PDA

View Full Version : Extramural Activities, Hidden Talents and Hobbies...

Pages : [1] 2

bargeloobs
24-01-2015, 03:02 PM
It's no secret that we're all in love with building guitars, everything guitar related and by default music in general.
The question here is...what floats your boat when you're not building guitars or writing,playing and listening to music?
Got a model railway, like to base jump from tall objects, taxidermy maybe?
Let's hear em folks!.

Me, I've been known to dabble with the brushes from time to time, also surfing was a huge part of my life until I moved to Australia, unfortunately it's just not possible anymore:-(

wokkaboy
24-01-2015, 03:44 PM
nice paintings Barge, you have a talent there for sure.
Don't really have any hidden talents, just love building other things in the workshop other woodworking projects, love watching AFL, cricket (I just learnt you hate it !), huge motorsport fan and occasionally take my worked V8 ute onto a track tune up session and leave a bit of rubber down haha

TC1600
24-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Wow Barge, that's some amazing artwork! I'm very envious of your talents :) I would have thought Australia would have been right up your alley as far as surfing goes, But admittedly I don't know what area you're in.

I'm a huge petrolhead, I've had cars that I would spend every weekend under the bonnet of, but I must admit the interest has started to wane of late, being a mechanic by trade means the thought of doing it all weekend too doesn't appeal as much as it used to, and cars can be absolute money pits! You guys have no idea how cheap this hobby is! I also love my motorsport, I used to be involved (racing karts, then Formula Vee), but these days I'm an avid spectator and online racer. I'm loving the fact Aussie drivers have enjoying success on the international stage!

bargeloobs
24-01-2015, 03:52 PM
nice paintings Barge, you have a talent there for sure.
Don't really have any hidden talents, just love building other things in the workshop other woodworking projects, love watching AFL, cricket (I just learnt you hate it !), huge motorsport fan and occasionally take my worked V8 ute onto a track tune up session and leave a bit of rubber down haha

You can't get a better hobby than sports Wokks, especially motorsports!!
Watching cricket, nup sorry...I'd sooner watch grass grow. If you want me to jump in and play, hell yeah I'm keen, otherwise....

bargeloobs
24-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Wow Barge, that's some amazing artwork! I'm very envious of your talents :) I would have thought Australia would have been right up your alley as far as surfing goes, But admittedly I don't know what area you're in.

I'm a huge petrolhead, I've had cars that I would spend every weekend under the bonnet of, but I must admit the interest has started to wane of late, being a mechanic by trade means the thought of doing it all weekend too doesn't appeal as much as it used to, and cars can be absolute money pits! You guys have no idea how cheap this hobby is! I also love my motorsport, I used to be involved (racing karts, then Formula Vee), but these days I'm an avid spectator and online racer. I'm loving the fact Aussie drivers have enjoying success on the international stage!

Don't get me wrong, Aussie has world class waves, just look at how many world champions have come out of this country over the years. Unfortunately just not where I live, and the closest bit of shoreline gets zero swell and is renown for white pointers, pretty much a bitey lake.
Working on cars has become a bit of an unwanted hobby of mine too throughout the years, believe me, I own a money pit right now and the bottoms getting deeper I swear! Sometimes I hate cars more than cricket!!

dingobass
24-01-2015, 05:53 PM
I guess my hobbies are:
Being a pest
Hand raising birds
Being a pest
Banishing people to the naughty room (Bargie, four life sentances for not liking cricket)
Being a pest
Stirring Wokka
Being a pest......

wokkaboy
24-01-2015, 05:56 PM
haha DB you have nothing on the real Pest aka Keloooe !
Looks like Bargie will be enjoying a coopers pale ale with us in the NR.
You do a great job of stirring me and sure I give it back you being a Pies fan.
Not much of a big bash semi final tonight Sydney Sixers into the final.
On a bright note DB gave me one life sentence off my 3 life sentence in the naughty room so not sure if I should be happy about that !

metalhead
24-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Cars here too, funny how common that combination seems! My two cars are a '79 Ford f250 (4 speed manual, mild 351 clevo) and a '68 MG Midget (heavily modified engine and suspension, Toyota 5 speed box). Don't own a modern car, and my commute is a ~120km round trip.

dingobass
24-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Ok, free shot Woks...
My new wheels..

Brendan
24-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Nice artwork Barge! Any one of them would be in the pool room at my place (if I had one)... Noodling with building guitars has given me the opportunity to branch out and I've started bending wood into rings... Started with a couple for my wife and I've now given a couple away to close friends and family.

wokkaboy
24-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Bwahaha I hope that's a joke DB. a pink electric bike. If I see it at your place tomoz I'll be laughing too much to do any work haha

dingobass
24-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Its not pink.
It is violet......

dingobass
24-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Infact, it is very close to Dockers colour.....

dingobass
24-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Nice artwork Barge! Any one of them would be in the pool room at my place (if I had one)... Noodling with building guitars has given me the opportunity to branch out and I've started bending wood into rings... Started with a couple for my wife and I've now given a couple away to close friends and family.

Miss Fiona is the lucky recipient of one of these rings.
They are exsquisetly beautiful.

wokkaboy
24-01-2015, 10:20 PM
DB thats no excuse a violet electric bike, and no its nothing like the manly colour of the Dockers ! If it was a real power assisted bike it would make noise !

bargeloobs
25-01-2015, 03:38 AM
I guess my hobbies are:
Being a pest
Hand raising birds
Being a pest
Banishing people to the naughty room (Bargie, four life sentances for not liking cricket)
Being a pest
Stirring Wokka
Being a pest......

hehehehe "4 life sentences". Beer, pizza and wi-fi......I guess I'll find a way to deal with it:-)

bargeloobs
25-01-2015, 03:41 AM

Wow that's pretty cool man!

bargeloobs
25-01-2015, 04:00 AM
Cars here too, funny how common that combination seems! My two cars are a '79 Ford f250 (4 speed manual, mild 351 clevo) and a '68 MG Midget (heavily modified engine and suspension, Toyota 5 speed box). Don't own a modern car, and my commute is a ~120km round trip.

Give me an older car to work on any day of the week, the moment they started putting computers in cars things all turned pear shaped!
I've got a VX at the moment that will just stop at random intervals just when you need it to least, sometimes it starts straight back up, other times you have to wait half and hour...an hour, imagine how much fun that is on a hot day with the kids in the car.
Went to the trouble of buying a diagnostics cable/software and have since replaced the fuel filiter, 2 O2 sensors, the ignition module and the coil pack after receiving those error codes on the diagnostics, long story short, it's still doing it....and giving me the same error codes even after replacing. Now I'm getting errors for the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor which I can't do myself anyway because you need a special tool to get the pulley off the front of the motor.
Computers.....overrated! (and not as smart as they make out)

dave.king1
25-01-2015, 07:33 AM
I guess building and playing guitars is a given on here.

There seems to be a certain dislike for cricket so to balance it up a bit I am about to complete the 51st year since first playing mens cricket ( got graded from school at 14 ), there have been a few seasons off along the way and this will be the last season because the body can't take any more.

I have posted this elsewhere, but this one is my 4th car build from scratch ( not a kit ) and I may do one more. This was at Eastern Creek in August last year

andrewdosborne
25-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Barge, awesome artwork now I know where your guitar design talent comes from! In our house apart from guitars and everything else related building model aeroplanes or anything else that flies is the flavour of the moment. We currently spend quite a bit of time naffing around with a remote control helicopter which is fun.

stan
25-01-2015, 03:06 PM
Bargey - Nice art mate, also:

if it is a crank or cam sensor, you'd most likely get fail to start in general. It might be intermittent, but not as likely...

It sounds like fuel vaporisation.

Computers arent that scarey, they simply coordinate the sensors and inputs, and adjust stuff like timing and fuel flow etc accordingly.

Cars for me too. Had a 1.6 mk4 Golf and put in an Audi A3 1.8 turbo. Stage 2 tune and downpipe, lowered, and stuff. Plenty of computer fiddling. Still have a garage full of bits to go in it.

I also do mechanical watch builds and repairs.

