PDA

View Full Version : GR-1SF Protoypes

Scott J.
22-12-2014, 04:43 AM
Hi Adam,

As you correctly pointed out in response to Patto's recent observations ("bridge post-hole location", 21-12-14 kels80aus' build diary -White GR-1SF Build) this model of kit is a prototype (for us guinea-pigs :D), so I thought I'd start this thread to provide a centre for any feedback on this kit itself rather than have anyone's build diary hijacked ... (as I initially did to Kel's diary but have since moved that post to my own diary)

So, on this Kit ...

Bridge-post location - as we're now aware, there seems to be some issue with the location (and angles) of the holes for the bridge posts ... maybe it might be worth considering to dispense with having the body drilled for a T-o-M bridge and the kit (a la ES-2 & ES-B4)
The kit could then be supplied with option of either floating bridge OR T-o-M bridge with a simple paper template for location of the bridge post holes (with the template possibly based on position relative to the p/up locations and neck cut-out)

(in fact I wouldn't be averse to also doing away with all the pre-drilled pot and switch holes too and just have the p/up cutouts - this would give a greater variety of options to the builder in what he wanted to mount and where it was located without having to plug holes)

Headstock - we've also noted that the headstocks (and the tuner holes) are a little out of square ... maybe worth considering to leave the headstock as a blank-paddle like many of the other kits* - this could enable the builder to choose his headstock shape (and get it square! :D) ... making it more of a generic 6120 kit with option for any of the head-shape permutations from the "Falcons" to the "G"'s and "CG"'s

... or alternatively, (and if the factory can get the heads and holes square and plumb) some headstock binding on Falcon "V" shaped head would nicely set-off the body's binding (which is what I'm considering for my version GR-1SF) ... but this would add to the cost of the kit

* On headstock shapes - a sidebar suggestion for a possible PBG "library" of downloadable headstock templates

Otherwise, this kit is super sweet - they have done a damn good job on her ... timber selection and assembly -wise, she's actually one of the nicest kits I 've had yet ... although it is the first hollow-body kit I have had so I cant be sure if this is the same for everyone else's

adam
22-12-2014, 05:16 AM
Thanks Scott appreciate the detailed feedback. They've already made the next lot which will be here in Jan/Feb, so we will order the next lot as you have described for mid next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk