PDA

View Full Version : Free stuff!

bargeloobs
16-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Tons of free VST plugins for Windows and Mac...

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/software.php/id/7037/audio/Plug-ins-%26amp-effects/plugins/VST/

robin
16-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Good find Bargie. When I get some time I will troll though them. Thanks mate.

I got most of my free VST instruments from these 2 sites:

http://www.vst4free.com/
http://www.dskmusic.com/

For the best free "real" acoustic drumkit VST, you can't go past Sennheiser's Drum Mic'a. One kit, Dozens of mikes, hundreds of beats and thousands of samples. All in a small 4.9gb download!!!

You will also need Kontakt (also free). I found it a real pain to set up, but I'm using Reaper, so I don't know if that made a difference. My PC is a pretty low-end I3 with only 4 gb RAM, but so far I have had no troubles using it. I admit to not understanding half of what it can do, but once I got it going it is amazing. To whet your appetite check out this review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2TuymOIBBE

Cheers
rob

bargeloobs
17-02-2015, 03:20 AM
Nice one Robin, I just snagged me a sweet little tape emulator [ferox] from vst4free, it sounds beautiful!!!
Sounds so good in fact I had to share a sample.

Clip 1 is without, Clip 2 is with. [used on the master buss, new tape preset]

https://soundcloud.com/sodacupkiller/ferox-audio-sample/s-9JuXd

robin
17-02-2015, 04:56 AM
Nice Barge. To be honest I haven't checked out many VST effects as I haven't done much (any) guitar recording. Hopefully I will get into it someday. Some of the free VST's out there are surpringly good quality and bring recording into the reach of everybody, talent permitting.

rob

bargeloobs
17-02-2015, 05:03 AM
Some of the free VST's out there are surpringly good quality and bring recording into the reach of everybody, talent permitting.

rob

Totally agree man, I'm mean it'd be great to be able to spend tens of thousands of dollars on high end plugins and outboard gear, but for the average Joe it's simply not possible.
I don't think you necessarily need "talent" to achieve great results (or lots of money for that matter), just heaps of patience and a willingness to learn.

kimball492
18-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Free plugins and templates for logic http://www.logic-templates.com/free-plugins .bargey I'm trying to find an article where only the stock plugins where used to write mix and master a complete track only using stock plugins .

kimball492
18-02-2015, 09:09 AM
Here's the Video Barge where Graham only used the standard Daw all its plugins to finish and master a Ep I liked the one track he did on it called wandering man http://therecordingrevolution.com/2015/01/29/how-i-used-a-69-mic-and-some-headphones-to-make-an-album-video/

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Free plugins and templates for logic http://www.logic-templates.com/free-plugins .bargey I'm trying to find an article where only the stock plugins where used to write mix and master a complete track only using stock plugins .

Cool man. I'd be really interested to see something like that.

Here's my latest mix/master effort all done with freebies.

https://soundcloud.com/sodacupkiller/blinded

kimball492
18-02-2015, 09:24 AM
http://therecordingrevolution.com/2014/07/31/the-creativity-switch-and-a-brand-new-challenge-video/

kimball492
18-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Just listened to Blinded Barge . Vocals great up front in mix . The guitars nicely blended song construction good barge . Listened to dirty side mirrors . There's a song in there but it needs the polish,and clarity that you have going on in blinded . Maybe go back n revisit that song and redo with what you've learned from blinded . Great stuff like blinded Dude . I hope you don't mind me giving my
Ten cents . Barge go here download this free plugin http://www.slatedigital.com/products/revival I love this plugin gives you a warmth n creaminess to your mixes you will need an ilok dongle to use you may already have one . You can use this Ilok with thousands of plugins for future ref .http://www.slatedigital.com/products/revival An ilok dongle if any of the guys here don't know ,It is what a lot of plugin manufacturers use to protect there software pto tools uses it plus many others it plugs into a USB port on the computer.

kimball492
18-02-2015, 09:54 AM
for the guys that are new to recording Barge . Tell them what went into the track the mics, recording software ,plugins and of course guitars you used. P.s Have you tried Bias desktop app on your guitars its on ipad . It has amp matching on it too .

Kimball

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Just listened to Blinded Barge . Vocals great up front in mix . The guitars nicely blended song construction good barge . Listened to dirty side mirrors . There's a song in there but it needs the polish,and clarity that you have going on in blinded . Maybe go back n revisit that song and redo with what you've learned from blinded . Great stuff like blinded Dude . I hope you don't mind me giving my
Ten cents . Barge go here download this free plugin http://www.slatedigital.com/products/revival I love this plugin gives you a warmth n creaminess to your mixes you will need an ilok dongle to use you may already have one . You can use this Ilok with thousands of plugins for future ref .http://www.slatedigital.com/products/revival

I was actually looking to try a plugin the other day that needed the ilok dongle too, whereabouts do you get them?

