PDA

View Full Version : Why DB dislikes synthetic finshes....

dingobass
22-01-2015, 03:59 PM
OK, no doubt many of you are wondering what it is I actually have against high gloss, plastic/ acrylic finishes on musical instruments...

Its not just about tone.. Its much more than that.

Firstly, aesthetics.
Look at an old Steinway Piano or a beautifully French polished piece of furniture.
You will notice that it has a warm and natural look about it... It oozes class!
You can see every nuance in the grain and figure because the low sheen natural finish allows light to pick up every detail.
A chunk of tree covered with a high gloss finish reflects more light and effectively "kills" a lot of the grain and figure..
You need some light to actually penetrate and not bounce off the finish to get the most out of a beautiful piece of timber.

Secondly, Timber naturally does not take on a mirror like glassy finish.
Even the hardest Ebony, whilst it will get a shine you can still see the natural warmth of the timber..
As soon as you apply a high gloss plastic coating to timber it becomes un natural and synthetic.
So why take natures beauty and smother it in a layer of synthetic finish?

Finally, the environment..
The manufacture of synthetic finishes creates a lot of environmental toxins and by products....
Then when you use them the gassing off during curing releases more toxins into your environment, many of them can and will cause major health issues.. Ever wondered why a lot of spray painters die younger than the average age?......
When you sand and buff these products, the dust gets into everything, your cloths, hair it even penetrates your skin and enters the blood stream.. That cant be good for you.
And, if you are a parent, why on earth would you want to expose your children to these potential dangers?

This is just a brief overview as to why i dislike synthetic finishes.

wokkaboy
22-01-2015, 04:02 PM
I'll have a read later DB, sure it makes sense. It's all over for me anyway I got 3 x life in the naughty room haha

stan
22-01-2015, 04:05 PM
It all makes perfect sense.
I must admit, I do like a shiny guitar.
However, I must also say that a well finished, more natural look will always get my attention.
Some good points there DB

wokkaboy
22-01-2015, 06:58 PM
I'll take your comments onboard DB, makes good sense. Might try some less glossy finishes on timber with sweet grain and figure

bargeloobs
22-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Tell me this picture ain't beautiful, PROTIP: you can't..

I can see exactly where DB's coming from and I can appreciate it fully.
From my point of view I'd say a guitar finish is about as subjective as the music we listen to, there's no right or wrong, but more a personal preference.

However... if I had a million dollars, I'd lay it on the table to anyone who could actually tell the difference in tone between 2 identical electric guitars finished with different substances.

The environment? Well of course we all want to do what's right for Mother Earth and if there's a product out there that is more eco friendly, well count me in.
It doesn't change the fact that we're ALL driving round in cars, burning fires, spraying aerosols etc etc...
You want to talk about work related illness and death, just look at any farmer who was using flystrike treatment (more commonly known as DDT or agent orange) throughout the 70's and 80's and wonder why they're all falling over dead at 50 or younger, not to mention any of the poor pricks who were unfortunate enough to have to handle that sheep (namely the shearer) whilst it was carrying that deadly residue.

I want what's best for the Earth and I want what's best for my kids but at the end of the day we can't have our cake and eat it too.
Something radical needs to happen, and until it does we're all doomed.

Brendan
22-01-2015, 07:42 PM
So a range of DingoTone satins on the way DB? Would love to see them!

Brendan
22-01-2015, 07:44 PM
BTW - Barge - love the look of that ?PRS? It is yummy - still find myself in a guitar shop with the acoustics looking at the satin finishes - to me just makes the wood the hero - not the finish. Also hides fingermarks better ;) .

dingobass
22-01-2015, 08:03 PM
What you had to say is true, Bargie..... But.
It starts with us here and now making the descision to change... To decide not to buy into the media driven gotta have this product mentality...
If we just decided to walk to the shops (when possible), chose to buy products that are not wrapped in ten miles of plastic, bought food that is not processed..... I could go on...
I, for my part have made the choice not to use chemicals and you know what? My health is improving... Now if only i could kick the cigarettes!
In short, we can have our cake and eat it too.
We just have to make the choice.

bargeloobs
22-01-2015, 08:24 PM
What you had to say is true, Bargie..... But.
It starts with us here and now making the descision to change... To decide not to buy into the media driven gotta have this product mentality...
If we just decided to walk to the shops (when possible), chose to buy products that are not wrapped in ten miles of plastic, bought food that is not processed..... I could go on...
I, for my part have made the choice not to use chemicals and you know what? My health is improving... Now if only i could kick the cigarettes!
In short, we can have our cake and eat it too.
We just have to make the choice.

I'm with you DB, if the Dingotone, works out I'll personally put an end to using solvent based aerosols and lacquers.
Now you do me a favour, if you're dead serious about chucking away the smokes check this out ..

http://www.mediafire.com/download/46h0mcm6w5x6s9d/The_Easy_Way_To_Stop_Smoking_By_Alan_Carr.rar

I was a heavy smoker of 20+ years and a friend gave me this book, I read it and I haven't had a cigarette in 3 1/2 years.
If you truly want to quit this guy will give you all the tools you need to do so, I promise.

dingobass
22-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Cheers Bargie, i will check it out :)
Down from a pack of 30 a day to 10-15 but that last hurdle has been like trying to jump over Centrepoint Tower...
Tried the tablets, patches and a few oomy goomy hairy armpitted hippy treatment with no luck so i am more than happy to give this a try!

bargeloobs
22-01-2015, 09:00 PM
I wish I had of had this audio version when I was doing it, not that I object to reading but there's something about being "read to" that I find appealing (I guess it stems from childhood).
Patches and gum are bullshit man and GP's should be ashamed for prescribing them, we don't give junkies heroin to help them quit do we?
If you really want to quit and never smoke again, listen to this all the way through, he even encourages you to smoke right till the end.

keloooe
11-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Perfectly agree with DB

Andy40
23-10-2015, 12:04 PM
My wife an I (both smokers for 20 years) read that book in May 2010....haven't picked up a ciggy....nay.....haven't even wanted to pick up a smoke in over 5 years now.

Alm_63
23-10-2015, 02:10 PM
I know exactly where DB is coming from, I grew up In a house with a beautiful rosewood 100 year+ old German upright grand piano.
French polished to perfection!!!!!!