PDA

View Full Version : Issues:-(

bargeloobs
07-02-2015, 12:03 PM
I'd noticed after my 3rd coat that I was getting a fair bit of crap in the finish (little lumps) and I put in down to me not cleaning out jar lid properly and picking up dried bits of DT.
Steel wooled back, which knocked the lumps off but took a lot of the colour with it in the process.
Layed down another coat, let dry, only to discover more shit in the finish and put it down to crap flying round the workshop as I'd been doing other stuff at the time.
Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of the lumps in the stain as I thought I knew the problem an sanded everything back ready to try again.
Top was sanded back, prepped ready to try again, shook up what was left of the DT, that's when I realized where all the shit on the body had been coming from all along.
Thoughts?

stan
07-02-2015, 12:56 PM
looks like it partially dried out, get onto DB...

dingobass
07-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Bugga!

Looks like it dried out on ya Bargie.... Flick me an email with your address and I will send you out a replacement.

Did you happen to leave the lid off whist applying? I did that once thinking it would be ok.. but.... Ended up with floaties just like what you experienced... Trick is to shake the begeezus out of the bottle, pour out a glug or two then slam the cap back on (after wiping the lid and bottle neck.. Note to self. DB add this wisdom to the instruction sheet you numpty)

bargeloobs
07-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Bugga!

Looks like it dried out on ya Bargie.... Flick me an email with your address and I will send you out a replacement.

Did you happen to leave the lid off whist applying? I did that once thinking it would be ok.. but.... Ended up with floaties just like what you experienced... Trick is to shake the begeezus out of the bottle, pour out a glug or two then slam the cap back on (after wiping the lid and bottle neck.. Note to self. DB add this wisdom to the instruction sheet you numpty)

I poured it into a lid (as per the instructions) so hopefully I put the lid back on as soon as I tipped it out but who can say. I certainly can't remember coming out to the workshop and finding that I'd left the lid off.
No worries at all DB, these things happen man. I'll flick ya an email.

Cheers mate.

wokkaboy
07-02-2015, 03:41 PM
bummer Barge, bit more of a delay with the build.
good tips covering the bottle and shaking the hell out of the bottle before pouring into a container

bargeloobs
07-02-2015, 03:47 PM
bummer Barge, bit more of a delay with the build.
good tips covering the bottle and shaking the hell out of the bottle before pouring into a container

Yep, good tips...

fatmunkey
26-02-2015, 03:30 PM
exact same thing has happened to me on the tl-1, and it was because I was leaving the cap off :(

wokkaboy
26-02-2015, 03:44 PM
glad everyone that reads this thread knows to replace the DT caps as soon as you poured a bit into a container !

ccs
15-03-2015, 07:22 AM
I replaced my lids mmediately after pouring but still had this problem. I tried fixing as I went with each coat, but it seemed to somehow reoccur while applying even though I couldnt see any lumps. Once I got the top coats done it as looking aweful. The colour is great, but I have pitting and gloss/matt finish variations throughout. I'm sanding it all back now and trying to decide whether to get some more dingotone and start from scratch or use something else. Not sure what I have done wrong.

dingobass
15-03-2015, 08:05 AM
Hi ccs,

Sorry to hear you had problems :(
What colour did you get?
If you can flick me an email at dingobass@pitbullguitars briefly describing the problems and also the temperature when applying the DT top coats I would appreciate it.
The more info you can provide will enable me to furthur improve on DT.
also, I am more than happy to replace the kit if you want, free of charge.

ccs
17-03-2015, 07:56 AM
Thanks, I will send you an email.