PDA

View Full Version : Testing Hardware Options

adam
15-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Check out the standard TL-1, now with Hardware/No Hardware Options.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-tl-1-electric-guitar-kit/

Keen to hear what you all think about the options, prices (remember they are likely to go up) and functionality.

WeirdBits
15-01-2015, 07:56 PM
Can the system handle three menus? Hardware (chrome/black/gold), Pickguard (yes/no), Pickups (yes/no). Maybe even include 'electronics' as part of the Pickups option, as people upgrading their pickups will likely be upgrading the pots, switches and caps as well.

I like how the image changes to reflect the hardware choice, very useful, and the clear price change is good too.

wokkaboy
15-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Ads some nice options there, I'm liking it. What Weirdy said about 3 menu's may be easier for some users but I like the options available should suit most customers needs. Look forward to seeing these options for some other popular models

adam
15-01-2015, 08:43 PM
We can do 3 separate menus as you suggest, Weirdy, but pricing can't be linked between them. So, that won't work with our current platform. We would have to do it on one menu. I'll play around some more tomorrow and see what we can do.

Brendan
15-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Ads - you will need to be clear with some people - even when they have selected "I don't need no stinkin hardware", when the list below says you get hardware, someone will try it on with "why didn't I get hardware"...

Can you make the list of the kits stock with no hardware, but the selection is "add" with "chrome" hardware automatically "added", but an option to remove all hardware? Clear as mud?

Thinking "Add to my order:"
with the options being:
"Nothing - I'm happy with just the body and neck"
"Chrome hardware and pickups but no pickguard"
"Chrome hardware and pickups and white pickguard"
"Chrome hardware, white pickguard, but no pickups"
"Black hardware, pickups and pickguard"
"Gold hardware, pickups and psychedelic pink pickguard"

Brendan
15-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Alternatively Adam, you might be able to get around Weirdbits' idea without 3 lists - use 2 tick boxes for the add pickup, pickguard. Not sure how that will work, but it might be dealt with differently within the software.

wokkaboy
15-01-2015, 09:29 PM
good idea Bman, best that the option description is clear and concise so the customer knows exactly what they are/aren't getting in the order

metalhead
16-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Agree with the comments above, but looks good. A little surprised at black hardware being $20 (making black hardware effectively $50 compared to $30 for chrome) more than chrome as it's normally roughly the same price to buy elsewhere, but I don't know the difference in cost to you, and it's still great to have the option. If you wanted my suggestion, I wouldn't have blinked at $10-15 difference. Price drop without the hardware is good I think, not extreme but a good saving for those who want to upgrade or use hardware they already own. Pickups don't drop much off the price, but I assume they don't cost you much, and I think most people will be happy just to get a small saving and not have the stock pups lying around if they plan to upgrade straight away. Can't comment on the gold hardware price as I've never been much interested in gold hardware and don't know what it would normally cost!

I definitely think having the options separated would be the ideal choice, but I think the single drop down would work. Would be good to have all the options (e.g. Black hardware, no pups, no scratchplate) available.

One thought I had - offering kits without hardware, do you want to provide undrilled kits or list the specs of the holes in the kits (post spacing, stud diameter etc)?

metalhead
16-01-2015, 06:46 AM
Out of interest, is there any possibility of nickel and black nickel options? Easy enough to buy separately if not, and maybe not a big enough seller to be worthwhile, just curious.

bargeloobs
16-01-2015, 06:53 AM
One thought I had - offering kits without hardware, do you want to provide undrilled kits or list the specs of the holes in the kits (post spacing, stud diameter etc)?

There's a subject I've brought up in the past (more than once) is the quality of the hole placement (especially the headstock's). Not sure if anything's been mentioned to the suppliers but in my opinion, if they can't get it right they should just leave it.

adam
16-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Bargeloobs, yes, the factory has been told about the poor headstock shaping and the mis-aligned holes. We'll see how this next lot turns out, hopefully we'll see an improvement.

