PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Pennsylvania.

Rob L
30-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Hi all!
I found this site quite by accident and I'm glad I did!

I'm putting my coins aside now to get the RC1 kit. I've always wanted a Rick but I refuse to spend that kind of money for a guitar ever again. Been there, spend too much and have nothing to show for it. Plus I don't like how Ricks necks are set in the back. If something happens you're pretty much screwed. Your kit is the ANSWER!!!

I also have a few more builds in mind for 2015 including a hollow body Tele acoustic/electric string through back, with 2 "F" holes and the controls on the side instead of the front. I'm looking at using the TL1A kit for that. I know I will have to fill in some of the cavities but they won't be seen because I found a beautiful maple cap as the top which will hide the sins of the guitars. I want to make it as much as a pitbull build but some things I'll have to get somewhere else. Acoustic bridge, the sound board cap but everything else should be able to come from here. :D

And I fell in love with Barge's double cutaway tele. SWEET guitar! I want to build one like that. Also string through the body but with a stacked single coil pup. I've seen every build in the forum over the last week. Some truly unreal guitars. Guitars that look better than the high priced names. Everything top shelf but Barge's tele blew me away!
Barge I hope you don't mind me using yours as a guide for what I want to do. I'll be using the TL1A for that as well.

Really please and honored to be part of this fine site and the work you all do.

I also hope you don't mind me picking your brains. I want to try binding but haven't a clue how to do it. I have a large two-handed router and a small single handheld router. I just don't know how to block everything off so I get a consistent cut all the way around. And where do you get your headstock stickers!? If there someone here in the group that can make them for others?

Anyway, I'll stop talking now. My grandfather used to say I was vaccinated with a phonograph needle. :D

Thank you for allowing me to join this awesome group!!!

Rob L
30-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Soon as I dig out my tele squier, I'll take some pics. it'been my main beater guitar for at least 5 years. Totally rewired, new pup, new bridge, better tuners and I've had American made tele standard players hate me cause mine cost about $300 including the cost of the guitar and upgrades.
It's a solid body ash not that plywood crap. A single cut and shaped maple neck with a maple fretboard. And the pups are a Texas Tele set. All the pot are oversized fender pots with heavy duty wiring. My electronic guy added all the right orange drops to it. Only thin it need is a better pickguard.
I am ALL about NOT buying $2000 guitars that are not made for you but the masses. I dare say some of you could build 4 guitars for the cost of the average Les Paul and have a far superior guitar!!

I'll pull my Tele out tomorrow and take pics. Right now i'm beat and need to go to bed....zzzzzzzzzzz

I'm really excited to have found this site with such like minded people!!

Rob L
30-12-2014, 01:26 PM
1039 tHis is what I am kind going after just not with all the knobs. Single coil pup, no switch, volume know up through the back of the guitar string trough and using an acoustic bridge,

stan
30-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Hey Rob, welcome to the group.
Sounds like you have some cool plans ahead, don't forget to share it with us in a build thread!

As for routing binding - there are those more skilled than me to help you with that - but I did recently buy the Stew Mac special attachments for my Dremel.

Headstock logos: I've seen some nice results with an inkjet/laser printer and the right water transfer paper. Not too bad if you want black or dark logos.

White is tricky apparently. Because I like black headstocks, I need white or light logos... Member here, Andyport (Andy) has a sign company and does very nice vinyl cut logos. They arent completelt flush, but either just put on more clear, or just don't worry too much. Nice guy, good prices and very nice results.

Welcome and enjoy

stan
30-12-2014, 01:27 PM
wow Rob - YES make one of those

Rob L
30-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Thank Stan and it's great to meet you!! I owned a Tele hollow body acoustic/electric in the 90's and I should have kept it. Can't find them now so I'll have to build one! We;re working out now how much to router out, how think to make the body and the top cap is 3/4'' so I'll need to shave not much off that body. Imagine that pic up there but instead the pup is at the bridge and it only have one knob for volume coming up through the back I think it would be killer for sure.

Rob L
30-12-2014, 01:34 PM
I'll have to talk to Andy as I meet more people. I have an inkjet printer and no doubt most of my logos are going to be black or purple. I tend to use dark colors on the bodies and headstocks.
Though I do want to try some natural dyes that should off the grains.

