for most of the last 15 years). I am considering doing this with my other basses as well.

Brendan
25-03-2015, 08:36 AM
Moody - sounds great. As for why stain body and neck separately, agree with Gav - other thing - when you're staining, you want to get into every nook and cranny - easier if you're working in smaller chunks and can move the parts around freely. Once it's all one, especially with a bass it starts to get big and can be heavy if held wrong - having dropped a body when it was 99% finished, it's not a fun feeling sanding off all that stain that had been laid down over weeks.

stan
25-03-2015, 08:47 AM
also don't stain the inside of the neck pocket and the tenon of the neck - you want glue bonding wood to wood, not finish to finish

cool build though, get a thread going once you are up and running - we love pics

wokkaboy
25-03-2015, 09:09 AM
hey Moody plans sound good, as others have said it will be much easier to work with as 2 pieces and glue the neck toward the end. Think you meant D tuning DGCF

moody
25-03-2015, 11:42 AM
hey Moody plans sound good, as others have said it will be much easier to work with as 2 pieces and glue the neck toward the end. Think you meant D tuning DGCF

Yes. just a moment of dsylexia. I wrote out the letters to differentiate it from Drop D. (I am never going to use a drop tuning, can't see the sense of it as a bass player who isn't doing power chords).