PDA

View Full Version : RC 1 pup upgrade

gazzman
17-01-2015, 06:39 AM
Hi guys
Considering getting an RC 1 kit and want to upgrade the pups. Still want the jangly sound but open to suggestions
Have considered P 90 type or Alnicos
I believe the ohmage should around 5 to 7.5
Any forumites with experience or tips please
Cheers for now
Gazzman

Brendan
17-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Gazz - be careful - the RC-1 is a mini 'bucker - they're smaller than normal humbuckers. As for what type - no idea - too many strings for me :).

kells80aus
17-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Hi Gazzmn,
from experience mini humbuckers are not a big ticket item on fleacebay or the Net. I have two chrome ones for one of my scratch builds, but they are cheap chinese builds. It is hit and miss with what you get from china, mine are Belcats. so they came out of the big factory that most of the name brads come out of. UNless you are prepared to pay $100 a pup then this is where yo need to look.
Given the RC1 has a full sized humbucker route a Humbucker P90 will fil the bill. BUT, you will get pick up hum. I would sugest you source a split coil Humbucker and get a Seymour Duncan tripple shot pick up surrounds with coil swithcing.
alternately 2 P-90s so they noise cancel. I have a scratch build with a Kent Armstorng P90 at neck and a Seymour Duncan P-Rail at the bridge. it is a very nice sounding guitar. not my best(the PBG Gypsy P90 is the best)

Cheers PK

gazzman
18-01-2015, 06:45 AM
Thanks Brendan
I'll ask for the specs on the pup rout cavity from DB or Adam
More research required befor I buy the kit but problems are there to be solved
Cheers
Gazzman

gazzman
18-01-2015, 06:57 AM
Thanks Paul for your good advice and leads
I'll go down the shielding pathway so that should dampen the hum
I'm leaning to the p 90s but will check out the p rails and the split buckers
What sort of kit was your scratch build?
By the way that's quite a pedigree you have
Cheers
Gazzman