Rob L
30-12-2014, 01:34 PM
And forgive me for my posts being all over the place. I'm still learning how to do this. :D

Rob L
30-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Stan I have 3 builds in mind so far.
The Rick RC1 kit which will have as much real rickenbacker stuff on it. It's be in a deep purple for my girl.
Blarge;s KILLER double cutaway tele though mine won't be exactly like his.
And the Tele hollow body acoustic/electric which will hopefully have the controls on the side of the guitar so the front can be as clean as possible. Also using an acoustic bridge and under saddle pieizo pickup systems.

Rob L
30-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Oh and I will keep a dairy of every step I take. From start to finish!!!
What's the point of not doing one. Are we all here to "show off" a bit. ;)

stan
30-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Tele kits are a great place to start, and your plans sound like great mods that shouldnt be too difficult.
I am lucky enough to have an 80's MIJ Tele, in my sig...

gavinturner
30-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Great to meet you Rob. There are a certainly a few of us looking at making a double-cut tele based on Bargey's effort :). Sounds like some great builds on the way! Will be great to read all about them ;). Welcome to the PBG clan.
Cheers,
Gav.

Brendan
30-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Welcome along Rob. Looks like you've got yourself a few plans! Sounds great and can't wait to see how they all turn out.

Scott J.
30-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Hi Rob and welcome to the "crew" or as it possibly deserves to be called "Guitar Builders (not so) Anonymous" :D

If you've got anything to do with Tele's you're in good company as there's many Tele-aficionados in the forum (watch out for the mysterious Tele-napper ... if one goes missing he's probably ""acquired" it) ... and it sounds like its way too late to warn you about G.A.S. (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) seems like you've already caught it :D

You've got some great sounding plans as well (Bargeloob's "Bladecatcher" certainly is a beauty isn't she ... just one great example of what you can do with a PBG kit!)

If you going to be putting binding a guitar ... keep your eye on my current build ("GR-1SF Rocker-billy") over the next few weeks - it'll probably provide an excellent example of "what NOT to do!" and give you the chance to learn from my screw-ups :D ... I'm putting a matching (to the body) binding on the headstock ... but I'm cutting the binding groove by hand using a "binding channel cutter" tool ... it should be interesting as long as I don't lose too many fingers! :D

Waterslide Decals for Headstocks ... there's actually quite a few decal in printers in the US that do small jobs, low prices and quick turnarounds (more than there are here in Oz) and they generally have pretty good art department services too ... but if you want to do it yourself I've found that you get a better quality print from a laser-printer (and most low-end inkjet printers don't use a water-proof ink which you need) ... and mid-to-high-end laser printers WILL print white. Blank waterslide decal paper is readily available and pretty cheap.

But on nearly all the areas of guitar building you'll need to know about (including the above) there's a myriad of information in the forum posts ... and of course for any and all problems, there's our very own resident guitar-build guru, Dingobass

Don't forget to take heaps of pics for your build diary ... most of us can't read! (just kidding) ... and really looking forward to seeing your "double f-hole Tele" come together ... sounds like it will be sweet axe.

Gavin1393
30-12-2014, 09:35 PM
I'm putting a matching (to the body) binding on the headstock ... but I'm cutting the binding groove by hand using a "binding channel cutter" tool ... it should be interesting as long as I don't lose too many fingers! :D

Very brave Scott! Will be watching with some interest.

Rob L
30-12-2014, 10:51 PM
MIJ Fenders rock. Every bit as good if not better than the american made standards!

Rob L
30-12-2014, 10:58 PM
Thank you for the welcome Stan, Gav, Brendon and Scott!
I've owned some really nice top end guitars, Parker Fly, Gibsons, Fender custom shop, and I've owned some very cool guitars like an old Kramer DMZ 100 double cutaway, aluminum neck and split headstock. Weighed about 50 lbs but was a nice guitar. But no matter how many I won I always go back to Teles.
I love the thin neck cause I have short stubby fingers. The body fits me to a tee and I love the sound.

It's really good to know I have access to Tele knowledge!

I look forward to your new build Scott and while I do have G.A.S. my money says..not so fast there! I'll be able to get 3 kits this year and of course I will write a dairy of what I do!!!

Fretworn
31-12-2014, 05:28 AM
Welcome Rob!