PDA

View Full Version : IB-5 Recessing

fatmunkey
11-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Hey guys, I'm about to start on an IB-5, and have noticed that the back control cover will sit on top of the body. I would like to recess it flush with the back. I'm guessing a super shallow rout is the way to go, and I have a plunge router, but whats the best way to pull this off?

vh2580
11-01-2015, 11:46 AM
I would recommend making some sort of template based on the cavity cover. The one definitive recommendation I can make is DO NOT do it with a Dremel freehand.

wokkaboy
11-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Hey Fatmunkey, what Tony said do not do it freehand. I didn't realise the no recess till I it was all finished and bolting together so I had to dremel it without ruining the clear coats. Good you noticed this early. You will need a fairly shallow pattern following router bit and you will need to make a template. Best of luck !
I normally do a route into a scrap piece and rest the cover on the recess to fine tune the depth so the cover is flush with the body

WeirdBits
11-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Yep, making a thick template from the shape of the cavity cover and then using a bearing guided router bit is probably your best, and safest, option. Other alternatives will be more prone to error and it's a lot easier to fix a template than a body.

Also, the IB-5 has a pretty thin body so if you are planning on using any non-standard wiring/electronics just check your clearances before you start recessing the cavity cover.

fatmunkey
11-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys! Keeping this build pretty vanilla as far as electronics go, but looking to further hone the woodworking skills. Will also recess the input jack with a soft curve, that's already started by hand :)
I think I'll grab some ply, make a thin template, then use the leftover ply to make it thicker, and slowly drop it down as suggested. This is the same process as for LPs as well I guess?

Brendan
11-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Have just done it frehand with a dremel on my IB-5 the other day... It can be done - take your time and don't rush. Used a router bit - 650 - straight cut, then clean up any edges with sandpaper and a small chisel. Big issue I found was that with the supplied cover, most of the screw holes sat over voids. In the end I had to oversize the area that I cut out. Second challenge is that it's not flat and the edge dies away to the edge of the guitar. It can be done - you may be more successful with a template, but it may take a bit of doing to get one that fits on the edge.