PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Stevo
02-01-2015, 05:35 AM
Hi All,

I have just joined, I have a sg kit I am building for my 10 year old son.
He liked the look and feel of the sg's in the shop but with the mahogony body
they were a bit heavy and I always preferred a bolt on neck for some reason.
The added bonus is as he is helping me he gets to learn a bit about how the guitar he plays works.
The one I have is ALDER and a bit lighter.
I tried the swirl type finish (you see a lot of youtube videos of the process), my attempts did not go well so have sanded back to wood and am thinking about using DingoTone. Has anyone used the blue or green. I was wondering what the finish is like when complete.

Regards

Steve

Scott J.
02-01-2015, 06:30 AM
Hi Stevo, welcome to "Guitar Builders (not-so-) Anonymous"! :D

The SG's always a perennial favourite ... so simple and sexy, she was just born to rock.

Dingotone Blues & Greens - there's a been couple done in both quite recently ... I can recall a PRS being done in green but on mahogany, not light-coloured alder and also a couple of blues on basswood

... but just "off the bat", I'd recommend going into the "My Build Diary" thread and doing a search on "green" and on "blue" - that should be the easiest way to get a good cross-section of what's been turned out ... or wandering through the Photo Gallery (arranged by model) will give a good feel for what can be achieved colour-wise

wokkaboy
02-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Hi Stevo,
here's pics of I think 4 coats of Dingotone Bondi Blue on a ST-1 basswood body, some of this grain doesn't take the stain as well as others but you get the idea. It's since had another one or 2 coats since the pics were taken. It should get a bit darker after clear coats

wokkaboy
02-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Stevo here's some pics of Dingotone Tarkine Green on an ash ST body, and on camphor veneer on the headstock. It's since had a couple more colour coats and has got a bit darker. It will darken more with clear coats.
Ash is also a tough grain for stain to penetrate.
Your SG in alder should take both green and blue DT stains quite well I suspect

Stevo
02-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys for the replies and the pictures, I was hoping I would not like one of the colors (that would have made the decision easier) but both look great.

Steve

stan
02-01-2015, 03:06 PM
welcome to the addiction Steve!