PDA

View Full Version : RC-4 Bass Kit Questions

Alex
04-02-2015, 08:59 PM
New poster here, I hope this hasn't been flogged to death already, but the Search function was not working for me, some glitch with registration. On to the question:

1. Can I legally buy an RC-4 kit and have it shipped to the U.S.A.? There is a lot of overheated debate and gnashing of teeth among the U.S. Rick fanatical fringe about how this is illegal due to copyright infringement, moral turpitude, etc. I have read that Rickenbacker did not renew it's copyright in Australia, so the RC-4 kits are exempt, but don't know if that's true. I don't want to buy a kit and have it seized by U.S. Customs if they consider it counterfeit or some such nonsense.

2. Can I buy the kit without the hardware? I'd like to make my own Rick Bass clone using a Hipshot bridge and tuners, Classic Amplification pups, etc. If so, can I get just the body/neck assembly in unfinished state for less?

3. Anybody currently building one? They have been backordered for a couple months, are these actually shipping to anyone?

wokkaboy
04-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Hey Alex, welcome to the forum. I'm not sure about the legaillity of the shape in USA, PBG certainly ship them to USA but I'm not aware of anyone building one in US.
Send Adam an email about a body and neck only kit, sure he will reduce the full price. Send to adamboyle at pitbullguitars dot com
Don't think there's any current RC-4 builds as they have been on back order for a while but check out Pablo's http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2846
and Lunaticthighs RC-4 build http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2873
Lunaticthighs build was voted best bass build of 2014 !
Best of luck

Alex
04-02-2015, 10:40 PM
Wokkaboy,
Thanks for the reply. I think there will be a run on the RC-4 kits when they are re-stocked, lots of pent up demand for something of better quality then the sketchy kits available through Aliexpress, Tradetang, etc. You would simply not believe how nasty and irrational some of the Cult of Rickenbacker types get about Rick bass copies. It's almost impossible to discuss this rationally on Talkbass, for instance, without the Trolls descending. Thanks for the link, I'll check out the build you reference.

Alex
05-02-2015, 03:04 AM
I checked out Pablo and Lunaticthighs builds, looks pretty nice. The bending of the bottom of the neck pocket under load spooked me a little. Is two RC-4 builds the total so far? I'm curious if anyone else has had similar problems with the neck pocket.

pablopepper
05-02-2015, 05:48 AM
I've had no problems regarding the neck pocket, but after seeing LT's I was extra thorough and almost ready for it. 3 or so months of being strung up and no bellying or warping.

You won't have any trouble with customs as this isn't a counterfeit, its a kit with no branding. What they are looking out for is guitars labeled as Gibsons etc.

This is a great kit, I highly recommend it, but realise it will need a few tweaks to be a great player.

Brendan
05-02-2015, 06:47 PM
I've got one under the bed - keen to get into it, but have a few others to finish before I get there - (now if I didn't forget parts at the Gavmeister's place :( ).

Alex
07-02-2015, 12:36 AM
I've had no problems regarding the neck pocket, but after seeing LT's I was extra thorough and almost ready for it. 3 or so months of being strung up and no bellying or warping.

You won't have any trouble with customs as this isn't a counterfeit, its a kit with no branding. What they are looking out for is guitars labeled as Gibsons etc.

This is a great kit, I highly recommend it, but realise it will need a few tweaks to be a great player.
Pablo,
I know the fingerboard above body height is critical to playability, referenced to a specific bridge height. Using a stock Rickenbacker bridge would seem to require a fingerboard height just shy of 1/2" above body at the center of the fingerboard. I assume you didn't have to do any shimming or neck angle with the stock bridge provided with the kit? I'm also wondering if a set of dowels drilled into the heel end of the neck beam and into body below the neck pickup would stiffen up the whole assembly. Stock Rick basses have a huge "bathtub" of wood routed out for the neck pickup that weaken the neck through joint considerably.

pablopepper
07-02-2015, 08:44 PM
Hi Alex, I used a Kahler bridge so I had to shim the neck. I would assume using the stock bridge would not need it, but a ric bridge would to account for the height.

As these kits aren't a true replica, I wouldn't assume any measurements. Just a matter of getting all the bits you are going to use and testing it out until you get it to fit right. Don't glue until you are sure.

Sam Ray
06-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and to any sort of instrument build in general. I was hoping to get one of the basswood RC-4s for my first build, however I have an aversion to set neck basses. Would it be ok to convert it to a bolt-on and screw the neck and body together rather than glue it on? Thank you

Fretworn
06-04-2015, 01:51 PM
My guess is that there won't be enough wood to make a strong joint, but I will defer to whatever DB says on this one.

dingobass
06-04-2015, 02:59 PM
I agree with Fretty, not enough meat to bolt the neck...
The thing with set necks is you will get much better sustain than a bolt on.

Sam Ray
07-04-2015, 10:33 AM
The only thing for me with that is that I've never had a problem with the sustain of any bolt-on bass made of wood that I've tried. And at least if anything happens to a bolt-on neck I could always just replace it. Thanks for the info. Now I just have to get around to picking a colour and buying the kit :D

Brendan
08-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Hey Sam - agree wholeheartedly with DB here - you're not getting much for the screws to hold onto on the back of the body if you were looking to bolt on. You could possibly mod yourself, but it's way out of my league in how to do it - that and you'd have to really understand your stuff to do so (remember the amount of tension in bass strings is HUGE). Set necks can be replaced - use the right glue and you can generally get them off with not too much hassle (i.e., some come off with steaming / heat). If the worst was to happen (i.e., you drop it and crack the neck), drop a line on the forum and there should be some help here - the plan is that forum's here for the life of the guitar, not just during the build :).

As for colour - my approach is driven by the guitar - see what the grain, etc is like and then drift with that.

Sam Ray
09-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Ok thanks Brendan. I'm pretty sure I take care of my stuff well enough for anything happening to be accidental. And you're right, if something happens there's tons of places to get help from.