PDA

View Full Version : March 2015 Guitar of the Month Competition

adam
04-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Enter your finished guitar here to be judged for Pit Bull Guitars March 2015 Guitar of the Month.

Remember:

One guitar per member per month (if we have more than 6 entries)
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)

We need 4 photos:

full guitar shot from the front;
close up of the body finish;
shot of the back of the guitar; and
close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Post your photos in this thread.

Competition for March closes 28 February 2015

Winner will be judged by the Pit Bull Guitars Judging Panel, including the winner of the February GOTM.

andrewdosborne
09-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Lets get the ball rolling for March GOTM.

Finally got this finished.. plays like a dream and happy with the result. Not 100% perfect but more than happy with this. Importantly I learned heaps, and thankfully recovered from a few mistakes along the way....

Once I've fine tuned the intonation I'll upload some sound demos. Pups - Tonerider 'Rocksong' with chrome brackets, Kluson tuners, orange drop caps, Bourns 500K mini pots, PBG bone nut upgrade (highly recommend!), Epiphone truss-rod cover, Realparts switch upgrade and some LP speed knobs I had laying around.

Finish - Cherry Red Colortone mixed with a bit of black (body/neck), Black Colortone to pop the flame, black FW stain (headstock) all with a nice layering of Tru Oil.

andrewdosborne
09-02-2015, 03:48 PM
And the rest of the pics... This kit comes highly recommended, my most enjoyable so far!

wokkaboy
09-02-2015, 04:04 PM
wow that looks stunning Andrew,
nice entry to start the month ! well done

stan
09-02-2015, 04:45 PM
great to see this up Andrew, a great contender

gavinturner
09-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Another fantastic build Andrew. The flame has been popped very nicely indeed and the final finish shows it off beautifully. Keen to hear those rock songs in full flight!

cheers,
Gav.

Scott J.
09-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Looks super sweet Andrew ... an axe worthy of Angus or Tommi! :cool:

Rob L
09-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Very nice Andrew! Love that color.

vh2580
10-02-2015, 04:07 AM
Beautiful color Andrew and fantastically finished.

andrewdosborne
10-02-2015, 05:09 AM
Thanks for all your kind comments.

The finish on the flame ended up being a bit tricky on this, where the tru oil could be wiped thinly with a rag over rest of guitar to build up the finish it only worked when rubbed in vigorously and very thinly on the veneer ( taking many layers to build up..). Must have been something to do with the levelling on the veneer?

pablopepper
10-02-2015, 05:22 AM
One of the nicest sg's going, Andrew. Beautiful.

jarrod
10-02-2015, 10:28 PM
Wow Andrew I'm impressed , that's a sexy looking SG Bro

bargeloobs
10-02-2015, 11:35 PM
Real nice job Andrew, you've set a high bar.

Shoota
13-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Here is my first build. And let me start by saying I have learned a lot. Mostly what not to do. I promised my 6 year old a rocking pink guitar. And eventually she got one. It needs some adjustments still but wokka took it round the block and it sounds ok.

If the pics aren't up to scratch let me know.

andrewdosborne
13-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Shoota, turned out great nice finish and graphics. Nice job. Your daughter must love it.

wokkaboy
13-02-2015, 01:30 PM
nice one Craig, I saw this build lastnight and he's done an excellent job, the paint job is a difficult one and its come up looking good. Gave it a quick fret level and setup and when the neck's been played in a bit can help with a better setup.
The photos look fine and in the flesh the pink really jumps out at you. You could probably find this axe in a dark room !

stan
13-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Shoota: there is something very appealing about the build, very cool!

dave.king1
13-02-2015, 06:57 PM
That is seriously cool. I have a rather short scale neck that I'm thinking about putting on a 3/4 size Tele body for the grandkids to stuff around with and hopefully learn on.

Shoota
13-02-2015, 10:19 PM
I have downloaded an app on iPad/iPhone which is quite good. It's called guitar bots. It's like rocksmith for PlayStation.

Rob L
13-02-2015, 11:44 PM
Shoota that turned out so freaking cool!!!

vh2580
14-02-2015, 06:12 AM
Shoota fantastic looking guitar the paint job looks great , and the raked tuners are a nice touch

adam
15-02-2015, 03:59 PM
The photos are great Shoota and I really dig the Hello Kitty Skull n Cross Bones.

Shoota
16-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys. It's been a lot of fun building it. Now what to build next?

Shoota
18-02-2015, 10:46 PM
And the final touch.

gavinturner
26-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Ok, I'll throw my hat in the ring.
Wudtone Butterscotch LP Jnr. Satin finish.
Custom tortoiseshell pickguard, truss rod cover and control cover.
New output jack and plate, orange drop cap & CTS pots.
New bone nut filed by yours truly.

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
26-02-2015, 06:17 PM
more photos..

andrewdosborne
26-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Gav, love it. This LP Jnr is top notch, excellent job.

gavinturner
27-02-2015, 03:30 AM
Thanks Andrew!

cheers,
Gav.