Golf build thread here (you dont have to log in to read it):

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f55/stans-epic-golf-build-1-6se-becomes-1-8t-63249.html

Nickosaurus
25-01-2015, 06:24 PM
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10500348_10152339642183742_6731401276007524473_n.j pg?oh=94495c83d5dcd8c3e5a20446563e5599&oe=555D5AFD

art for me too. Also do a bit of kayaking/fishing.

Plenty of gaming too :D

TC1600
25-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Give me an older car to work on any day of the week, the moment they started putting computers in cars things all turned pear shaped!
I've got a VX at the moment that will just stop at random intervals just when you need it to least, sometimes it starts straight back up, other times you have to wait half and hour...an hour, imagine how much fun that is on a hot day with the kids in the car.
Went to the trouble of buying a diagnostics cable/software and have since replaced the fuel filiter, 2 O2 sensors, the ignition module and the coil pack after receiving those error codes on the diagnostics, long story short, it's still doing it....and giving me the same error codes even after replacing. Now I'm getting errors for the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor which I can't do myself anyway because you need a special tool to get the pulley off the front of the motor.
Computers.....overrated! (and not as smart as they make out)

Definitely sounds like crank angle sensor, when they start to fail they go when hot, tip a bottle of water over it and it will fire up again. They can keep running when failed as the computer knows the crank position, or near enough, but when you switch it off then go to restart it has no starting reference.

stan
26-01-2015, 04:51 AM
ah yes TC, I think you are on to something there

Niko: nice work mate!

bargeloobs
26-01-2015, 05:06 AM
I guess building and playing guitars is a given on here.

I have posted this elsewhere, but this one is my 4th car build from scratch ( not a kit ) and I may do one more. This was at Eastern Creek in August last year

Very nice man:-) I'd love to see your workshop

bargeloobs
26-01-2015, 05:15 AM
Barge, awesome artwork now I know where your guitar design talent comes from! In our house apart from guitars and everything else related building model aeroplanes or anything else that flies is the flavour of the moment. We currently spend quite a bit of time naffing around with a remote control helicopter which is fun.

I used to love building model airplanes as a young fella, I could probably still rattle them all off if I thought about it. Had a Lancaster bomber (1:72) which used to be my favorite.

bargeloobs
26-01-2015, 05:22 AM
Bargey - Nice art mate, also:
Computers arent that scarey, they simply coordinate the sensors and inputs, and adjust stuff like timing and fuel flow etc accordingly.

Cars for me too. Had a 1.6 mk4 Golf and put in an Audi A3 1.8 turbo. Stage 2 tune and downpipe, lowered, and stuff. Plenty of computer fiddling. Still have a garage full of bits to go in it.

I also do mechanical watch builds and repairs.

Golf build thread here (you dont have to log in to read it):

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f55/stans-epic-golf-build-1-6se-becomes-1-8t-63249.html

Build looks really interesting Stan, cool stuff alright:-)
It's not that I find computers scary, they just frustrate me when I fix something, reset and still receive the same error code coming up. I'm literally throwing money down the toilet with this car.

bargeloobs
26-01-2015, 05:24 AM
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10500348_10152339642183742_6731401276007524473_n.j pg?oh=94495c83d5dcd8c3e5a20446563e5599&oe=555D5AFD

art for me too. Also do a bit of kayaking/fishing.

Plenty of gaming too :D
I'm diggin' that bro, wicked:-)

bargeloobs
26-01-2015, 05:28 AM
Definitely sounds like crank angle sensor, when they start to fail they go when hot, tip a bottle of water over it and it will fire up again. They can keep running when failed as the computer knows the crank position, or near enough, but when you switch it off then go to restart it has no starting reference.

I'd be inclined to agree here too, obviously working through the easier stuff hasn't given a result.

dingobass
26-01-2015, 06:58 AM
I'd be inclined to agree here too, obviously working through the easier stuff hasn't given a result.

A hammer should fix it :)

bargeloobs
26-01-2015, 07:14 AM
A hammer should fix it :)

I was think more along the lines of a stick of dynamite...

TC1600
26-01-2015, 02:05 PM
A jerry can of petrol and a match? :P

dave.king1
26-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Very nice man:-) I'd love to see your workshop
The workshop is just a very ordinary double garage that Nemo shares with my son's drag car, Datto 1200 ute CA18 with huge turbo and happy gas currently knocking out close to 400RWKw

I'll add a pic of The Black Rat when I'm back on the PC tomorrow

TC1600
26-01-2015, 07:08 PM
So is the Clubbie from the Haynes Build your own Sportscar book, or your own design? I would love to have built one of them, maybe one day as a retirement project.

Nickosaurus
26-01-2015, 07:21 PM
that datto sounds awesome

dave.king1
27-01-2015, 10:46 AM
The clubbie is very loosely based on the Ron Champion book "Build Your Own Sportscar for #250" the book is full of errors not the least of which is the title ( out by $24,500 )

Here are a couple of pics of the Rat

wokkaboy
27-01-2015, 10:59 AM
nice looking Datto 1200 ute Dave, so its got a few more horsepower than it came out of the factory, what sort of quarter mile times does it do Dave ?
Might as well rename this thread the petrolhead thread !

dave.king1
27-01-2015, 11:28 AM
nice looking Datto 1200 ute Dave, so its got a few more horsepower than it came out of the factory, what sort of quarter mile times does it do Dave ?
Might as well rename this thread the petrolhead thread !

I guess we'll find out when he stops breaking bits but should be well below 9s, so far 2 x gearboxes ( supposed to be good for 1000Hp ) and stretched the head studs ( 35 psi )

It was such a nice little sleeper when he bought it.

We've also done a major conversion on a HiLux, put a supercharged Lexus V8 in an LC Torana and a 1200Hp Scott Shiroff big block in a VK Commodore also started a build of an exo skeleton rock crawler but moved it on before we got it running.

Not bad for a telephone tech ( me ), a cabinet maker and a water blaster.

wokkaboy
27-01-2015, 11:39 AM
nice one Dave, sounds like one tough Datto ute to break that !

metalhead
29-01-2015, 05:54 AM
Agreed on the crank angle sensor. Love the datto and the clubman!

zeromick
30-01-2015, 08:59 AM
I dabble in photography... I spent years shooting BMX for magazines and once I stopped riding I started shooting weddings a bit more but I gave it away as it was to stressful for a weekend job haha. One thing I'd always shot was landscapes and this is what I now prominently shoot these days.

If you want to have a look at what I do you can check out my website www.michaelphoto.com.au

http://www.michaelphoto.com.au/file/gallery_images/gallery_image_winterlong.jpg

http://www.michaelphoto.com.au/file/gallery_images/gallery_image_home.jpg

http://www.michaelphoto.com.au/file/gallery_images/gallery_image_oceania.jpg

bargeloobs
30-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Damn son!! They're stunning. All three photos are similar in the fact that they all just hint at the sun as a light source, I really like that!

wokkaboy
30-01-2015, 12:54 PM
wow Mick those 3 photos are stunning you really captured the moment, they would make awesome desktop photos. If you lived in Perth I'd get you to photograph my GOTM entries !

dave.king1
30-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Glorious pics Mick, I wish I had the skill to imagine things like that and then seize the moment when it occurred

zeromick
02-02-2015, 06:24 AM
Cheers guys, believe me… the shots don’t come easy but it’s so much fun researching/searching/traveling/camping ect to shoot some of the most beautiful places on earth in stunning conditions!

Nickosaurus
02-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Gorgeous photos Mick.

stan
02-02-2015, 05:08 PM
quality work Mick, very nice

vh2580
02-02-2015, 05:33 PM
I love landscape photography and they are stunning!

pablopepper
02-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Wow. Stunning photography.

