PDA

View Full Version : Which Wudtone will bring out a really nice grain to its max on Alder ?

markee
07-01-2015, 01:43 PM
I've never used Wudtone before and I really don't want to mess this up so I'm here looking to the more experienced for any advice and help me get the best possible result and also just a friendly place to share share my experience with others

I'm refinishing a 2003 Mia Fender Hwy-1 Lefty Strat.

You really never know what you'll find under the paint I've stripped this down and it seems it has some nice grain hiding under there i want to do my best to bring that grain out and make it pop

The kits that come with a Deep colour coat this is the coat that fills in the grain first ?
I'm not really clear on exactly how Wudtone works?
Do you have a choice of fill color ?
What color combos do the best job bringing out the grain ?

wokkaboy
07-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Hi Markee,
so are you going to rub this back to bare wood and re-stain it ? It's got beautiful grain for an alder body. I would recommend any of the Dingotone colours. Have a look on the online store at the colours, I've tried most of them and they all look excellent
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/dingotone/
With DT you apply the stain coat first to get the colour to soak in then the intensifying coats make the colour deeper again. I think any of these colours will look great on that body.
How it works you apply the stain with a rag (wearing a glove), let it cure and give it a rub with super fine steel wool between coats.

markee
07-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the reply wokkaboy
Its already sanded down and ready to re-stain in those pictures just trying to choose a color is all
I've checked Dingotone link you posted not many picture of how it looks Google hasn't helped much also.
Do you happen to know a link more finished Dongotone guitar examples ?

wokkaboy
07-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Markee which DT colours are you interested in ? I've tried most of them and can post some pics here. Click on each colour and there may be more samples of each colour

markee
07-01-2015, 03:50 PM
How about Bondi Blue and Tarkine Green ?

wokkaboy
07-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Hey Markee, here's pics of tarkine green on ash and bondi blue on basswood. They have since had a couple more coats and are a bit darker

markee
08-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the post