Totally agree about that second track, there was very little time put into the mix (and it shows) and even less time on the master.
I plan to use "Dirty Side Mirrors" as my thirteenth hidden track on the new album so it will definitely be getting a makeover before it goes on, there's heaps of room for improvements.
I always welcome feedback (and appreciate it), good bad or otherwise, it's how we learn and hopefully improve.
I'm pretty proud of that new mix and while it could probably be done a lot better by someone with more experience, that's about as good as I can do.
If I can get one of those dongles I'll definitely grab a copy of that plugin, cheers heaps man;-)

kimball492
18-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Where you based Barge

kimball492
18-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Barge ref the best you can do , it's the best you've done so far .the best is yet to come right. Ref Iloks Ebay . If your in Perth . Go see George at Soundtown be warned its like being a kid in a lolly shop. George is a very knowledgable guy been in so many recording studios and toured with some big bands . Always has a great story to tell. http://www.soundtown.com.au . They do post too. Tell him Kimball sent you .Any you other guys in Perth go check soundtown out best toy shop in Perth lol
Oh Barge you need an Ilok 2 the old version doesn't work with some newer stuff .

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 10:29 AM
for the guys that are new to recording Barge . Tell them what went into the track the mics, recording software ,plugins and of course guitars you used. P.s Have you tried Bias desktop app on your guitars its on ipad . It has amp matching on it too .

Kimball

I'm not 100% certain what type of mic Jones used on his vocals but I've got a sneaking suspicion it was a good ol' SM-58, I'll have to ask him and get back with that.
Everything was recorded using FL-Studio 11 on this track with guitars and bass recorded via M-Audio M-Track straight into Guitar Rig 5.
Guitar preset was "Foo Monkey Grat" which is modeled after a Mesa Dual recto with a bit of added gain, while the bass preset was "Clean Bass"
Guitar used was my PBG "Blacktop", and my trusty B-10 LTD bass.
Main plugins were

Izotope Ozone 4
Guitar Rig 5
Bittersweet II
A1 Stereo Control
Ferox
Anechoic - Room Sim
After - Mastering Processor
Fruity Reverb (stock)
Fruity Parametric EQ (stock)
Fruity Compressor (stock)
Fruity Limiter (stock)
Fruity Stereo Shaper (stock)
Fruity Balance (stock)

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Barge ref the best you can do , it's the best you've done so far .the best is yet to come right. Ref Iloks Ebay . If your in Perth . Go see George at Soundtown be warned its like being a kid in a lolly shop. George is a very knowledgable guy been in so many recording studios and toured with some big bands . Always has a great story to tell. http://www.soundtown.com.au . They do post to Tell him Kimball sent you .Any you other guys in Perth go check soundtown out best toy shop in Perth lol
Oh Barge you need an Ilok 2 the old version doesn't work with some newer stuff .

Ilok 2, roger that, I'll get hold of one asap, cheers man.
I'm in S.A, 3 hours east of Adelaide so I guess Georges place is out of the question:-(
I'd have to say at this point the best is yet to come considering I listen to mixes I thought were good 3 months ago which now make me cringe. Just keep learning and improving, that's the key I think.

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 10:46 AM
sounds like you guys have got this home recording happening. Wish I had the time to sit down and muck around with the software but I'd rather be building in the workshop haha

kimball492
18-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Great hints and tips site for
Logic Pro http://logic-pro-expert.com
Pro tools http://www.pro-tools-expert.com. Check out the podcasts too

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 10:53 AM
sounds like you guys have got this home recording happening. Wish I had the time to sit down and muck around with the software but I'd rather be building in the workshop haha

Protip: do both;-)

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 10:59 AM
yeah would love to Barge, only if I could quit full time work I'd have heaps of time for both !

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 12:16 PM
yeah would love to Barge, only if I could quit full time work I'd have heaps of time for both !

I don't think you'd necessarily have to "quit work" per se. If you've got a genuine interest and passion for something, you manage to find/make time regardless of life's obligations.

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 12:27 PM
yeah I know Barge, you just got to prioritise your free time. Cause I sit in front of a PC for 9 hours/day at work I haven't got much motivation to spend more time in front of one so workshop time wins every time. Maybe weekends are a good time to play with recording software.
On the positive side it gives me heaps of time to log onto the forum and rack up my 5k posts hahah

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 12:36 PM
yeah I know Barge, you just got to prioritise your free time. Cause I sit in front of a PC for 9 hours/day at work I haven't got much motivation to spend more time in front of one so workshop time wins every time. Maybe weekends are a good time to play with recording software.
On the positive side it gives me heaps of time to log onto the forum and rack up my 5k posts hahah

Having never had a desk job I couldn't really relate, but I could only imagine the last thing you'd want to do when you knock off is stare at computer screen some more:-)
I hadn't noticed what your post count was up to, must be gettin' close huh?

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 12:40 PM
yeah you hit the nail on the head Barge, minimise PC screen time when you get home from work.
I've got so much to learn from home recording, have dabbled with Cubase but need a refresher. When I get setup I'll ask for some advice on plugins etc, haven't got time to read a heap of long threads
Still got 540 post till the big 5K but for me thats about 2 months worth so won't take long

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 12:57 PM
yeah you hit the nail on the head Barge, minimise PC screen time when you get home from work.
I've got so much to learn from home recording, have dabbled with Cubase but need a refresher. When I get setup I'll ask for some advice on plugins etc, haven't got time to read a heap of long threads
Still got 540 post till the big 5K but for me thats about 2 months worth so won't take long

Hehehe you'll have to throw a 5K party when you hit it!!

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 01:05 PM
haha great idea Barge, will probably celebrate 6K at PBG 3rd birthday party in August and hopefully see Maxxys latest builds.
Wonder if Maxaxe has got a case that fits the redback axe !
Might have to celebrate the 5K (if I make it) in about 4.5 weeks 4D turns 3 years old.
You always help me get my post numbers up Barge when its the Barge and Woks show haha

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 01:09 PM
haha great idea Barge, will probably celebrate 6K at PBG 3rd birthday party in August and hopefully see Maxxys latest builds.
Wonder if Maxaxe has got a case that fits the redback axe !
Might have to celebrate the 5K (if I make it) in about 4.5 weeks 4D turns 3 years old.
You always help me get my post numbers up Barge when its the Barge and Woks show haha

Right on man, glad to help:-)

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 01:16 PM
it's up to us to entertain the forum Barge, we hijack any thread, doesn't matter what it's about, as long as the Barge and Woks show goes on haha

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 01:19 PM
it's up to us to entertain the forum Barge, we hijack any thread, doesn't matter what it's about, as long as the Barge and Woks show goes on haha

It might be going on a bit longer too Wokks, I can't get the goddam chainsaw to start so that's that job buggered:-)

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 01:22 PM
haha thats a bummer Barge, maybe you flooded it ? How old is the spark plug ? Also check the air filter isn't blocked, and fuel/2 stroke mix is ok.
Sometimes turning the choke off and pull start a few times helps.
Otherwise the Barge and Wokks show continues.
There's a funny youtube video may help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY1YndLmbXQ

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Yeah I definitely flooded it, there was fuel pissing out the front of the exhaust. I never had it happen with a saw before but with this particular one (a Chinese ebay special) you can't hold it and start it, as soon as you tip it up fuel starts running out the front.
So what does he do, he picks it up to start it....dolt!!
Nah last time this happened Wokks I stripped her right back, blew out the filter, checked the plug and everything was cool. You just got to let the stupid thing sit and it eventually comes good.

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 01:30 PM
oh well sounds like the perfect excuse to crack a beer and wait for the carby to drain. Sounds a bit dodgy your saw bro !

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 01:38 PM
It used to start first pop everytime, I was actually quite amazed for a Chinese brand. It's cut a lot of wood since I've had her and I think the electronic ignitions getting a bit tired, it'll start again...just not today.
I can't even have a beer Wokks, I've sworn off the stuff and am back in the gym on the count of getting too fat, so that's that out of the question:-(
I've been leveling the front yard all day getting ready to sow some grass so I might have to go and do a bit more of that...after I get tea going.
On a guitar related note, my new pack of Dingotone turned up today (cheers DB) so I can get back into staining so that's a positive.

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 01:43 PM
wow Barge sworn off beer and working out - well done.
There's always work to do around the house hey.
Good news on the nullabor ochre turning up, look forward to updates.
I was going to message you Saturday Barge to let you know Aussies were playing in the world cup cricket :)
Kiwi's won their first two games

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 01:50 PM
wow Barge sworn off beer and working out - well done.
There's always work to do around the house hey.
Good news on the nullabor ochre turning up, look forward to updates.
I was going to message you Saturday Barge to let you know Aussies were playing in the world cup cricket :)
Kiwi's won their first two games

You know what man, that's how much I don't like cricket, I don't even care that the Kiwis won hahahaha.
That is a good result though, we'll take it:-)

Tell ya what, there's definitely always something to do round this place, it was a state before we moved in and the sections pretty damn big.
I should have it in order by about 2020 I reckon:-)

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 01:57 PM
haha nice one Barge, I was SMSing DB on Saturday and we thought we better let you know the cricket was on ;)
Sounds like you got heaps of work to do on the property. I saw a post on FB you gonna convert an old shed into a recording studio ?

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 01:59 PM
haha nice one Barge, I was SMSing DB on Saturday and we thought we better let you know the cricket was on ;)
Sounds like you got heaps of work to do on the property. I saw a post on FB you gonna convert an old shed into a recording studio ?

Hahaha yeah in my dreams, that's a few jobs down the list that one.

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 02:02 PM
yeah ok sounds like your list of jobs around the house is a small A4 book !
Oh well better get into the workshop and get a coat of ochre on that axe bro !

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 02:10 PM
yeah ok sounds like your list of jobs around the house is a small A4 book !
Oh well better get into the workshop and get a coat of ochre on that axe bro !

Yeah I will Wokks, unfortunately there's been a little problem with that project in the form of me going through the cap and I've been putting off fixing it. I throw some pics up later and get your thoughts on what to do, I know you'll have a solution.

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 02:12 PM
oh bugger sanding through the cap, we'll see where it is whether it can be hidden.
The veneers did look ultra thin. With any luck you can patch up the hole, think you have plenty of veneer left over ?

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 02:15 PM
oh bugger sanding through the cap, we'll see where it is whether it can be hidden.
The veneers did look ultra thin

Luckily it's only a tiny little bit right on the outside edge on the binding so I was thinking fill and then a black burst round the edge.
I'm just not sure of the best way to fill it/stick it down.

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 02:18 PM
I was just thinking Wokka, we should have been dribbling all this crap on my build diary page, we might have crack 25 pages or more by now:-)

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 02:19 PM
no worries Barge will wait for photos on your build diary. Sounds like a good solution fill and dark stain on the edge.
Racking up the posts nicely cheers bro. Have a look at the 'what's new' history the Barge and Woks show has been going off hahah

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 02:23 PM
no worries Barge will wait for photos on your build diary. Sounds like a good solution fill and dark stain on the edge.
Racking up the posts nicely cheers bro. Have a look at the 'what's new' history the Barge and Woks show has been going off hahah

We "owned" that What's New tab!!!

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 02:26 PM
haha nice screen dump Barge,
no worries we will continue the Barge and Woks show on your build diary - you will beat Pest's 25 odd page thread piece of cake

robin
18-02-2015, 04:15 PM
Cool man. I'd be really interested to see something like that.

Here's my latest mix/master effort all done with freebies.

https://soundcloud.com/sodacupkiller/blinded

Sorry to hi-jack your Thread guys, but I just wanted to thank Barge. Mate, that track is AWESOME. I have been trying out Reaper and to say that my efforts are amateurish at best is an understatement.

To know what can be accomplished in a home studio with free gear is definitely encouraging. Whether I can ever get near to your results remains to be seen, but I will persevere a bit longer.

OK you two, normal tramission can now resume. ;)

rob

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 05:06 PM
Sorry to hi-jack your Thread guys, but I just wanted to thank Barge. Mate, that track is AWESOME. I have been trying out Reaper and to say that my efforts are amateurish at best is an understatement.

To know what can be accomplished in a home studio with free gear is definitely encouraging. Whether I can ever get near to your results remains to be seen, but I will persevere a bit longer.

OK you two, normal tramission can now resume. ;)

rob

Hey cheers Robin I really appreciate the comments and DO stick at it, your perseverance will be rewarded in the end (hey if I can do it anyone can). I haven't had any experience with Reaper but if you need any general mixing help I'm more than willing to share my limited knowledge.
I must say, I'm pretty lucky having a world class vocalist in Nashville based Jones Nelson to collab with too, he really turns 'just another rock track' into a fully rounded song, and best of all he's signed on for the whole record so hopefully there's 11 more cool tracks to come.
He's literally just launched his new website and Facebook page if you wanna check him out.

http://www.jonesnelson.com/

https://www.facebook.com/jonesnelsonmusic

wokkaboy
18-02-2015, 05:58 PM
wow Barge I just listened to your track that sounds choice. So did you play the guitar tracks and bass and tweak/mix all the sounds ? Is the drum track from a drum machine ?
quality production bro !

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Hey cheers Wokks.
Yeah did everything on that one from the ground up.
The drums aren't a 'drum machine' as such, but are created from real life drum kit samples that are strung together to make patterns and ultimately an entire song.
The pic below of the step sequencer shows a typical drum pattern which is just triggered by those little buttons that are highlighted.
I typically work with patterns that are 2 bars in length or 8 beats (like the one shown), and you can get down to 16th notes using this method, beyond that it gets a bit trickier but is necessary for flams, fills and double kicks etc.
So you just build up lots and lots of these patterns to make a whole song.
The other pic shows all the different drums in the mixer e.g hats, snares, kick bla bla bla so you get total audio control over every aspect of the instruments within the drum kit.
NOTE: you can see I've got the kick highlighted and the list of plugins I've used for that particular instrument (comp, Ozone, Eq, Bittersweet)

The other pic just shows all the elements which made up the song e.g drums along the top, 3 lots of distorted guitars and the bass, so music wise it's fairly basic.

https://soundcloud.com/sodacupkiller/drum-snippet-blinded/s-NPTWb

This audio sample is a snippet of 'Blinded' drums after it's had effects added to all instruments then bounced down to a single stereo track, moved to a new project and from there I start 'stem mixing' which is basically mixing groups of instruments rather than individual ones.
I create stems of the guitars as well as any other instruments that make up the song. I keep the bass guitar separate rather than bouncing into a stem because it occupies so much bandwidth within the mix and you need total control over it so it doesn't drown other instruments.
After I've mixed all the stems I add the vocals and start treating them and working them into the music.
Confused yet...yeah me too:-)

keloooe
18-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Barge mate, that track is STUNNING! Top job there!
I've been mucking around with my copy of Music Creator 6 (about the same price as Reaper), so far I quite like it, now if I can get the rest of the studio up and running, then I could start dreaming of awesome tracks like that, my current attempts at my perfect mix have failed badly.... Whelp, back to the studio i go!

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Barge mate, that track is STUNNING! Top job there!
I've been mucking around with my copy of Music Creator 6 (about the same price as Reaper), so far I quite like it, now if I can get the rest of the studio up and running, then I could start dreaming of awesome tracks like that, my current attempts at my perfect mix have failed badly.... Whelp, back to the studio i go!

Cheers pest, hey you'll have to put up some of your stuff mate, I'd be real interested to see what you've been doing.

bargeloobs
18-02-2015, 09:14 PM
This is a continuation of the stem mix I was talking about earlier to hopefully demonstrate visually what's going on.
The screenshot is of the 'Blinded' stem mix (chorus), as you can see there's actually more going on here (track-wise) than the initial mix.

A breakdown of the tracks are as follows

Track 1 - A duplicate of the original Stereo drum mix, used as an ambient track (to emulate room mics) set pretty low in the mix with a thick room reverb and a few other goodies
Track 2 - Stereo drum mix
Track 3 - Kick drum duplicate for added punch and presence on the kick
Track 4 - Snare drum duplicate for added punch and presence on the snare
Track 5 - Toms duplicate for added punch and presence on the toms
Track 6 - Distorted Guitars
Track 7 - Bass Guitar
Track 8 - automation clip (flanger)
Track 9 - automation clip (filter)
Track 10 - Lead Vox
Track 11 - automation clip for lead vox volume envelope
Track 12,13,14 - Background vox
Track 15 - automation clip for lead vox stereo shaping
Track 16 - automation clip for background vox volume envelope

Once I'm happy with how things are sounding on this mix it gets bounced down to a single stereo track once again ready for final master.
Important point here is that the max peak on the output gain doesn't exceed more than -3db but preferably -6db so as to leave plenty of headroom for mastering.

keloooe
19-02-2015, 03:49 AM
So with stem mixing you treat all the guitars in the mix as one guitar and use that to mix with?

bargeloobs
19-02-2015, 04:15 AM
So with stem mixing you treat all the guitars in the mix as one guitar and use that to mix with?

You got it it man, all the panning, reverbs and everything you use to flavour the guitars was done back at the initial mix when we had individual control over everything.
With the stem mix I'm affecting all the guitars at once. The aim is not to alter the sound too much, after all you've got the sound you want at mixdown, the aim with the stems is just to clean the sound up and enhance it.

You can see in the pic the plugins I've used on the guitars (I named it 'Drumless mix') in the stem mix.

Ozone - was used purely for it's mid/side eq's to clean up any unwanted mid/side information (definitely my favorite plugin by far)
Bittersweet - was used to take out any rogue transients in the guitar mix
Ignore the 'Filter' and the 'Flanger', they were just automated to come in for a short section leading into the 2nd verse
Ferox - was used to give a subtle tape saturation to the guitar sound

keloooe
19-02-2015, 07:17 AM
Just checked out the free VST plugins, I reckon I'll permanently use Ferox, I always love that vintage echo and colour that tapes provide.

Oh and there wont be anything from me yet, once I get the interface I want I'll start punching out my mixes!

bargeloobs
19-02-2015, 07:26 AM
Just checked out the free VST plugins, I reckon I'll permanently use Ferox, I always love that vintage echo and colour that tapes provide.

Oh and there wont be anything from me yet, once I get the interface I want I'll start punching out my mixes!

You're using windows then?

keloooe
19-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Definitely Windows Bargey, too poor for a $200 interface let alone a Mac :D

Also Music Creator allows you to upload to SoundCloud within the program, which I'll find handy indeed.

bargeloobs
19-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Definitely Windows Bargey, too poor for a $200 interface let alone a Mac :D

Also Music Creator allows you to upload to SoundCloud within the program, which I'll find handy indeed.

Nothing wrong with working in Windows man, it gets the job done. Depending on how many tracks you're recording a basic two channel interfaces is surprisingly cheap, obviously if you're tracking a drum kit you're gonna need a few more ins, but for just recording one or two tracks at a time there's heaps of options out there at very reasonable prices.

This is what I'm running, I love it!! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M-Audio-M-Track-2-channel-USB-audio-MIDI-interface-/221663163563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item339c2774ab

keloooe
19-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Nothing wrong with working in Windows man, it gets the job done. Depending on how many tracks you're recording a basic two channel interfaces is surprisingly cheap, obviously if you're tracking a drum kit you're gonna need a few more ins, but for just recording one or two tracks at a time there's heaps of options out there at very reasonable prices.

This is what I'm running, I love it!! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M-Audio-M-Track-2-channel-USB-audio-MIDI-interface-/221663163563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item339c2774ab

Yeah cheers for the link Bargey, I'm only doing it one track at a time, just makes it easier to control the noise levels (from other instruments / ambiance) in each track.

robin
19-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Hey Bargey, another site I just found (not sure if it has already been mentioned), it doesn't have a squillion VSTs but they appear to be quality and well sorted into categories AND free.

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/

And you will be proud to know that because of you and Kimball I have started listening to the production behind the music. I haven't done that for many years. Well there goes whatever free time I had ;)

Cheers guys.

bargeloobs
19-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Hey Bargey, another site I just found (not sure if it has already been mentioned), it doesn't have a squillion VSTs but they appear to be quality and well sorted into categories AND free.

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/

And you will be proud to know that because of you and Kimball I have started listening to the production behind the music. I haven't done that for many years. Well there goes whatever free time I had ;)

Cheers guys.

Legend, I was literally just scanning the interwebs trying to find a good HF exciter, I might go see if there's anything on that site, good job;-)

robin
19-02-2015, 02:08 PM
I don't even know what an exciter does (although my imagination is currently running wild), a few here:

http://www.best-free-vst.com/plugins/effects/exciter-maximizer-enhancer-01.php

bargeloobs
19-02-2015, 02:42 PM
I don't even know what an exciter does (although my imagination is currently running wild), a few here:

http://www.best-free-vst.com/plugins/effects/exciter-maximizer-enhancer-01.php

I needed to boost the high end harmonic frequencies of a bass guitar to get it to cut in the mix and didn't have a decent exciter.
Found this and it works like a treat, definitely a keeper:-) (ThrillseekerXTC)

https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

keloooe
19-02-2015, 05:34 PM
There really are some really nice VST plugins that are free if you do some hunting, I'm already digging the stuff I have right now from the test recording I made with a crappy Guitar Hero mic!

kimball492
20-02-2015, 11:22 AM
http://logic-pro-expert.com Item at top is free percussion plugin Percussa a Toolbox

http://logic-pro-expert.com/logic-pro-blog/category/logic-pro-free-plugins Free plugins

If you also go here http://logic-pro-expert.com. Click categories at the top there's a list of free stuff i:e plugins tutorials books etc
Have fun

kimball492
20-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Heres some great plugins guys free too . I use them so much http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Bundle_FreewarePack/

Heres some fantastic Lexicon reverb Impulse Resonses ( lexicon was the most sought after reverb in any studio ) It applies magic dust on any track so they say lol

http://www.housecallfm.com/download-gns-personal-lexicon-480l
heres some reverbs that you can use with Space Designer in Logic or Anything that handles impulse responses
Inside you will find the following presets (exactly as they are in the machine – no editing) :

For Logic Pro 9 users:

1) Put Big Gee’s Lexicon 480L folder in :

~ / Library / Application Support / Logic / Impulse Responses

If you don’t yet have the Impulse Responses folder, create it (h/t Alex)

2) Put BG Lexicon 480L folder in :

~ / Library / Application Support / Logic / Plug-In Settings / Space Designer

Logic Pro X users (based on Eli Krantzberg’s suggestions, see the comment section below):

1) Put Big Gee’s Lexicon 480L folder in :

~ / Music / Audio Music Apps / Impulse Responses

If you don’t yet have the Impulse Responses folder, create it.

2) Put BG Lexicon 480L folder in :

~ / Music / Audio Music Apps / Plug-In Settings / Space Designer

Here List Of Presets Contained

Ambience – Gated Ambience
Ambience – Large Ambience
Ambience – Medium Ambience
Ambience – Small Ambience
Ambience – Strong Ambience
Ambience – Very Large Ambience
Effects – BackSlap
Effects – Doubler
Effects – Get It Wet
Effects – In The Past
Effects – Rebound
Effects – Sudden Stop
Effects – Surfin
Effects – Tremelo L to R
Effects – Vox Whispers
Halls – Auto Park
Halls – Jazz Hall
Halls – Large Church
Halls – Large Hall
Halls – Large Plate
Halls – Large+Stage
Halls – Medium Hall
Halls – Medium+Stage
Halls – Small Church
Halls – Small Hall
Halls – Small+Stage
Plates – A Plate
Plates – Fat Plate
Plates – Small Plate
Plates – Snare Plate
Plates – Thin Plate
Rich Plates – Drum Plate
Rich Plates – Echo Plate
Rich Plates – Guitar Plate
Rich Plates – Horn Plate
Rich Plates – Large Plate
Rich Plates – Short Plate
Rich Plates – Silver Plate
Rich Plates – Slap Plate
Rich Plates – Vocal Plate
Rich Plates – Vox Plate No.2
Rooms – Large Room
Rooms – Music Club
Rooms – Small & Bright
Wild Spaces – 1ow-40
Wild Spaces – 2ow-50
Wild Spaces – Big Bottom
Wild Spaces – Brick Wall
Wild Spaces – Buck Ram
Wild Spaces – Inside Out
Wild Spaces – Metallica
Wild Spaces – Ricochet
Wild Spaces – Sillica Beads
Wild Spaces – Varoom

Use them wisely and your productions will start to sound a lot more expensive ;)

These are a different Reverb Units IR files put in same locations as the above
Briscati M7 Impulse responses to use with Logics Space Designer
http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-impulse-responses/Bricasti M7 Impulse Responses Download

The acousticas.net version, which is still served here even though the company ceased to exist a couple of months back. Installation instructions are included. The samplicity.com version, which is here, is supposed to be closer to the real thing.

These downloads include the impulses only, without the Space Designer presets, so you’ll have to manually load the impulses, which quickly becomes kind of a drag. You could load them one by one while saving them as a preset but …there’s an app for that! Check out Space Designer Manager in the App Store (29 Euros) or on their website. I just bought it, it works like a charm.

kimball492
21-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Hi Guys , here a free Stereo Expander Plugin in AU , VST, AAX,RTAS FORMATS

http://a1audio.de/index.php/downloads

bargeloobs
22-02-2015, 02:19 AM
Hi Guys , here a free Stereo Expander Plugin in AU , VST, AAX,RTAS FORMATS

http://a1audio.de/index.php/downloads

haha already got that one and it's awesome, I've used it on my last 2 tracks now and it's perfect for really stretching the mix out nice and wide. It's got a "safe bass" feature which is cool too, as stereo imaging can sometimes cause unwanted anomalies in the bottom end.

kimball492
23-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Here's some great free plugins one allows you to check your mix in mono Panipulator does just that . Barge have you tried doing your mix in mono ref levels makes a big difference to final mix give it a go . Bark of the dog is a shot at UADs Voice Of God a really expensive program that just increases the bass without the extra stuff http://www.bozdigitallabs.com just add to cart you'll see the invoice reads $0.00 no credit card payment needed

kimball492
23-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Best Advice I can give you Guys .is look for these as plugins A compressor or two , An Eq or two , a reverb , a delay . Most DAWS software comes with these .And some are better than the commercially expensive ones learn them one at a time know how to use them . Always listen to the tracks your working on through an MP3 player /iPhone ipod headphones .listen to how it sounds on your home stereo if it sounds great that's good but if it's too bassy or trebly .write some notes down ,then go back and make those changes to your mix in the daw software .

DrNomis_44
23-02-2015, 08:26 PM
If anyone's after a free tape delay VST plugin, try googling Watkat VST, I'm using it in FL Studio and it works great, also, if you're after a free Stereo Enhancer VST plugin then google Upstereo VST.

kimball492
23-02-2015, 08:35 PM
I Realise this isn't a free plugin but they have an offer on it currently $29.00 instead of $200.00 it's a plug in by Waves a company who makes plugins for working studios.http://www.waves.com/plugins/kramer-pie-compressor?utm_source=Pro-Tools-Expert&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=PTE-Kramer-PIE-1DaySale-Post. It's called Kramer Pie here's info .
Pro Tools tips, tricks, support and news for users of Pro Tools. Free Pro Tools video tutorials and free Pro Tools plug-ins. We support both the music and post production community.