Fretworn
03-02-2015, 09:01 AM
The problem with my hidden talents is they are hidden too well and I haven't found them yet!

wokkaboy
03-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Fretty you just haven't realised what your hidden talents are !
I've been busy last few days managed to build 3 guitar racks and try and get some order and access to each guitar in my crowded axe room. I came up with my own design after watching a few youtube vids. I have purposely had to squeeze them up to fit my collection ! Here's pics of the first 2 racks I've built. In the 3 racks I can store 33 guitars but have to remove whammy bars on tremelo guitars

wokkaboy
03-02-2015, 09:30 AM
here's more shots of the 2nd rack and the 3rd rack Sunday night. I've since put the neck slots in #3 rack so no need for clamps to hold the necks upright as the photo shows.
This coming weekend I plan to get a coat of black paint on each and glue the rubber insulation into the neck slots

pablopepper
03-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Nice work Woks. I hate leaving guitars resting in corners or against a wall. How the hell do you choose which one you want to play?

wokkaboy
03-02-2015, 10:03 AM
cheers Pablo, not sure how I decide which axe to play, usually one I haven't played for a while.

bargeloobs
03-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Nice job there Wokks, a decent stand is about as essential as strings on a guitar I reckon. I cringe when I see people leaning guitars in corners.

wokkaboy
03-02-2015, 02:52 PM
cheers Barge, I tell you there was a heap of leaning guitars before I built these so there would have been alot of Barge cringing haha

bargeloobs
03-02-2015, 02:58 PM
cheers Barge, I tell you there was a heap of leaning guitars before I built these so there would have been alot of Barge cringing haha

hehehe, I mean obviously you'd need a small hall to do it with all those axes, but I'd sooner lay a guitar (strings down) on the carpet before I rested it on the headstock in a corner. Definitely worth the effort man, you and the elves are doing good things:-)

wokkaboy
03-02-2015, 03:42 PM
HAHA yeah Barge I got those elves trained well. Just got to get them to help more with the mundane parts of the build - sanding !

wokkaboy
09-02-2015, 10:10 AM
got a grey primer coat and black coat on one of the guitar racks, looks good loaded up with axes

pablopepper
09-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Seriously cool Woks. I think one of these is gonna be appearing in my house soon enough. Sick of everything sitting in cases in a closet.

wokkaboy
09-02-2015, 10:44 AM
cheers Pablo, the third rack took me about 2 hours to build and about an hour to prime/paint, only cost about $50 for materials, a great investment

Rob L
09-02-2015, 10:56 PM
You guys have serious talents here!

This is just a fraction of the fiber tools I make for my girlfriends shop. All stuff to spin fiber into wool, knit, crochet and a crap ton of other stuff. :)

bargeloobs
10-02-2015, 11:59 PM
Hey Zeromick, seeing that you're a pretty ass-kickin' photograph taking guy. How hard would it be to replicate something along these lines (pic related)
I'm wanting to use something similar for an upcoming album cover but don't want to breach any copyrights or anything if you get my drift.
I can't pay you but there'll be a few discs in it for ya if you're keen.

dave.king1
28-02-2015, 08:09 PM
G'day all Sydney siders,

Our racing season starts again next Saturday 7/3 at Eastern Creek, if anyone is interested in motorsport and wants to see a very diverse bunch of cars running around please drop by and say hello.

I'll be the grey haired old bloke in the blue race suit talking sh1t ;-)

Entry is free and Nemo will be in garage 29, there is full public access to the pit and garage areas and everyone will be more than happy to talk about their pride and joy for hours.

The pic below is Nemo in a battle with a GT40 at Eastern Creek in June last year

stan
01-03-2015, 04:26 AM
Hey Zeromick, seeing that you're a pretty ass-kickin' photograph taking guy. How hard would it be to replicate something along these lines (pic related)
I'm wanting to use something similar for an upcoming album cover but don't want to breach any copyrights or anything if you get my drift.
I can't pay you but there'll be a few discs in it for ya if you're keen.

pm sent Bargey, you might be surprised

stan
01-03-2015, 04:26 AM
nice rack Pabs... never thought I'd type that

bargeloobs
01-03-2015, 04:45 AM
pm sent Bargey, you might be surprised

Yeah I just got the notification, pretty neat Stan:-) I sent one back, cheers man.

Shoota
09-03-2015, 10:48 AM
I used to play snooker and 8ball but after owning my own hall for a couple of years I don't play very often anymore.

I now sell new homes for a builder which is tough going at the moment so I can't really afford any hobbies. But if a client wants a floor plan altered I really enjoy doing that. And a touch of roller skating with my daughter.

That Datsun looks great. Check out Rigolis datto ute with the fiat engine.

dave.king1
09-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Round 1 of FOSC is done and dusted, here are vids of Race 2 & 3 unfortunately fluffed the downshift to 4th at turn 3 once in each race which didn't help the result ( need to modify the lever angle a bit )

http://youtu.be/rgXau0Yo6DE?list=UUAxswv4R0ErG7m9Gghrnr0w

No track outing outing with Nemo would be complete without a spin

http://youtu.be/aVZSBO1AqFA?list=UUAxswv4R0ErG7m9Gghrnr0w

wokkaboy
09-03-2015, 02:55 PM
nice one Dave, your car fairly hikes out, there was a similar looking car (blue) that raced through the pack and past the green Torana that liked blocking !
Great track Sydney motorsport park and they done some mods to kerbing and track layout.
The V8 supercars enter turn one about 225km/h, madness !
Good thing there were no walls or objects where you spun. Looks like you lost the rear tyres hey and you were a passenger ?
Is that a gopro camera you have mounted on the roll bars ?

keloooe
09-03-2015, 07:15 PM
I guess my hobbies are:
Being a pest
Hand raising birds
Being a pest
Being a pest
Stirring Wokka
Being a pest......

DB, that's MY job!!! :D
I like to build axes (pretty given), keen cyclist, loves cricket (Barge beware) and AFL, and most forms of motorsport, mainly F1 and the V8's!

dingobass
09-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Keloooie, you are an apprentice pest....
I have been at it for thirty years or more than you :)

keloooe
09-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Either way I'm still pretty good at it!
Also add in to my list, drinking copious amounts of naughty oil and Nitro and who can forget going to the green shed all the time to grab something?

dave.king1
10-03-2015, 06:48 AM
nice one Dave, your car fairly hikes out, there was a similar looking car (blue) that raced through the pack and past the green Torana that liked blocking !
Great track Sydney motorsport park and they done some mods to kerbing and track layout.
The V8 supercars enter turn one about 225km/h, madness !
Good thing there were no walls or objects where you spun. Looks like you lost the rear tyres hey and you were a passenger ?
Is that a gopro camera you have mounted on the roll bars ?

G'day Wok,

The car goes OK for a bog stock 1.8L Corolla engine, I was under geared with a 4.44 diff and 13"wheels for the long circuit but that gave me greater punch out of the corners probably should have run on 15s but I left them at home.

The blue car is a very highly developed race only beast and the mustard coloured one that passed me in the 2nd vid is of alloy honeycomb composite construction with a very hot 2.3L Ford Duratec in it ( both drivers are seriously quick as well ). The spin was a result of red mist trying to get back in front of the MG after he passed me when I missed the downshift on T2

This was my first time out on that part of the circuit ( North ), there are basically four track configurations, North, South, GP & Brabham. The original layout was the GP circuit which splits into North & South and then they added a bit to make the South circuit a bit longer and when that is used in conjunction with the North circuit it becomes the Brabham circuit.

On Friday afternoon I walked the track to get a feel for the lines, camber changes and to look for the joins in the tar. At the top of the straight for the first lap of practice my only thought was that I was under prepared mentally to go through T1 on full noise which the car is more than capable of, there is probably another 8 seconds in the car if not the driver.

The camera is a GoPro Hero HD ( their first HD ) with firmware upgrades for remote control, on the day the remote wifi backpack had decided not to work and it wasn't until the lunch break when I worked out what the problem was hence only 2 vids instead of 4.

Next outing is at Wakefield Park on the first weekend in May for a three day event, then back to SMP South on the last Sunday in May.

stan
10-03-2015, 08:02 AM
that's a nice car Dave. A mate of mine in Adelaide had a similar one, power by a toyota twin cam, it was a beast. Man they can accellerate

Nickosaurus
10-03-2015, 08:16 AM
Great vids Dave. I was actually going to comment on your lines - you were getting really nice arcs through the bends. Definitely couldn't tell you were fresh on that track.

wokkaboy
10-03-2015, 09:01 AM
nice one Dave, I did notice you were quick out of turns, you did well to keep up with most cars on the straight under geared.
Looks like a fun class to race and there's a big range of types of cars racing.
Next time you race there run the 15 inch wheels and you will crack 200 clicks on the straight

GeneralKaos
06-06-2015, 06:49 PM
My hobbies are Harley-Davidson motorcycles and wimmin. Both are high maintenance.
One I'm good at, the other, well, not so much....

dave.king1
06-06-2015, 07:38 PM
My hobbies are Harley-Davidson motorcycles and wimmin. Both are high maintenance.
One I'm good at, the other, well, not so much....

