PDA

View Full Version : Another from Brisbane.

Jeff
11-02-2015, 02:55 PM
I've been lurking on your forum for almost a year now, admiring all the clever folks that build their own guitars. As a complete novice and not able to play any instrument, I thought I would try and build my own as a bit of a hobby as I'm now retired, and try to make it as presentable as possible. Boy what a job I set myself. My partner bought me a ES335 Kit from I don't where, for Christmas.
We are in the second month and I'm still trying to get the top/bottom surface of the body to my satisfaction. Almost there; polish the front tomorrow. Neck is done with maple stain, and headstock front face in a jarrah stain. Back also in maple stain, and the front with the natural flame.
Wiring partly done outside of body, yet to be completed; (Liked the hints to pulling through the F holes with the plastic tube. Hope it works that easy when I try to do it).
I've sanded so much that its a wonder there is any wood left.
The bug has bitten. Even with this one a long way from being finished, I'm looking at my next build, possibly a Les Paul Jnr. double cut.
Well, sorry for the ramblings of a retiree, but thought I would say hello to you all and not feel to bad when I ask for advice from the learned here.
Thanks for the info so-far........Jeff

wokkaboy
11-02-2015, 03:14 PM
welcome Jeff, wow almost a year you have read the forum but not registered.
What a kit to start with ES !
Would love to see pics and start a build diary. Sounds like its coming along nicely.
Ask as many questions as you like in the build diary

Jeff
11-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Wokka, (doesn't any-one on this forum have real names?) from an old fart. Yes its a bit of a challenge, but then again I'm a bit pedantic on what I like. Maybe my skills don't allow me to reach the standards of some of the builders on here, but it gives me a bit of an escape, after caring for a partner. Always wanted to play, never did it, love music, and envy those that can make music.
Don't know about a build diary, but I will submit info and pics when I can..........Jeff:)

robin
11-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Hi Jeff, another Brisbanite here. Glad you dropped in.

Mate, none of us knew anything about building guitars until our first build. And then the bug bites. Its a great way to relax and unwind.
Like you I am a retiree and until a few years ago was a full-time carer for my beloved Lyn. So I can tell you from first hand experience that just losing yourself in the build is good therapy.

As Warren (Woks) said, ask as many question as you need, I am sure that someone here will have an answer for you.

Enjoy the journey,

rob

Brendan
11-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Jeff,
Welcome along - hey everyone has to start somewhere - my instrument building pedigree involved my dad having a screwdriver and I think a drill and maybe a hammer somewhere - ie., not much by way of woodwork happened in my house until I got the BAS bug ~ 18 months ago... Since then have learned heaps and am loving the process.

Fretworn
12-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Welcome Jeff. It's unfortunate that your parents couldn't spell your name properly ;) but at least it will differentiate between us.

Jeff
12-02-2015, 12:41 PM
Fretworn doesn't sound or even look like Jeff. Suppose we could argue all day about this one.:D:D:D

stan
12-02-2015, 02:37 PM
welcome Jeff, looking forward to some pics!

pablopepper
12-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Hi Jeff, welcome along. :)

DanMade
12-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Hey Jeff. Sounds like your first build has been fun.
Welcome.

Jeff
13-02-2015, 03:21 AM
Thanks every one for the welcome.
Thought i had the body finished yesterday, but tried to touch up a small run on the back; ended up stripping the back again. Never- ending sanding. Determined to get there.

Fretworn
13-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Fretworn doesn't sound or even look like Jeff. Suppose we could argue all day about this one.:D:D:D

You can tell I'm still scarred by all the times people spelt my name wrong when I was a child.