If everyone wants non-drilled headstocks, then we can certainly request that, however, I would think that most first timers would want the holes drilled.

bargeloobs
16-01-2015, 07:05 AM
B however, I would think that most first timers would want the holes drilled.

Most definitely, it'd be unfair to expect someone totally new to the world of guitar building to have to do this themselves.
Hey, at least it's been brought to their attention, that's all you can do.

metalhead
16-01-2015, 07:06 AM
That would be my preference too (actually regardless of whether it's right, particularly for tuners as it gives more flexibility), but I suspect there may be a concern that it might put off some less experienced or first time builders.

metalhead
16-01-2015, 07:07 AM
Haha, beat me to it.

adam
16-01-2015, 07:22 AM
Agree with the comments above, but looks good. A little surprised at black hardware being $20 (making black hardware effectively $50 compared to $30 for chrome) more than chrome as it's normally roughly the same price to buy elsewhere, but I don't know the difference in cost to you, and it's still great to have the option. If you wanted my suggestion, I wouldn't have blinked at $10-15 difference. Price drop without the hardware is good I think, not extreme but a good saving for those who want to upgrade or use hardware they already own. Pickups don't drop much off the price, but I assume they don't cost you much, and I think most people will be happy just to get a small saving and not have the stock pups lying around if they plan to upgrade straight away. Can't comment on the gold hardware price as I've never been much interested in gold hardware and don't know what it would normally cost!

I definitely think having the options separated would be the ideal choice, but I think the single drop down would work. Would be good to have all the options (e.g. Black hardware, no pups, no scratchplate) available.

The Gold and Black hardware packs are listed in Hardware Upgrades, so the prices are clearly stated ($79.95 and $49.95 respectively for the TL hardware). Chrome packs are nominally valued at $29.95, but really they are not worth anything outside of a kit. Hence the $20 difference. We effectively buy thousands of chrome packs (they come in the kits) but only a few dozen black kits. So, the black is going to be more expensive than chrome.

metalhead
16-01-2015, 07:40 AM
No worries, makes sense. Wouldn't stop me from buying by any means, you asked for thoughts on prices, and that was my thought when looking at it. If the chrome will still be included in all kits that you get from your supplier, are you concerned about getting swamped in leftover chrome hardware?

adam
16-01-2015, 08:11 AM
No worries, makes sense. Wouldn't stop me from buying by any means, you asked for thoughts on prices, and that was my thought when looking at it. If the chrome will still be included in all kits that you get from your supplier, are you concerned about getting swamped in leftover chrome hardware?

Yes, that will happen, but then we can just order some kits without hardware.

Fretworn
16-01-2015, 09:26 AM
The Gold and Black hardware packs are listed in Hardware Upgrades, so the prices are clearly stated ($79.95 and $49.95 respectively for the TL hardware). Chrome packs are nominally valued at $29.95, but really they are not worth anything outside of a kit. Hence the $20 difference. We effectively buy thousands of chrome packs (they come in the kits) but only a few dozen black kits. So, the black is going to be more expensive than chrome.

I'd have to agree with Metalhead on this. From a pure pricing sense I'd be increasing the price of the standard kit with standard hardware, and but keep the prices of the other options the same. It would be increasing the margin on the standard kit, but it would make the prices of the different options look more "right" to me. But I don't know how the software works, so that may not work without messing with the prices of the individual pickguards and hardware (which are look about right).

adam
16-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Hey Fretworn, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. When you say you agree with Metalhead, what are you in agreement with?

metalhead
16-01-2015, 12:18 PM
I think he's suggesting increasing the price of the kit with chrome hardware (say by $10) such that there isn't such a big gap between the cost of chrome hardware and black/gold. Win win as you increase the margin on your most common kit sales, and look like you're offering a better deal on the black, gold, and no hardware options. Makes a lot of sense to me actually!

fatmunkey
16-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Works well, but you might want to revise the "kit includes" section, as it could read that you get tuners etc even with the no hardware option.

adam
16-01-2015, 06:16 PM
I think he's suggesting increasing the price of the kit with chrome hardware (say by $10) such that there isn't such a big gap between the cost of chrome hardware and black/gold. Win win as you increase the margin on your most common kit sales, and look like you're offering a better deal on the black, gold, and no hardware options. Makes a lot of sense to me actually!