I'm guessing the old HD is the one you are good at because the other is a mystery for the majority of the male of the species

keloooe
06-06-2015, 07:48 PM
Always was a mystery, and always will be one....

GeneralKaos
07-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Yeah the bike takes a couple of tools.....

GeneralKaos
07-06-2015, 07:46 PM
I'm not telling what the other may take........:eek:

dave.king1
07-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Always was a mystery, and always will be one....

And you have so much time to realise the truth in this statement :D

Brendan
23-09-2015, 11:44 PM
Couple of more rings - have actually sold some!

The photos aren't the best- some were taken with a dying phone camera in not the best light.

First one is jarrah on the inside and ash on the outside - love the colour and texture you get from ash in rings...
Next two are pure ash - different dimensions for someone who wanted two rings - one for herself and one for a friend.
Last set of three was the ones that started it all off - a full set - wedding, engagement and eternity ring for my wife - outside pair are maple inside and silky oak outside - middle one is maple inside and walnut outside. Wasn't totally happy with the silky oak - looks great as a sheet, but in a ring - hard to work with and it lost the stippled nature of the veneer.

jarrod
24-09-2015, 01:06 PM
my other passion

wokkaboy
24-09-2015, 01:19 PM
@ Bman the rings look very professional, nicely made, do you have to put a clear coat on them, tru oil ?
@ Jrod, nice rig mate, what's the standing quarter mile time and rear wheel horsepower bro ?

jarrod
24-09-2015, 02:19 PM
162 bhp on back wheel and 188 at the crank. Top speed of 298 and 0 to 100 in 2.6 seconds. She' tricked up a bit but as standard is about 9 seconds on the 1/4 but everyone can ride fast in a straight line. Im afraid im a bit of a knee down hero (yup one of them hoons).

wokkaboy
24-09-2015, 02:24 PM
bloody hell impressive stats Jrod. Just ride safe bro it's a very fast way to be a temporary Australian !

dave.king1
24-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Very nice bit of kit there J

Brendan
24-09-2015, 08:40 PM
CA my friend Wokks - CA! :).

jarrod
24-09-2015, 08:47 PM
CA my friend Wokks - CA! :).

They look amazing Brendan

Wisdom
05-01-2016, 10:19 AM
I have lots of hobbies. Some sit for long periods of time while I either contemplate completion, or move on to some other challenge.
I really enjoy building miniature models out of stuff I find.
Here is my latest contraption, an RC car that I added a ton of detail too.
I made the hard top out of polystyrene. the grille is also completely fabricated it originally came with stickers. The bumper shackles are made from cotter pins, and the antenna is a guitar string. the rigging slings are shoe laces and the cooler and tackle box are scratch built.
It started all out as an Axial SCX10 rock crawler, Called a Dingo of all things. I went crazy with details.
7424 7425
7426 7427

This thing will go anywhere you point it. I waterproofed all the electronics and bearings. It will run completely submerged in water with out a blink.

Here is a video I put together. Oh ya, I do that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIF7WhzwB7Y

Wisdom
05-01-2016, 10:33 AM
hows come the other pictures in the thread don't show up? what gives?

Andy40
05-01-2016, 01:42 PM
I want to surf the wave on your picture Barge

Gavin1393
05-01-2016, 03:31 PM
hows come the other pictures in the thread don't show up? what gives?

Hi Wisdom, what 'other' pictures are you referring to?

Wisdom
07-01-2016, 09:31 PM
for some reason none of the other pictures in the other posts were displaying. I see them now though. so disregard.

Thank you!

Dedman
02-03-2016, 11:24 AM
hobbies...hmm lots of em.
I ride a Triumph (2005 900 Thruxton) not often enough.
I collect knives and swords.( I sell them for a living as well)
I shoot Single Action (Cowboy) shooting competitions.
I occasionally write horror fiction.
I do a lot of 3D art, mostly of women with guns ,knives or motorcycles for some reason.........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/Killsy-Knuck4_zpsx4zjsu9b.jpg

wokkaboy
02-03-2016, 11:31 AM
wow love the 3D art Dedman, very cool indeed

pablopepper
02-03-2016, 11:31 AM
I like you....

tonyw
02-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Heres 1 of my hobbies or just plain hard work, depends how you look at it

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/my04tone/0001_zpshpvnzzwf.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/my04tone/002_zpsssvl7djm.jpg

pablopepper
02-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Found anything of note?

wokkaboy
02-03-2016, 12:26 PM
Pabs check out the Home Made Postcards thread Tony found a heap of World War II badges

tonyw
02-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Yeah pabs lots of good things, always finding something old if i am relic hunting, or gold if i am prospecting.

tonyw
02-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Very early Irish Btn Kings Regiment Liverpool Badge found up on the Murrumbidgee with a heap of other relics.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/my04tone/IR_zpsbx01byny.jpg

Dedman
03-03-2016, 05:37 PM
It was a quiet day around the Bunker today so I did this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/Gretchen-Vox_zpstnejm9zm.jpg

wokkaboy
03-03-2016, 05:57 PM
very impressive graphic artwork Dedman !

Maybe you can incorporate some of your artwork on a guitar build !

Swanny
03-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Heres 1 of my hobbies or just plain hard work, depends how you look at it

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/my04tone/0001_zpshpvnzzwf.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/my04tone/002_zpsssvl7djm.jpg

I did a bit of prospecting at work today, Tony, you would have been proud! I used a handheld Garrett metal detector wand to search about 50 metres of boulder walls to find the key from a stolen car. First time anyone's used this bit of kit since we got it, and I found the key!

tonyw
04-03-2016, 01:39 AM
@Dedman: thats very very nice work

@Swanny: Impressed Swanny :D Garrett make good stuff, although i have sold all my Garrett gear. 50metres of wall and a wand, shouldnt be too bad, at least the wand has some surface area. That lil pinpointer on my right hip, in front of my digging blade in the pics, i went in and under all these swings and playground equipment for a woman whos kid had lost a valuable braclet, that was after i went over the whole playground with a detector, found the bracelet and about $20 in coins :D

Dedman
06-03-2016, 05:50 PM
a couple of older art works, I like to think I've improved since
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/323983_4322999080177_1427818614_o_zpswegvjs2e.jpg

The next 2 are from a series I did of fictitious album covers for an imaginary band "Altair 6"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/171216_1829308699476_6348893_o_zpsguha2ou3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/168470_1834403466842_6013931_n_zpsyriuuljv.jpg

DaveyCustom
13-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Hobby thread! I have hobbies..lol. The only thing they really have in common (most of them anyway) is that I work with my hands, and they are very detail oriented.. Obviously, I like to tinker with guitars.. I am also a licensed taxidermist, and tattooer. I also have a couple large tropical fish tanks... oh, and motorcycling...http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160313/6fb550320e8297f47980f178c40dab8c.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160313/8a5afc78ea2eadfa011a0f10b11f25a3.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160313/79736ea361780ffbecbae7a0243af50c.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160313/e3f86fab4452c264fedb0a688674a771.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

DaveyCustom
13-03-2016, 11:39 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160313/fe6bbaef9adffed67ab7778fc277fa57.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160313/58b51d7091a5d479fb4877c10c68c743.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160313/8a8aa86513fb9e242bc857ef4aa94fc3.jpg

Oh.. and guns..

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160313/6d56218331e40487ac95ca64a324cf1e.jpg

Andy40
14-03-2016, 04:42 AM
Forgive my ignorance...but is that a scorpion in that duck looking creatures beak/bill? and are you riding in an open-faced helmet in winter?

DaveyCustom
14-03-2016, 04:46 AM
Its a crayfish in the duck's bill, typical fare for the Hooded Merganser...
And yes, call me crazy, but full face helmets make me claustrophobic! I have a neoprene mask if its too cold, but the larger windshield helps. I have a short one that goes on in summer...