We offer advice for users of all versions of Pro Tools both current and legacy formats. We’re independent and are not affiliated with Avid or their associated companies.

WAVES OFFER 1 DAY SPECIAL ON KRAMER PIE COMPRESSOR FOR JUST $29

For the next 24 hours you can go over to Waves and get their Kramer PIE Compressor for just $29 instead of the normal price of $200.

What Waves Say About The Kramer PIE Compressor
Developed in association with legendary producer/engineer Eddie Kramer, the PIE Compressor was precision-modeled on a vintage Pye compressor like the ones he used in historic sessions at London’s acclaimed Olympic Studios. A mainstay in esteemed British studios throughout the classic rock era, the original Pye processors are considered by many to be among of the best buss compressors of all time. The Waves PIE plugin features a meticulously modeled VU meter with superfast refresh rates that recreates the accuracy, sensitivity, and ballistic behavior of a physical analog meter.

Modeled compressor plugin
Based on a rare ’60s vintage Pye compressor
Compression and limiting modes
Auto-makeup gain
Developed in association with legendary producer / engineer Eddie Kramer
As used in London’s famed Olympic Studios
If this interests you, check out the review here http://youtu.be/RItUkq0E4jg

bargeloobs
24-02-2015, 01:29 AM
Here's some great free plugins one allows you to check your mix in mono Panipulator does just that . Barge have you tried doing your mix in mono ref levels makes a big difference to final mix give it a go . Bark of the dog is a shot at UADs Voice Of God a really expensive program that just increases the bass without the extra stuff http://www.bozdigitallabs.com just add to cart you'll see the invoice reads $0.00 no credit card payment needed

Yep I've got Panipulator, it's a really handy little utility. That "Bark of Dog" has me intrigued though, I'm grabbing a copy as we speak. Cheers Kimball:-)

bargeloobs
24-02-2015, 01:58 PM
I gave the "Bark of Dog" vst plugin a trial run today and was highly impressed. Here's a little sound clip of the results I achieved. First clip without, second clip with.
It adds nice depth to the bottom end without getting boomy and over saturated, especially noticeable on the the kick drum.
Pic shows settings I used.

https://soundcloud.com/sodacupkiller/bark-of-dog-sample/s-qMxKY

vh2580
24-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Seemed to add depth to the vocal a bit too ( could just be me heaing things)
Love that guitar tone.

bargeloobs
24-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Seemed to add depth to the vocal a bit too ( could just be me heaing things)
Love that guitar tone.

Nah I think you're right, it's just picking up a smidge of the vocal before the high pass filter comes in.
That's that SD Invader in the Bladecatcher for ya, jeez I love that pickup, it's just so detailed, especially with a nice distortion.

kimball492
26-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Great Free Plugin http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=satknob
http://youtu.be/251yMm3hOD0
http://youtu.be/_ALJpZpHWKo

kimball492
26-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Yeah Bark of the dog is a handy free plugin great on bass drums vocals guitars toms and bass guitar it has uses too

kimball492
28-02-2015, 01:04 AM
Here's another Free plugin
https://goodhertz.co/faraday-lim

kimball492
28-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Free Plugins from Native Instruments
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/free/

There another plugin they've just released called Polyplex it isn't a free plugin but great idea http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/drums/polyplex/tutorial-video/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Polyplex+Reminder+Komplete&utm_source=newsletter

Waves weekend deals http://www.waves.com/?utm_source=wnletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekend-deals

kimball492
19-03-2015, 08:05 AM
Here's a handy free plugin .great if your harmonies need help or just double tracked vocal sound. Can also do that Awful Kanye West Autotuned vocal if you need it . Here's demo video and link to download just create an account n go get it .

http://youtu.be/yt8pFK6fJk4

https://www.soundtoys.com/sxsw2015/&rc=236-7257-706

P.s you will need an Ilok

kimball492
31-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Some free plugns http://audio-assault.com/downloads.html

DrNomis_44
31-03-2015, 09:53 PM
Here's a website to check out for some free stuff, the guy who owns it is in the process of closing it down but he's leaving the stuff on this page for those interested in downloading it, not sure how long the stuff is going to be available for though:

http://www.tobybear.de/files.html

Here's another interesting website:

http://www.vst4free.com/

Nickosaurus
22-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Here's an amazing drum sampler/impulse set for use in REAPER

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/11/27/deepest-sampled-drum-kit/

just amazing

kimball492
27-05-2015, 01:27 AM
Loads of tutorials and lessons for reaper Logic Pro Tools Pretty Much Everything
There's even a couple of Guitar Maintainence Tutorials Videos

Heres 14 days Free Acess To Groove3 Tutorial Videos.
Click link

https://www.groove3.com/str/redeem_code.php
Enter this redeem code and enjoy Ua0515