PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Perth

perthstocky
09-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Hi guys im just starting to learn guitar and i am keen to build a couple of pitbull kits.
I am a marine spraypainter so the finish on the guitars is no problem just a bit weary of my skill level of building a guitar ang getting it to actualy work..lol.The guitar i have always wanted is the SG style double neck.

Brendan
09-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Welcome along Stocky. Getting the guitar to work fine is not too hard - I last did woodwork 25+ years ago and I've been able to get a couple up and running. Start a build diary, work through the instructions (http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1895) and take (and post) lots of photos. If you find yourself stuck, unsure or rushing, stop, go get a beverage of choice, post on the forum and wait a little bit. Will save a whole lot of pain redoing stuff later on.

perthstocky
09-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the advice Brendan i will definately do a build diary and take my time with it.I will give the double neck a go.
Will purchase in next couple of weeks.

wokkaboy
09-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Hi Stocky welcome to the forum. If you haven't done much wiring of guitars I suggest maybe a single neck guitar to start with. The double neck SG is probably the most complicated kit to wire up

Rob L
09-02-2015, 10:13 PM
Hi Stocky!
I haven't built a PB guitar yet but have built many in the past. you've picked a great forum to be part off. No arrogance here at all. Everyone is more than willing to help.
Good luck on your first build and fun with it! :)

Fretworn
10-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Welcome Stocky!

perthstocky
10-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys..Wokka i will definately do a single neck guitar first.I have a marine electrician at work who is keen to do the wiring for me,hopfully he will sort it out.

wokkaboy
10-02-2015, 03:50 PM
no worries Stocky, I'm not trying to discourage you from building a twin neck SG, I built one a while ago before there were proper wiring diagrams and there are so many different ways to channel the wiring it becomes like a bowl of spaghetti very quickly !
I still haven't got the wiring working 100% its been on the back burner for a long time. Think I got a hot wire touching copper shielding. Now I've learnt alot more about wiring since that build I'll get around to wiring it up some day.
If you have help from an electrician at work sure he could figure it out.
A G type kit generally has about 30 solder joins so thats enough to start on. No idea how many in the double neck SG, around 40 I'd guess and they all have to work !

perthstocky
10-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Appreciate the feedback mate thanks..i have always wanted the twin neck SG.Hopfully sparky will work the first one we do ok.
Might try an STA-1 kit as first attempt

adam
10-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Hey perthstocky, just caught this thread and saw you had your eye on the SGD-612 (double neck SG style kit). I just wanted to say that I have one of these kits left in stock. When that one goes I am going to mark that kit as a "custom order" kit. That is, we don't sell enough of them to keep them in stock, so they'll be available as a custom order, with a 6-12 week delivery.

This is not a sales pitch, I just want you to know there is one available now. Once that one goes, it will only be available by custom order (and the price will be more as the Aussie dollar continues to fall against the USD).

KurtSlash123
10-02-2015, 05:02 PM
welcome along stocky, im not trying to discourage you away from what woks is saying becasue he more than likely would know better than me haha. but i did an SG twin neck as my first ever DIY guitar and ill admit im still having trouble on the 12 string sides wiring , but she runs though. probably wouldnt be a bad idea to do a simple guitarr build to begin with though :P

perthstocky
10-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Thanks KurtSlash i will just take my time with it not rush anything on it.Ok Adam thanks i better order that one first but it wont be till next thursday though..hopefully no one wants it more than i do :)

gavinturner
11-02-2015, 01:05 AM
Welcome Stocky. Hope to read about your initial build and the double SG. Believe me you will be on to your 10th build in no time!

cheers,
Gav.

perthstocky
11-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Thanks Gav..Being a spraypainter i have a lot of guitar ideas so 10 builds could happen :)

wokkaboy
11-02-2015, 01:32 PM
where in Perth are you located Stocky ? I wouldn't mind getting some future builds professionally spray painted

perthstocky
11-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Im in safety bay mate..we could do a trade off with some help on the double neck..lol