DaveyCustom
14-03-2016, 05:15 AM
They are freshwater... like lobsters.. do you call them "yabby"?

tonyw
14-03-2016, 05:40 AM
Yes a Yabby

DaveyCustom
14-03-2016, 05:42 AM
Google is my friend! Lol

tonyw
14-03-2016, 05:44 AM
Google is my friend! Lol

haha and those guns would get you locked up for good stretch over here :p

DaveyCustom
14-03-2016, 05:47 AM
What kinds of guns are legal there? Ive read differing opinions on Australia's gun control programs... just curious to hear from people who are there.. did it work? In the states, the cities with the most strict gun control laws, tend to have really high crime and gun violence because the only ones with guns, are the criminals... maybe not the right thread for this discussion I suppose, but that is one of my hobbies...

stan
14-03-2016, 06:06 AM
No semi auto large caliber rifles, no military weapons, shotguns ok, larger caliber ok but must not be auto or semi auto...

Works well, very low gun crime, don't have the near weekly school shoot ups the States seem to have, shooters still have outlets for hunting and club competitions.

All guns kept in locked safes, cannot be kept loaded, owners must be club members

DaveyCustom
14-03-2016, 06:17 AM
Our problem here, in my opinion, are broken systems. We have literally thousands of gun laws on the books, and background checks, etc.. but some of the parts are busted. Our mental health system is one of those.
They also dont seem to enforce the laws that exist very well. When you have a repeat felon charged with multiple gun charges, and allowed to plead guilty to a lower charge and avoid the gun charges, there is a problem. The thousands of laws dont deter criminals if they arent enforced... its a mess. It hurts law abiding, responsible gun owners...

stan
14-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Proper enforcement and regulation can find a good balance for responsible owners and decent control.

Dedman
14-03-2016, 06:38 AM
I'm one of the few shooters who doesn't have a problem with our gun laws. I comply with all the regulations, so I can shoot the kind of guns I like, I have an exemption that allows me to have high cal handguns because the match I shoot encompasses it. I also have a collectors licence and the storage requirements required for that. A couple of friends have large property's and can have semi-auto rifles for feral eradication. You can still have pretty much anything you want if you are prepared to meet the requirements and if it stops the crackhead bogan from down the road from owning a firearm, I think it's a good thing.

DaveyCustom
14-03-2016, 06:46 AM
I'm one of the few shooters who doesn't have a problem with our gun laws. I comply with all the regulations, so I can shoot the kind of guns I like, I have an exemption that allows me to have high cal handguns because the match I shoot encompasses it. I also have a collectors licence and the storage requirements required for that. A couple of friends have large property's and can have semi-auto rifles for feral eradication. You can still have pretty much anything you want if you are prepared to meet the requirements and if it stops the crackhead bogan from down the road from owning a firearm, I think it's a good thing.
I agree with you, though Im not sure what a bogan is (ill google..lol).. BUT, what I dont agree with is piling on law after law after law, that wouldnt change anything, when the current laws arent enforced.. again, I follow the laws we have, but more laws for me to follow, do nothing to the criminal element, who dont follow them anyway...

DaveyCustom
14-03-2016, 06:47 AM
Ah.. bogan... thug, ghetto dweller, etc.. got it...

Dedman
14-03-2016, 09:25 AM
We'll make an Aussie of you yet :cool:

wazkelly
15-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Ah.. bogan... thug, ghetto dweller, etc.. got it...

Typically lower socio economic demographic susceptible to wearing flannelette shirts and sheep skin ugg boots as going out attire.

We see plenty of Walmart fail photos over here and they typify what you may now call a Yankee Bogan.

DaveyCustom
15-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Typically lower socio economic demographic susceptible to wearing flannelette shirts and sheep skin ugg boots as going out attire.

We see plenty of Walmart fail photos over here and they typify what you may now call a Yankee Bogan.
Funny you say that.. Ive already been using it! Lol.. its like a new code word..

Dedman
15-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Speaking fluent bogan isn't hard. Just replace the letter K with G. Replace the letter T with D, replace the letters TH with F.
Example : "So woddya fink ya loog'in at ya fuggin cund?" *Moderator feel free to delete*

next thing you know you will have a meth addiction and weeping sores.

DaveyCustom
15-03-2016, 08:43 PM
Speaking fluent bogan isn't hard. Just replace the letter K with G. Replace the letter T with D, replace the letters TH with F.
Example : "So woddya fink ya lookin at ya fuggin cund?" *Moderator feel free to delete*

Lol! Yup.. we just call them "white trash"..

wazkelly
15-03-2016, 08:48 PM
Example : "So woddya fink ya loog'in at ya fuggin cund?" *Moderator feel free to delete*

Laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out!

Dedman
15-03-2016, 09:01 PM
My work here is done ;)

Swanny
15-03-2016, 09:12 PM
My work here is done ;)

So you literally took the piss out of Waz!

wazkelly
15-03-2016, 09:15 PM
Speechless.

GeneralKaos
20-03-2016, 08:07 PM
LOL I think we would get along famously, Davey! I have family in New Bedford....

DaveyCustom
20-03-2016, 09:27 PM
What part of Michigan are you in? I have a daughter near Ann Arbor...

Dedman
28-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Someone stole my Tele!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/Yakusa-Shredder_zpsqjctypvl.jpg

Dedman
28-03-2016, 01:48 PM
I did some hmmm, what would you call it. Pre-visualisation? of a house I've had in mind for a while.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/12_zpss1hrgfse.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/8_zpsh32sl9jm.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/10_zpsqlfwnx6s.jpg
stuffed up the roof, need to redo that
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/11_zpsnzabvdzq.jpg

Fretworn
29-03-2016, 10:13 AM
Someone stole my Tele!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/Yakusa-Shredder_zpsqjctypvl.jpg

I'd let her have it. If she's walking around wearing nothing but Yakuza tattoos, she's trouble.

Dedman
29-03-2016, 12:11 PM
I'd let her have it. If she's walking around wearing nothing but Yakuza tattoos, she's trouble.

Most of the women in my life have been :P

DaveyCustom
29-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Thats because they ALL are!

GeneralKaos
29-03-2016, 05:10 PM
Beer City, USA. Your girl a student at U of M?

DaveyCustom
29-03-2016, 05:48 PM
Beer City, USA. Your girl a student at U of M?
Lol.. no. Shes a student in the 5th grade..

Dedman
19-04-2016, 07:12 AM
Tony ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Demotiv/giphy_zpsdahhovue.gif

tonyw
19-04-2016, 10:17 AM
umm close.

wokkaboy
19-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Tony are they gold nuggets ? hard to see

Fretworn
19-04-2016, 10:54 AM
Tony are they gold nuggets ? hard to see

I think they may be blobs of rust..

tonyw
19-04-2016, 11:42 AM
5oz of gold nuggets found in the Triangle last winter

wokkaboy
19-04-2016, 11:58 AM
wow that would have funded a few axes Tony !

Dedman
19-04-2016, 12:16 PM
that's a better find than a metal band :P

tonyw
19-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Heres one i found last year, just after i had a decent fall on the side of a mountain.

A nice speci still embedded in the quartz. Anything i find goes back into the hobby, or i let it tally up and buy something nice with it.

The guitar hobby has to pay for itself.

wokkaboy
19-04-2016, 01:43 PM
nice find Tony, and I like your theory let each hobby fund itself, other than home brew haha

tonyw
19-04-2016, 01:50 PM
nice find Tony, and I like your theory let each hobby fund itself, other than home brew haha

Homebrew= cheaper beer :D

Drinking a Founders All Day I.P.A at the moment.... noice

Photography my other hobby has paid for itself over and over, but i am not as serious about it as i used to be. Got some nice pics on the Great Ocean Road yesterday, first shots i have fired in anger in a long time.

Not the best shot for the day, but its on my Desktop and sized lol

wokkaboy
19-04-2016, 02:15 PM
love that drive the Great Ocean Road, very pretty scenery and winding roads

how many of the 12 apostles are left ? I know they are slowly decaying and collapsing

tonyw
19-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Didnt bother driving that far, i have all the pics of the GOR i need over the years, only drove as far as Port Campbell from Warrnambool.

