GeneralKaos
14-02-2015, 07:07 PM
And old, too...

GeneralKaos
14-02-2015, 07:09 PM
but we have fun

kimball492
15-02-2015, 02:01 AM
Hey General Kaos It matters not what you use to record just use it and enjoy it .You can still use your analogue gear with it too.I do theres something about tape it's amazing .The years taken to get rid of hiss and wow n flutter . Now there are plugins that now create those very tape machine effects
I still love my Neve and Pultec mic pres ,and use them for guitars and vocals then plug into into my recording interface great for bass guitars n vocal tracks .
http://youtu.be/JHf2e9pkKwM

http://youtu.be/9DLcZgsacRg

bargeloobs
15-02-2015, 03:05 AM
but we have fun

Nice setup man, where abouts are you based? I've been looking round for someone with some ADAT tape machines. I've got a heap of old demos we recorded back in the 90's on ADAT that I would love to digitize and remix.
Some were recorded in 8-track and others were 16 track (synced machines.)
There's something to be said for the tactile nature of tape and the inherent quality of the audio, but for me, most of my experiences when learning to record and mix on tape were less than memorable.
Started out on a Fostex 260 then moved up to a Tascam 488. They both served their purpose and taught me the fundamentals of recording, multi-tracking and mixing but that's about it. I remember every take you lay down the tape would stretch and you'd drop a few cents in pitch, so were having to constantly adjust the tape speed to keep everything in the right key which meant by the end of it your song was a few bpm quicker than it started out. Probably not so much of an issue with reel to reel or ADAT but those 1/4 inch machines were hellish.
First intro into digital was a Boss BR1600 and it blew my mind, after that was a Korg D3200 and now it's straight into the PC via M-Audio interface.
As Kimball said, there's tape plugins now that do a fairly convincing job of emulation so there's really no need to put up with all the headaches.
Thank God for the digital age.

stan
15-02-2015, 05:29 AM
cool studio setup Kaos!

GeneralKaos
08-03-2015, 09:44 PM
thanks!!2163

GeneralKaos
08-03-2015, 09:46 PM
....... 2164

stan
09-03-2015, 04:59 PM
we need a closer look at some of that gear, and names and specs too!

keloooe
09-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Kaos, that is a sweet setup going on! Personally I like the warm colouring that tape adds to the mix, listen to the solo stuff Slash is putting out, subtle but really makes it stand out from the rest!

GeneralKaos
15-03-2015, 03:59 AM
we need a closer look at some of that gear, and names and specs too!

What would you like to know?