Shoota
27-02-2015, 06:47 AM
M.... Mi....Min.... Minim...... Very clean

dingobass
27-02-2015, 07:13 AM
The photos are great Shoota and I really dig the Hello Kitty Skull n Cross Bones.

Wot Adam said!

This is one of the most imaginative finishes I have seen on a PBG Strat, absolutley freaking amazing and perfect for a young girl.
I am sure she will treasure this Guitar!

Rob L
27-02-2015, 07:19 AM
more photos..

The only Gibson I like and you nailed it Gav! What a beauty!

vh2580
27-02-2015, 07:33 AM
Gav as per usual very classy looking guitar. Your finishes are flawless

wokkaboy
27-02-2015, 07:50 AM
excellent finish on the junior Gav, like the custom touches of the covers and pickguard, simple axes but they look very cool. Well done a very strong contender for sure

stan
27-02-2015, 08:34 AM
very, very nice Gav (but you should be good at these... lol)

wokkaboy
28-02-2015, 01:26 PM
G'day all, this is my entry just snuck in the last day, it's a LP-1SS. Cap and headstock are done in Dingotone Karijini Red and back/sides done in FW jarrah stain. Cleared it with about 8 coats of naughty oil.
I've included some sunny and shade photos as it's quite a dark axe and a little hard to see in the shade.
Most the kit is stock. Upgrades are:
G type truss rod cover, 4D vinyl logo, orange drop caps, bourns pots and a bone nut.

wokkaboy
28-02-2015, 01:29 PM
here's some more close up photos

Shoota
28-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Love the black hardware.

wokkaboy
28-02-2015, 01:32 PM
headstock and back pics

bargeloobs
28-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Nice job Wokks, I'm lovin' that Karijini Red and the cap is real nicetoo. Another stellar effort man.
Hey howd you blokes go in the cricket;-)

wokkaboy
28-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Cheers Barge. Aussies almost bowled out the kiwis. You are lucky I got to keep the language family friendly haha

bargeloobs
28-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Cheers Barge. Aussies almost bowled out the kiwis. You are lucky I got to keep the language family friendly haha

Hehehe, you showed nice restraint. You'll have to excuse a complete cricket dummy here, but what does "almost" mean, who won bro?

stan
28-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Wokka, sensational build man!
You were lucky to score a great guitar, but skillful enough to do it right, well done

andrewdosborne
28-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Good to see this axe complete Wokka. The cap is just beautiful - the colour choice w/black pups complement perfectly, well done.

gavinturner
28-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Wokka, another superb axe dude. That colour suits the cap beautifully, and I love the neck colour. This is yet another entry that will be very hard to beat (damn you!) :) .

cheers,
Gav.

dingobass
28-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Six points off for using feaces watson AND poo oil...
Or would you prefer another 12 months tacked onto your two life sentances in the naughty room? :-)

adam
28-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Ok, so there's only 4 entries this month?

They're all very high standard, so it will be tough to judge.

I'm off to Melbourne tomorrow, so we'll announce the winner when I'm back next week.

Thanks for your entries.

dingobass
28-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Yay! The boss is away..... PARTAY TIME!!! :-))

adam
28-02-2015, 07:43 PM
I hope there weren't any last minute entries.

The judges now have their brief and we will announce a winner when I get back from Melbourne next week.

adam
28-02-2015, 07:45 PM
I'm trusting you to keep the place tidy Dingobass.

dingobass
28-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Dont worry Ads, I am sure Miss Fiona will keep me under control..

Rob L
01-03-2015, 02:08 AM
Beautiful Wokka! Just love that black hardware. Really sets the cap off.

wokkaboy
01-03-2015, 08:34 AM
thanks for the comments everyone. It was a beautiful kit when I opened the box as you can see the pics.
I can't remember the last time there was only 4 entries !
@ DB, I don't care about any more naughty room sentences, I'm there for life !
@ Ads, do you think DB will keep the place tidy ? good luck !
Have fun in Melbourne and I hope a few PBGites can make it, should be a good night

Shoota
10-03-2015, 09:59 AM
*shoota paces back and forth.

wokkaboy
10-03-2015, 10:01 AM
should have results soon Shoota, just hang in there bro !

adam
10-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Sorry for the delay, should have the results up tonight.

adam
10-03-2015, 07:26 PM
And the winner is...

Thanks to our judges this month, including special guest judge, Neverwas. The scores and comments are now in...

In submission order.

1. Andrew's SG-1F
"So much to like about Andrew’s SG. The flamed top and colour is great and his name is justifiably proudly displayed on the headstock. My son would love this guitar since learning a few of Angus’ licks!"

"This is exactly how a SG should look. Beautifully finished, almost understated. You have allowed the timber and the shape do all the talking. If I were a six stringer I would be around to yours to steal this beauty. Well done Andrew!"