Had a huge ploughmans lunch at Warrnambool butter cheese factory, that was excellent.

wokkaboy
19-04-2016, 02:27 PM
wow that cheese platter looks very tasty Tony, you are not helping the working folk locked in an office all day !

tonyw
19-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Building up the energy for all the pickup winding i have to do when i get home :cool:

wokkaboy
19-04-2016, 02:35 PM
haha no worries Tony, don't make it priority, I'm at least 3 weeks from finishing the baritone tele.

tonyw
19-04-2016, 02:41 PM
I have 7 sets to do, 2x teles, 3xstrats, 1 P bass, and 1 tele bass, so i am a busy little winding machine for a few days.

Then i have to program the new winder to scatter wind, nearly done, as well as neatly traverse layer like the early Gibsons.

Thinking of just doing single coils, leave the HB's to the other 3000000000 winders out there.

Dedman
19-04-2016, 02:46 PM
That's a good system Tony. My 3D work pays for my new computer every 3 years and paid for my bike, before that photography and writing always bought my bikes for me while I slugged it out living on retail employees wages.
Need to figure out how to pay for GAS

Dedman
21-04-2016, 06:50 PM
So for the last couple of days I've had tradies round the house, Customs has been taking their time on releasing my current inward bound stock and so I've had some time on my hands.
I've managed to learn a few new chords and a riff or 2 in that time but then this popped into my head.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/Cross-Roads_zpsmmbjda10.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr6WlHUTulA

GeneralKaos
24-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Homebrew= cheaper beer :D

Drinking a Founders All Day I.P.A at the moment.... noice

Founders Brewery is about 4 miles (6.44 km) from my house. The Breakfast stout is pretty tasty too!

Dedman
14-05-2016, 07:08 PM
So, talk about pink guitars on the forum got me thinking about one of the guitarist from Aldious , Toki and her pink Flying Vee's. She used to play a Gibson when I first saw them(2010) but has gone over to other flavours in the last few years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNBkbIRoRo0
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/aldious_zps8nck6jwo.jpg

Dedman
16-05-2016, 06:53 PM
this an edit from a render in actual size to show the detail *this was never a photo and no photo's were used
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/very-close_zpsh6floplj.jpg

wokkaboy
16-05-2016, 06:59 PM
you are a very talented artist Dedman, how many hours to paintshop that ?

Dedman
16-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Thanks Wokka
It's not paint shop. it's 3d (the textures were made in Photoshop but they are wrapped around a 3D figure), they can walk/move about and can be lip synced to talk. :)

This particular model is a Moderator and Tea Lady on my knife forum :)

To see more friend me on Facebook (Ron Salter) and mention Pitbull or I might think you are a middle eastern prince needing to get his money out of the country

Dedman
23-05-2016, 02:26 PM
It was World Wide Goth Day today so......
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/goth-day_zpss2wbtlns.jpg

SIMpleONe89
30-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Incredible work Dedman! I used to do some 3D modelling and animation about 13 years ago but that's already long gone.

Dedman
30-05-2016, 08:48 PM
Incredible work Dedman! I used to do some 3D modelling and animation about 13 years ago but that's already long gone.

'Thanks Simon I started in about 2002 I think. Did it for a living for short while (selling content) but that took the fun out of it. I still do some commission stuff (art work) but only if the subject matter appeals to me and I'm given plenty of freedom. I can't do art to order :P

Dedman
13-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Still working on perfecting skin

EricB
13-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Damn thats cool Dedman!

In my spare time, i like cars..
At the moment i have a Mk2 Focus RS in white
and a Fiesta ST in black

Dedman
13-07-2016, 06:00 PM
When the weather is fine.........
These are 45's a Smith and a Remington
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Collection/45s_zpstem1stwy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/cowboy_zps47bf07d1.jpg
some 357's (the lever action and the revolvers) , double barrel 12 gauge and a 45/70 Sharps buffalo rifle, we shoot all of those in the one match, and sometimes add a 2 shot Derringer pistol as well.

DaveyCustom
20-07-2016, 08:46 PM
Nice!!

Dave Henry
Davey Custom Guitars

PBG kits
#1) RCA-4 "Kilmister One" April 2016 GOTM winner

Dedman
27-07-2016, 06:48 PM
Weather was too crappy to do much today, got an email to say the new Kinoco Hotel album had been shipped today so I got inspired to do a portrait of the singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqPJZoyHgv4

Dedman
12-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Haven't done any art for a while so.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Gretsch-Girl_zpsthgolno1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Skool-Biker_zpsiatpeu4m.jpg

Dedman
24-10-2016, 07:40 PM
No guitars on the go...this is what happens
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/asian-latex_zpslsqxzeul.jpg

Andy40
29-10-2016, 04:53 AM
Nice work Deddy, the blonde hair on the bike chick looks great! also looks hard.

corsair
29-10-2016, 05:30 AM
When the weather is fine.........
These are 45's a Smith and a Remington
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Collection/45s_zpstem1stwy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/cowboy_zps47bf07d1.jpg
some 357's (the lever action and the revolvers) , double barrel 12 gauge and a 45/70 Sharps buffalo rifle, we shoot all of those in the one match, and sometimes add a 2 shot Derringer pistol as well.

CAS?? Love watching it but bloody hopeless at actually doing it! I had to leave all of my longarms behind when we left NZ for Europe some years ago and need to,go and get 'em back from the various friends who have them! Though I really only want the Anschutz K-Hornet and Parker-Hale .243 back!

I have my grandfathers old s/s hammergun here - that's a whole other story!!

My night time reading at the moment is a treatise on dangerous game calibres and how to use 'em; I'm fascinated by these hand cannons to an unseemly degree; I'd love to go on safari but with a camera... as long as my guide had a big, honking double to watch my back while I sneak up on stuff with claws, teeth and horns!!

FrankenWashie
29-10-2016, 06:42 AM
Damn thats cool Dedman!

In my spare time, i like cars..
At the moment i have a Mk2 Focus RS in white
and a Fiesta ST in black

The Focus RS interests me as a potential replacement for my GT when that needs to move on, but I've not fallen out of love with my GT yet so that may be a while coming!

Zandit75
29-10-2016, 07:02 AM
The Focus RS interests me as a potential replacement for my GT when that needs to move on, but I've not fallen out of love with my GT yet so that may be a while coming!

The mustang doesn't do anything for you Frank? I love the new RS, but my current favorite performance car is the new Audi RS3 Sedan that was just released. It's not going to be here for another 12mths, and I need the wife to kick the bucket so I can afford one!!! :p
http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/750x422/quality/95/https://s.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/408/110/9/S4081109/slug/l/03-2018-audi-rs3-sedan-paris-1.jpg

FrankenWashie
29-10-2016, 07:51 AM
The mustang doesn't do anything for you Frank? I love the new RS, but my current favorite performance car is the new Audi RS3 Sedan that was just released. It's not going to be here for another 12mths, and I need the wife to kick the bucket so I can afford one!!! :p
http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/750x422/quality/95/https://s.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/408/110/9/S4081109/slug/l/03-2018-audi-rs3-sedan-paris-1.jpg

Oh it very much does Z-man, but my little one's car seat will not fit in the back of it.:(

Dedman
31-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Did this one this evening. One for the Explorer crew

stan
31-10-2016, 08:21 PM
Dedman, your artwork is awesome

wazkelly
31-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Geez, you got the Heritage Cherry Explorer spot on with such fine detail too. Love your work.

Any plans to make one of these for your own collection one day?

Dedman
31-10-2016, 09:14 PM
One day Waz, space is becoming the final frontier atm

wazkelly
01-11-2016, 04:33 PM
New age space invaders these guitar kits.

Dedman
03-11-2016, 02:07 PM
oops, I forgot to put a guitar in this one :P
"bored"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/New-Latex_zpsnlxkebsj.jpg

Dedman
27-11-2016, 08:11 PM
too hot to work on guitars, so..............

wazkelly
27-11-2016, 08:14 PM
Now that is seriously lowered.

