-Sand
-Prime more if needed
-Sand more if needed
-Colour coat and sand until finish is nice and even all over
-Repeat until at least 800 grit sanding
-Clear coat
-Repeat coat and sanding until at least 1000 grit
-Buff to gloss finish

I have no idea what grit I need to work up to before priming, painting and clear coat. I was told that I have to progressively go higher in grit

wokkaboy
12-02-2015, 01:27 PM
welcome Mr Foster,
what kit are you building and are you planning spray cans ?
Generally a solid paint build you won't have to go past about 320 grit initially.
I recommend you grain fill with something like timbermate before the primer coat. This will eliminate and fill the small gaps in the timber surface.
Start a build diary and post some photos of your progress and the forum will help you as you progress

MrFoster
12-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Not sure as of yet but an EXA-1 is tempting. If I go with that one the grain filler would be necessary, right?
So up to 320 grit for clear coat?

Also: Do the kits have the bridge ground holes pre-drilled or is the factory unable to do that?

wokkaboy
12-02-2015, 02:01 PM
Hey Mr Foster,
all the types of timber offered in the kit range will need a grain filler if going solid paint finish.
I'd say sand to about 320 grit first up. Then grain fill and sand to about 400 grit, then primer it one or 2 coats, wet sand to at least 400 grit, then colour coats. Work up the grits between colour coats.
Then when doing clear coats, depending how thick they are and how many runs I'd go up to about 1500 or even 2000 grit for the final clear coat.
Then cure for at least a week then polish/buff.
No point buying a nice ash grain kit if it's going to be covered in paint. Go for a cheaper basswood kit.
This is only a very rough guide Mr Foster, there are so many variables such as temperature, humidity, quality of the paint, whether you are using a spray booth, how thick you apply the paint, whether you got any runs in the paint or orange peel effect.

MrFoster
12-02-2015, 02:12 PM
No point buying a nice ash grain kit if it's going to be covered in paint. Go for a cheaper basswood kit.

You have a pretty good point there, I'll do that. Which gives me an opportunity to email someone to see if I can get the kit without any hardware seems I want to do some upgrades.

I'm guessing the smoother the sand on the final coat the better? Because every Thursday and Sunday I have all day for sanding
Oh how fun it will be!

wokkaboy
12-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Mr Foster yes you can order a large selection of kits just neck and body only, but the website doesn't give that option for the EX-1 kits so send Adam an email to see if he can sell you neck and body only --> adamboyle at pitbullguitars dot com
The website is saying the EX-1 is out of stock but they are expecting a full container of kits first week of March so give you time to work out your upgrades and paint.
Warning building guitars is very addictive ! much more than alcohol and ciggies haha

stan
12-02-2015, 02:34 PM
welcome MrF, dont forget to do a build diary

MrFoster
12-02-2015, 06:42 PM
@Wokka
And funnily enough I just realized that a solid colour might not be the best idea for my first kit so I ordered an STA-1 kit (As you can tell I'm a little keen on Ash) along with some Dingotone Tarkine Green. I watched the Dingotone how-to on Youtube and it seems to be a much better choice at this point.
If the addiction gets bad enough I'll just sell off some kits...maybe :rolleyes:

@Stan
For sure! Build diaries are always great fun to go through.

stan
13-02-2015, 04:27 AM
Dingotone seems like a great product, be sure to give it plenty of curing time