PDA

View Full Version : A great tool for learning tunes ( stealing licks )

dave.king1
25-01-2015, 07:21 AM
Just found this over on TDPRI, it works a treat because you can slow it right down but it retains pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&v=OwXSYYwiW0Q&x-yt-ts=1421914688#t=114

stan
25-01-2015, 03:14 PM
VLC is a good video player, interesting idea.

Has anyone tried the Riffstation software? You can slow down and it analyses any music you play through it and gives you the key, chords , you can separate out the guitar so you can play along etc. For $50 is seems good value... I'd be interested in a personal review from someone

http://www.riffstation.com/

dave.king1
26-01-2015, 04:59 AM
I've just downloaded Riffstation ( for PC ) which has a 30 day free trial.

Current online price is 19.99E or A$29.90 ( three WIN licences ) so just bit the bullet after reading a bunch of reviews

Having a good read on TPRI last night "Band In A Box" gets some high praise as well, but I know nothing about this one

stan
26-01-2015, 05:18 AM
would love to hear what you think of Riffstation , Dave

Nickosaurus
26-01-2015, 07:34 AM
I use the tempo tool in audacity to keep pitch. Works really well for those licks that are just too fast

dave.king1
26-01-2015, 06:31 PM
I use the tempo tool in audacity to keep pitch. Works really well for those licks that are just too fast

I'm currently doing a bit with a couple of guys I played with back in the 70s, they both sing, one plays acoustic and the other plays lap steel with me on bass or lead.

We use custom karaoke backing tracks with either bass or guitar dropped depending on what I am playing and when necessary use Audacity to pitch shift the tracks to suit their voices.

The tracks are stereo and I remove the click intro from the right channel so we get the count on the left through the fold back but not on the right which goes out front.

Works a treat.

dave.king1
06-02-2015, 05:18 AM
OK.

A bit of an update on Riffstation, I'm only using it for pitch and time shifting of some of the backing tracks so far and it's doing a very good job of it.

When I time shift all of the parts are remaining relative to each other and not sounding chipmunk or super balls so we are happy with the end product.

When I do this I "Save Audio " this saves it as a .wma file which is the only option, I then open it in Wavepad and resave it as an .mp3 to make it more usable.

If you do a "save project" rather than "save audio" it saves it in a Riffstation format as the only option which none of my media players will open and also won't load into Reaper.

Best $30 I've spent on software in living memory and to make it even better it is licenced for 3 PCs so I can legally share it ( my PCs )

stan
06-02-2015, 05:24 AM
thanks for the feedback on Riffstation , Dave. Might get this one

dave.king1
06-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Too bad the dollar has tanked in the last week or so, also may be off special that was something I just jagged at the time.

Having said that I would have happily paid more for what it gives me