Ok, I hear ya, but I don't want to increase the base price on the kit with chrome hardware. I'll see if I can get a deal on the black and gold hardware and bring the price gap down a bit.

Thanks for all the feedback, this is great.

The hardware option is already working as we had an order today for a TL-1 with gold hardware.

adam
16-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Works well, but you might want to revise the "kit includes" section, as it could read that you get tuners etc even with the no hardware option.

Thanks fatmunkey, that's a good point. I'll change that to make it clearer. Might play around tonight, so maybe you could check back tomorrow and let me know what you think.

adam
16-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Ok guys, let me know what you think. I believe I've addressed everyone's concerns and good ideas.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-tl-1-electric-guitar-kit/

It's very time consuming to do this way, so we'll slowly introduce across the ST, TL, LP, SG and EX kits first, then include other popular kits as we go. It will take a lot of new photography as well, so please be patient.

If you want a kit with different options in the meantime, just email me and we can work it out manually.

Thanks again for all your feedback, it really is greatly appreciated.

metalhead
16-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Looks great now, with the separate menus, and the hardware pricing is closer to what I would have expected. You could probably make the pearloid pickguards a small additional cost ($5?) if that would help business, I suspect that most people would expect to pay a little extra for it over a standard pickguard anyway?

metalhead
16-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Just noticed the changed descriptions as to what comes with the kit too, that's much better, looks great! Offers a lot more flexibility, I know this is a lot of work, but it's excellent to see as a buyer. I really think this will be a big selling point for you.

adam
16-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Looks great now, with the separate menus, and the hardware pricing is closer to what I would have expected. You could probably make the pearloid pickguards a small additional cost ($5?) if that would help business, I suspect that most people would expect to pay a little extra for it over a standard pickguard anyway?

Yeah, if I add another price option, say for the pickguards, then the combinations needed are increased exponentially, so instead of say 9 options it becomes 27, which is just too many to be practical over almost 100 products. I'm happy for customers to have a win on the pickguards to save me losing my mind managing all the options.

Also, not sure who raised it, but I decided not to include electronics (pots and caps) as an option, they are of no value outside of the kit so there wouldn't be a saving by removing them.

Anyhoo, I'll set up the ST-1 kits tomorrow and we'll run with it for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks again! Lovin' the teamwork on this task.

metalhead
17-01-2015, 05:52 AM
Fair call on the pickguards. It would be worth noting in the "kit includes" that the electronics are included as well.

adam
17-01-2015, 06:13 AM
The electronics are listed in the hardware section. They physically come with the hardware packs.

keloooe
17-01-2015, 07:21 AM
Adam, the menu on the Tl-1 is great! Having the option to get or not get something in the same order is really convenient!

Big thumbs up from me!

fatmunkey
18-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Looking good mate :)

Rob L
19-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Ok guys, let me know what you think. I believe I've addressed everyone's concerns and good ideas.

It's very time consuming to do this way, so we'll slowly introduce across the ST, TL, LP, SG and EX kits first, then include other popular kits as we go. It will take a lot of new photography as well, so please be patient.

If you want a kit with different options in the meantime, just email me and we can work it out manually.

Thanks again for all your feedback, it really is greatly appreciated.

Adam as long as YOU won't money this looks like a great win-win for everyone. I mean a Tele kit with gold hardware for $199 is a great price for someone who wants that option as is the same kit for $125 without. No one could ask for anything better in my humble opinion.