PDA

View Full Version : Building Pickups

tom
29-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Hi Friends,

Anyone had a go at building a pickup? I've been thinking about building some single coils for an old squier strat.

Looks like the hardest part is just winding the wires, but maybe I'm just blissfully ignorant.

Keen to hear anyone's experience/tips.

Cheers,

Tom

wokkaboy
29-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Hi Tom,
I haven't personally wound my own pickups but one of the PBG moderators Gavmiester (username Gavin1393) has built a pickup winder and made his own pickups. Hopefully he will see this post and give you some advice.
Ages ago on the forum he posted a thread on his pickup winder so you could try and search for some key words you may find the thread.

wokkaboy
29-01-2015, 10:14 AM
here's the thread here Tom on Gav's pickup winder
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1663&highlight=winder

tom
29-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Thanks Wokka, you're a legend

wokkaboy
29-01-2015, 10:53 AM
no worries Tom, the forum is always about helping others.
On the new-ish forum platform you can send another member a private message if you want more information from Gavin1393.
Are you going to have a crack at building a pickup winder ?
where are you based ?

tom
29-01-2015, 11:59 AM
Not sure wokka, part of me would like to just give it a go before diving too far in. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew. If it works out though I'd probably be keen.

I saw a ghetto-rigged version using a drill and some clamps, which could work, though probably not too evenly...

wokkaboy
29-01-2015, 12:02 PM
yeah a budget pickup winder will only make dodgy wound pups. Worth doing it properly like Gav's and include a counter