"Sublime SG - love the colours and the simplicity of it. Got all the right features in the right places and I can't see a shortcut anywhere. Only change I would make would be the knob end on the switch to black or chrome - the cream one sticks out a bit too much for me..."

"Flaming and colour look great. A black or chrome switch tip would match better and maybe a red cavity cover."

"Really nice colour choice Andrew and well finished. You’ve really captured the flame in the maple and finished up with a really tasty looking SG. You should be pretty happy."

2. Shoota's ST-1

"Great story line behind this guitar and awesome personal touches to make a young lass extremely proud of her guitar and it’s builder (aka Dad). Excellent first build and awesome paintwork although I’ll never look at Hello Kitty the same way again."

"Perfect Guitar for a young Lady! The paint work is top notch and the Hello Kitty skull and crossbones just sets this build off perfectly. Well done on your first build :)"

"Very original design. Love how this one has come out and the personality it evokes. Nicely done and I hope it meets the original spec! If I had to find fault, it would be that the back plate seems a bit awkward - the black stripe through the back highlights how it is not centred on the guitar - that said - it's in the right spot - just the design makes it look ... slightly awkward. That said - minor in an overall very nice guitar :)."

"Hot pink! Shame the black stripe isn't evenly spaced with the cover on the back and peeks out from the pickguard on the front, would still be enough room for the graphic if it was a bit narrower. Truss rod hole touched up with black just to tidy up. Don't think Amanda will mind, lucky girl."

"I really dig this one. The colour looks great and the graphics are cool, I’m sure Amanda must’ve been pretty stoked. Well done Dad!"

3. Gav's JR-1DC

"Gav’s love affair with the juniors continues and keep getting better. So simple yet professional in every sense."

"Gav, this is another quality build. Your finishes are getting better every time and I look forwards to seeing your next build.
Really nice touch with the red pearloid bits :)"

"Gavin - you're growing as a builder each build! Love the personal touches of the bent pickguard, control cover. Overall stunning build."

"Great colour and satin finish, sleek, very well done. Maybe black hardware to match pickup and knobs?"

"Nice work Gav, you’re becoming synonymous with tasty Juniors, which is not a bad thing at all. This is another excellent build."

4. Wokka's LP-1SS

"Wokka, once again a superb guitar and in Dingotone to boot."

"Wokka, you really are hitting your straps now. Every new build shows a vast improvement. Keep up the good work. One point off for using faeces watson and poo oil though :)"

"Wokks - agreed that it's a bit dark. Downside is that it started with spot on spalting and while I dig the colour, from the photos, I think it washes out the spalting. All things considered though - superbly finished (again) and the black bling is a great finish for the guitar. Even with the red - how could you cover that spalt with a rhythm / treble cover!!!"

"Love that cap and colour, grabs you right away. Nothing more to say."

"Nice work Wokka, I really can’t find too many faults in this one. Also good to see you’ve toned down your wild headstock designs. The only reason I'm not scoring you higher is that we're not seeing any originality. You scored a really nice veneer and chose a great colour... it just needs some Wokka/4D touches to make it yours."

This month the judges have voted Shoota's ST-1 as the Guitar of the Month.

Congratulations Shoota!

keloooe
10-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Congrats Shoota, had a good feeling you would win!
All the builds were great this month, good luck to all entering for April GOTM, the bar is even higher now!

Shoota
10-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Woo hoo. Thanks guys. I'm very proud of it. And Amanda loves it which is the most important thing. I agree with the comments on the back plate. I have a black one that I wanted to use but it's old and damaged. As for the spacing I tried to get it aligned on the front as best I can. It's been a learning experience that's for sure.

wokkaboy
10-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Congratulations Shoota. To win a GOTM on your first build is a credit. Well done Gav and Andrew were both great builds. Well done to the judges as well

stan
10-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Shoota: A well deserved win with a very cool guitar for your daughter, you should both be very happy.

Andrew, A tough SG with a classic look.
Gav another awesome Jr, if you made a bunch, you'd sell them all
and Wokka: That LP is so cool, I actually like the dark red, nice job.

more greatness from you guys, some very nice axes here and all well made, good job guys

Gavin1393
10-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Congrats to all. 4 superb entries and it could have gone to anyone this month.

andrewdosborne
11-03-2015, 04:23 AM
Shoota, congrats on your win. Awesome guitar build for your daughter and may inspire others to build one for the kids! Loved the design on this especially the graphics. Other entrants - also well done for another set of superb builds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott J.
11-03-2015, 07:00 AM
Congratulations guys, all of you ... great builds each and every one ... I'm sure glad I didn't have to judge this one! ... there might have only been four entries this month but the individual and collective quality of them more than makes up for the quantity.

gavinturner
11-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Congrats Shoota - a well deserved win! Andrew and Wokka - your builds were amazing. Another fantastic month of GOTM entries.

cheers,
Gav.

Fretworn
11-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Congratulations Shoota!

vh2580
11-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Congrats Shoota great build and deserving Winner. the standard is fantastic.