PDA

View Full Version : Have you wondered why we sometimes get fret buzz

kimball492
20-01-2015, 06:15 AM
Check this short video out

http://digg.com/video/what-guitar-strings-are-doing-up-close?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=facebook

Scott J.
20-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Great clip Kimball, most excellent ... thanks for that rarely seen view of what's actually happening.

wokkaboy
20-01-2015, 02:29 PM
yeah its pretty amazing how much the strings move and vibrate in like a sine/cosine wave. I saw something similar on FB some guy put his iphone inside an acoustic guitar and filmed out of the sound hole you could see the waves in the strings

DrNomis_44
20-01-2015, 06:22 PM
I'll have to agree with you guys, I didn't think the strings, particularly the thicker E,A,and D strings, would be able to vibrate like they do in the video clip, it stands to reason that when an open string is plucked, it will vibrate at the fundamental pitch as well as at all the harmonics too, have you ever seen what the signal from an electric guitar looks like on the screen of an Oscilloscope?, I might post a pic in this thread once I get myself a new digital camera.

pablopepper
20-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Sorry to burst the bubble guys, but its an optical illusion caused by the frame rate of the camera.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagon-wheel_effect

kimball492
20-01-2015, 11:27 PM
Now come on Pablo don't spoil it for us lol heres Plek showing similar movement but taken with high speed camera and strobe.
Hopefully a more realistic example

P.s Pablo what's the picture of the Owl about

pablopepper
21-01-2015, 05:19 AM
Sorry Kimball. ;) I think you forgot to link the vid you mentioned.

I like owls, and this one sort of looks like I feel most of the time. Not much of a story really.

kells80aus
21-01-2015, 05:56 AM
:D

The reality is the strings do move those inordinate distance, if not in the sign wave pattern shown on the iphone, but in a wave the
length of the fretted string.

I had always thought the reason I get occasional fret buzz, apart from when you hit the strings too hard, but because I wasn't holding the string firmly enough behind the fret. :)

PK's tuppence worth

Rob L
21-01-2015, 11:06 AM
I've always known why I get fret buzz. My action is set so low you can't get a dollar bill in between the fretboard and strings. :D

stan
21-01-2015, 05:50 PM
I get fret buzz because I am a crap player....

kimball492
22-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Hey Pablo used to have a long eared owl and buzzard that where injured . Trouble is returning them back to the wild after there recuperation. Beautiful birds . Sorry I must of forgotten to add link here you go .
http://youtu.be/FrG4BnvfXsQ

pablopepper
23-01-2015, 05:04 AM
Oh, I always assumed that you were in Australia, Kimball. Obviously with animals like that, I was wrong. Long eared owls are spectacular looking creatures, great stuff mate.

kimball492
23-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Hi Pablo I'm in Australia currently , but the Owls and buzzards where Europe based. How right you are stunning creatures.

dingobass
23-01-2015, 08:59 AM
My dream is to add Raptors to my already extensive bird collection....
However, the Minister for War and Finance may object... 32 birds is enough according to herself :)

wokkaboy
23-01-2015, 09:12 AM
DB you have BAS - bird aquisition syndrome
Your bird collection is about 3 times the quantity of your bass collection !