PDA

View Full Version : Broken Screw ... a little one.

sonicpelican
21-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Hi guys,

I broke a screw whilst putting on the machine heads. There is not enough of the screw exposed to get onto with pliers or vice grips and the metal is too soft to get a good grip on anyway. These screws are too small for the usual extractor methods. The screw tab on the machine head is too small to cover the drill and plug method.

Any ideas? The neck and headstock that had just been beautifully finished by a 70 year old Chinese wood finisher?

Cheers and have a great Christmas and New Year,
Rod

WeirdBits
21-12-2014, 09:09 AM
If you drill another hole right up against the broken screw on the side facing the tuner hole (which should keep it hidden by the tab), you may be able to tap the broken screw sideways into the new hole to loosen it. Then you can pry, lever or maybe get some needle nose pliers onto it to remove it. It will mean having to plug the new hole as well, but a couple of toothpicks or a bamboo skewer and some super glue should take care of that.

If you've got some headstock offcuts try testing it on that first. Screw in a small screw, cut the head off with a hacksaw, and then try to get it out. That way you can decide if it's worth the risk on your headstock.

sonicpelican
21-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Thanks Scott. That seems to be a good idea. If necessary I can channel back to the tuner hole.

Cheers,
Rod

sonicpelican
23-12-2014, 07:14 PM
All fixed. As suggested I drilled down beside the screw and managed to knock it out. Filled the hole with a mixture of talcum power and PVA glue. Couldn't get any of the right sized screws from the hardware store so ended up pulling a phone apart and managed to get 6 good quality screws that look the part.

Cheers and have a great Christmas and New Year,
Rod

Nickosaurus
24-12-2014, 04:46 AM
I'll be keen to see this finish once you're done Rod. Sounds interesting.