Dedman
09-12-2016, 08:12 PM
new camera :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/DSC_0024_zpshbvbktnf.jpg

Dedman
23-01-2017, 08:21 PM
so , still to hot for guitar building, so ..... Have done a few more but aren't rated G
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/GangstaDT_zpsk9fcwgsc.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/blonde%20vamp_zpswr1cckep.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Dead-Queen_zpsghdpfmna.jpg

close up to show detail
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/very-close_zpsh6floplj.jpg

stan
24-01-2017, 04:15 AM
Love your work Dedman, and who doesnt like impractically clad?

gavinturner
24-01-2017, 05:34 AM
Amazing work Deddy. I'm in awe.

cheers,
Gav.

Hobastard
25-01-2017, 04:08 PM

My Mistress......

andrewdosborne
25-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Awesome artwork Dedman, I'm still drawing stick people (badly)!

Sent from my Moto G4 Plus using Tapatalk

Dedman
31-01-2017, 05:34 PM
I've started a Facebook page for my art and guitar builds here:
https://www.facebook.com/dedmanstudios/
Still a heap of stuff to upload to it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/Bad-Elf-2_zpsa88sjgq2.jpg

Dedman
07-04-2017, 02:32 PM
Haven't done much (that I could post here) of late but here's another evil woman :)

pablopepper
20-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Fairly new hobby, my brother and I have recently gotten into building replica movie props. We have been Star Wars obsessed since a very early age, so that seemed like a logical place to start. Recent acquisition of a 3d printer has helped somewhat.

http://i.imgur.com/FanF9ar.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pCOUF3K.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AnlVQME.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bbNig02.jpg

Most of these are not finished, but getting there. Bonus nerd points if you can name all of those things!

wokkaboy
20-04-2017, 01:26 PM
looks good Pabs and got no idea what that are all called my nerd levels are way lower hahha

WeirdBits
20-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Han's DL-44, Royal Guard, Fett's lid, and an elegant weapon for a more civilised age.

And, amazing work!

pablopepper
20-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Weirdy wins the points!
http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/auto/r/786x0/1/b/1b57f_ORIG-you_win_1_internet.jpg

wokkaboy
20-04-2017, 01:55 PM
trust Weirdy to win the points hahah nerd alert hahah

Dedman
20-04-2017, 01:59 PM
great work Weirdy!

Zandit75
20-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Wow, I could identify them all, but not the model number of the blaster!!

corsair
20-04-2017, 04:23 PM
That top one has taken its styling cues from the broomhandle Mauser....

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/equipment/dbe08.htm

pablopepper
20-04-2017, 05:15 PM
That's because it is one with a few extra bits stuck on! Tons of old school sci fi props are repurposed existing items. The lightsaber, for example, is most of a Graflex brand camera flash with some 'greeblies'.
https://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi128.photobucket.co m%2Falbums%2Fp170%2FObi-Juan%2FUntitled-2.jpg&hash=1bb5399498b864e541db98eb5985fa7f

Fretworn
21-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Pabs, I have a friend who is a professional prop maker and set dresser. He has worked on most of the big films that have been made in Australia - the Wolverine movies, the Star Wars prequels, Babe 2, Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

billb
21-04-2017, 05:18 PM
Speaking of nerdy hobbies - I still build plastic model planes...
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/bbfrms/N%20AW%20A-10/20130506_A10_044_zpsa22bf5b2.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/bbfrms/media/N%20AW%20A-10/20130506_A10_044_zpsa22bf5b2.jpg.html)

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/bbfrms/2012-07-08153023.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/bbfrms/media/2012-07-08153023.jpg.html)

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/bbfrms/2012-07-02185437.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/bbfrms/media/2012-07-02185437.jpg.html)

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/bbfrms/F-4B%20Academy/DSC_0001_zps835f1833.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/bbfrms/media/F-4B%20Academy/DSC_0001_zps835f1833.jpg.html)

Simon Barden
21-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Nice work, Bill. Some great detailing work. Do you leave the kits as standard or get the extra bits to super-detail them?

I love the A-10. Never seen a 2-seat version before. Back in '91, I was witnessing on a large job in Cambridgeshire, UK, during the Desert Shield/Desert Storm period. The US A-10s and F-15Es from Lakenheath were often flying over the site, which was next to a huge unused railway marshalling yard. Being a very flat part of the country, the planes were practising low flying at maybe often only 50-100ft. The A-10s would often do a really tight 180° turns within maybe two plane lengths, great to see.

billb
26-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Thanks Simon. That would have been a seriously spectacular sight seeing them carrying on on like that.

Most of the models have a lot of extra bits added, some from the aftermarket industry, some scratched out of wire, plastic etc. This shows a lot of scratchbuilding on a different kit.
http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/galleries/flycatcher48bb_1.htm

The 2-seat A-10 was a prototype to see if Fairchild could get orders for it - they couldn;t. I think only 1 or 2 were made.

Kick
26-04-2017, 12:15 PM
In my teens I used to build model airplanes as well. I only did Phantoms since I love the design of that fighterplane.

dave.king1
26-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Given that there are a couple of plane nuts ( apart from myself ) here's a few pics I took last Sunday ( 23/04 ) at Caboolture airfield

dave.king1
26-04-2017, 02:44 PM
The P51 sounded amazing and I could just about touch the wing tip as it taxied past

dave.king1
26-04-2017, 02:46 PM

http://vid210.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/suthol/20170423_131719_zpsnwguz2kj.mp4

I also got some flight video on my phone but because of the glare it was all miss and no hit :(

Zandit75
26-04-2017, 07:07 PM
Nice looking MIG17, but what's the blue one in your last post? Looks like a Douglas SBD Dauntless, but not quite.

Simon Barden
26-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Just a Harvard trainer I think, in US Navy colours (so really an SNJ). Two bladed prop, not the 3- or 4-bladed ones of the similar looking combat aircraft.

billb
26-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Looks like a great day out Dave! Love the SE5 replica.

Zandit, I'd say it's a T-6 Texan/Harvard.

edit - Simon beat me to it while I was looking at the pretty pictures :) Out of interest the T-6 was developed out of the same aircraft as the Australian Wirraway.

Zandit75
26-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Nicely spotted guys! I knew I had the wrong plane, but it was the only one that was close enough.

Simon Barden
26-04-2017, 07:52 PM
It's a shame no-one seems to make true rotary engines that would fit a lot of WW1 replicas. Instead they often use a flat-4 Lycoming engine, sometimes adding fake non-rotating cylinders, or sometimes (as in the case of the red DR-1) not.

dave.king1
27-04-2017, 05:48 AM
The Fokker is having a replica motor built which should be in for next years event, the SE5a, Camel & Fokker flew together.

There was also an Me190e that was very impressive both on the ground and in the air, if I have a pic of it I'll put it up

corsair
27-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Thanks for sharing those!! I love piston engined aircraft, especially W2 single seaters!

The Wirraway - and the Boomerang - were developed from the Harvard and were flown into combat against the Japanese Type 0 and Kawasaki 61s by some very, very brave men....

I was lucky enough to attend a couple of airshows when we lived in Europe and loved seeing the Vulcan and the Red Arrows, but the W2 piston engines are very well represented in Aus and NZ; there's a lovely airworthy Wirraway in Caboolture...

I like 'em so much - and am in such awe of the men who flew 'em during the war - that I did a homage to my father; a W2 Kittyhawk & Corsair pilot, on an old Vantage guitar...

Dedman
27-04-2017, 07:41 PM
I used to build model planes but being a weirdo I gave them hot rod paint jobs and decals and used their decals on hot rod models.

Zandit75
10-05-2017, 09:05 PM
I've recently taken the midlife decision to get myself back into some form of shape, not just round and squishy in places!
A little bit of history first!
When I first met my wife to be, she had been taking kickboxing lessons for around 12mths. I'd had a fascination with martial arts from a very young age thanks to cheesy ninja movies and novels.
I started going to classes as well and fell in love with Viet Vo Doa, a Vietnamese style of martial arts that started as a result of Ghengis Khan. According to our Vo Su(Master), Vietnam and Japan were the only two countries to defeat him.
I practiced VVD for about 10yrs overall, with a small break in the middle. I eventually got my black belt, and started training for my red sash(similar to a 1st Dan in karate) when I was transferred to a different branch at work. This included a lot of travel and stopped me from being able to attend classes. Eventually it became permanent when we moved house and my wife also changed jobs.
Thanks to the transfer and promotion, I had no chance to train and the "executive spread" started!
I've tried occasionally to get back into shape, even tried another style of martial arts near where we were living after I changed jobs but I didn't like the instructors way of teaching, so I stopped completely.
Fast forward 10yrs or so, and we're back to the present, and I'm feeling bored with my life, and needing something to spice things back up.
Aside from suggesting things to the missus that raised some eyebrows:cool: a friend on Facebook posted up a short video of one of her club members doing some kicks, so I started doing some checking. The club is only 10mins from home, and they mix things up between Kung Fu, Brazilian Jujitsu and MMA cage fighting techniques.
Wow, what a group! It's been so fun getting back into things and everyone is so supportive and encouraging. I'm surprised at how many people I know who attend that I went to School with, and the new style and techniques are surprisingly similar and feel pretty natural to transition to.
During my first lesson, I started learning arm bars and grapple style take downs, something I'd never done before, and even though it's been 10yrs since doing anything similar, I think they are impressed with what I'm remembering through muscle memory. While my aerobic capacity leaves alot to be desired, my technique and control is something I've particularly happy with.
Here's a couple of photos from tonight's session.

wazkelly
10-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Ahhh, very nice, grasshopper.

FrankenWashie
10-05-2017, 09:56 PM
On ya Z. I used to do Chen style tai chi, keep meaning to pick it up again but never find the time.

Zandit75
11-05-2017, 04:02 AM
Ahhh, very nice, grasshopper.

You know, I haven't been called that one before! I keep getting Daniel-san

On ya Z. I used to do Chen style tai chi, keep meaning to pick it up again but never find the time.

Yep, that's the killer, finding the time. It's a great way to clear the head, and just release any tensions and frustrations throughout the session!

Dedman
11-05-2017, 04:14 PM
I do Ti-Shu. That is, I bend over and tie my laces, that's my work out done. :)

Zandit75
11-05-2017, 05:11 PM

Bahahaha!!!!! Love it!!

wazkelly
11-05-2017, 08:38 PM

And how about the other one that sounds similar but requires sitting down???

Presume you do that workout on a regular basis too? (Pun intended)

Simon Barden
11-05-2017, 08:59 PM
There's also my pastime of winding and tying up bits of string until they resemble a small cute breed of toy dog. Yes, I Shih Tzu knot.

Dedman
21-05-2017, 08:50 AM
all this black and white stuff is killin me (had to add some extra hair to keep with the General rating for here and FB)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/killer-post_zpsrzrp7vvk.jpg

FrankenWashie
21-05-2017, 09:34 AM
There's also my pastime of winding and tying up bits of string until they resemble a small cute breed of toy dog. Yes, I Shih Tzu knot.

MMM, the pun is strong in this one.

wazkelly
23-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Had me all tied up trying to figure it out.

Dedman
30-05-2017, 07:29 PM
"any one who had a heart.... HAD that is"

yea the darkness is never far away.

wazkelly
30-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Like a bat out of hell.....

Zandit75
31-05-2017, 10:39 AM
all this black and white stuff is killin me (had to add some extra hair to keep with the General rating for here and FB)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Renders/killer-post_zpsrzrp7vvk.jpg

You've got me curious Dedman, how many members have asked for links to your NSFW images?!!:rolleyes::cool:

Dedman
31-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Zandit, I used to run a forum of my own (for knife collectors) and the guys always wanted less clothing on my renders LOL. These days I don't have anywhere to post my stuff as the 3D site I was a member of closed , Facebook doesn't allow nipples but is OK with gore, go figure.
I may offer these as small stickers, just the right size to fit on a Strat trem cover.....

Dedman
31-05-2017, 11:59 AM
I sent this knife blank( finished high end Falkniven blade) to a friend in WA to make handles for it. I also sent some brass mosaic tube and a block of dyed spalted maple. This is what he sent back along with the left over wood which , when my plug cutters arrive will get made into fretboard markers.

Dikkybee007
03-06-2017, 05:39 PM
Raced mini bikes when I was a lot younger but was a money pit that my parents didn't have. When I got a job I had 2 cars that I sunk way too much money into. I had a 77 Escort panel van that I did up that would rev out to 9,000 RPM that I raced at Calder Raceway with my 78 XC Falcon that had a warmish 351 Clevo (Gods Motor) and I used both to get to work. Back in the day it cost me roughly $80 a week to go to work which isn't bad by today's standards but that was when petrol was only 15 cents a litre and a round trip to work was only 60 Kms. The Escort would do the 1/4 in roughly 14 secs and my XC was just a tad faster in the 12 - 13 mark, but that was before I got married. Now being older I drive a sensible Hyundai IX35 but would like to redo my Escort. Still have Escort in a shed and sold my XC to get my first guitar amp. Was a keen shooter until again I sank way too much money into it and the price of ammo went through the roof. Did modify an old Mauser from a 7.65 to a 338-06. Barrel work done by gunsmith and I did all the rest. Still go to club to shoot but not as much due to money situation. Reload all my own ammo but the prices are just criminal. Got into remote controlled everything, cars , planes , copters and again way too much money. Still go out from time to time but to keep up you need a good paying job. Was an avid golfer with an 8 handicap but most of the people I played with either died or need some sort of replacement, hip, knee so am just waiting for operations or new friends. Played A grade darts for a few seasons and I saw a lot of interesting people and at one pub we played at, the pub was shot at by some one so I thought better of it. Still play at home but at least I can shoot back. I have built my own computers since around 1982ish so am a complete computer/ tech nerd but I am not on Facebook as I have a life. Was made redundant last August so money is a little tighter and I now have to save up for guitar builds a lot longer than normal but due to working in the government since 1979, did Apprenticeship at the Ordnance Factory Maribyrnong, worked at Department of housing and construction which then changed to Asset Services and then finished up at CSIRO for the last 22 years. I have enough Super so I don't need to work just get paid less and all before I was 55. Now am an avid computer gamer and house maintainer as wife still has to work to keep me in the lifestyle I have grown accustomed to. Am about to redo 3 earlier guitar builds and hopefully will be ordering 2 custom guitars soon as I have a couple of ideas that I want to put into reality. Once I have all the guitars I want with a new Vox amp I want to build a few foot pedals and modify my cave to store them and then I think I will be in search of a new hobby if I am allowed and get enough brownie points. Not exactly how I thought my life would work out but can't complain as every day is a Saturday.

Dedman
13-06-2017, 04:30 PM
to rainy for guitars today so...evil women it is.

Fark Fark!

Dedman
14-06-2017, 10:13 AM
still raining..........

Fuzzbeard
14-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Getting my other stringed instrument ready for the weekend https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170614/6f724fcfa9e6b00b34da604605cfd2ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

FrankenWashie
14-06-2017, 09:36 PM
Getting my other stringed instrument ready for the weekend https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170614/6f724fcfa9e6b00b34da604605cfd2ef.jpg

What key do you tune that one in?

wazkelly
15-06-2017, 07:21 PM
What key do you tune that one in?

Probably E flat because anything hit with one of those arrows, 'E would definitely be flattened.

Fuzzbeard
15-06-2017, 08:14 PM
Probably E flat because anything hit with one of those arrows, 'E would definitely be flattened.
So I should be able to play Slayer on it \m/

FrankenWashie
15-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Yowsa! The Pundits are all loosing shafts on this one!

wazkelly
16-06-2017, 08:20 PM
So I should be able to play Slayer on it \m/

Serious looking bit of kit Fuzzy. Are you going hunting for wild pigs around Chinchilla or thereabouts?

Fuzzbeard
16-06-2017, 08:27 PM
Nah just heading out to the club to put some holes in targets

wazkelly
16-06-2017, 08:30 PM
Geez, you could have at least tried to talk it up just for a good yarn if nothing else.

Fuzzbeard
16-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Sorry I don't do the exaggerated pig stories very well.

Dedman
16-06-2017, 09:05 PM
They have just put an archery range in at my pistol club, have thought about having a go but am a bit concerned about my rotorcuff, its the kind of injury that you don't know your getting till its too late.