PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Side Mirrors

bargeloobs
18-12-2014, 04:16 PM
After what seems like an eternity away from the guitar me and the Bladecatcher finally got to sit down and write a little track together, just a few simple riffs and me attempting to sing...

https://soundcloud.com/sodacupkiller69/dirty-side-mirrors

Scott J.
18-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Hot stuff 'Loobs! ... I like! ... and the "Fire in the Radio" demo's were really good too! ... are you doing any gigs?

Interested to hear what rig you running (p/ups, pedals, amp, etc) on this track

"SodaCupKiller" ... :D ... love the name!

ihasmario
19-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Sexy tone.............. and I'm not talking about the guitar ;)

I really love the metallic sounding "clank" when you mute the strings! What are you using for drums? They're quite well recorded.

bargeloobs
19-12-2014, 04:48 AM
Hot stuff 'Loobs! ... I like! ... and the "Fire in the Radio" demo's were really good too! ... are you doing any gigs?

Interested to hear what rig you running (p/ups, pedals, amp, etc) on this track

"SodaCupKiller" ... :D ... love the name!

Hey Scotty, unfortunately now that the missus is working nights me doing any sort of gigging is pretty much impossible at the moment, although I did play a 40th a little while back. Just a few acoustic sets but it was good to get out and play again.
It was a bit of a slap together this track and I didn't even go through the amp, I played direct through my M-Track interface and recorded into FL-Studio using Guitar Rig. I used the "Super Clean Funk" preset then added a reverse grain effect to the rack for that real gritty sound as well the "Big Fuzz" effect which is very similar to the "Big Muff" pedal for a bit more dirt.
The SD invader pups almost distort the signal anyway being that they're so hot so that really added to the grainy guitar sound I was looking for.
I just recorded the vox with a SM-58 with a bit of compression and FL-Studio on board distortion (Fruity Fast) I think it's called.
@ihasmario I just programmed the drums in FL-Studio, it's got a real nice step sequencer and I've built up a pretty good library of samples over the years so yeah...they're not too bad. Hoping to build a little studio next year so a drum booth is on the cards, you simply can't beat the real thing (excuse the pun).
Thanks for having a listen guys.

Edit; that ":Fire in the Radio" stuff ain't mine, I reckon those lads are from Philly.

bargeloobs
21-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Been playing round with a little prog number on the "Bladecatcher", not finished but getting there for anyone who cares to have a listen.
https://soundcloud.com/sodacupkiller/exemplar

ihasmario
21-12-2014, 02:54 PM
I really liked around 2:10 :P

pablopepper
21-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Oh man, that was great...like really, really great! The keys that came in at the solo; amazing.

bargeloobs
21-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Oh man, that was great...like really, really great! The keys that came in at the solo; amazing.

I'm glad you liked it man.
Bonus, I've only just hooked back up with a vocalist I worked with ages ago and I'm hoping with the right vox it should take it to the next level, it's still yearning for a big outro I reckon but as you well know, these things take time.
Definitely got promise.

Nickosaurus
21-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Dirty Side Mirrors... someone has been channelling their inner Jack White! Wicked.

Your prog stuff was great too man - reminded me a lot of Rush. Could quite easily chill out with that stuff mate.

gavinturner
21-12-2014, 06:59 PM
The prog track is amazing Bargey! Really really cool dude. Loved it.

cheers,
Gav.

bargeloobs
21-12-2014, 10:18 PM
The prog track is amazing Bargey! Really really cool dude. Loved it.

cheers,
Gav.

@Gav, @Nick Hey thanks for the listen guys, it's always great to get a bit of feedback from fellow muso's, cheers guys.

gavinturner
22-12-2014, 06:22 AM
Bargey, thanks for calling me a muso :P.

cheers,
Gav.

Fretworn
22-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Loved Exemplar. Reminds me a bit of "Prodigy Composers" by The Intersphere. I doubt you use their odd-ball tuning though.

bargeloobs
22-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Loved Exemplar. Reminds me a bit of "Prodigy Composers" by The Intersphere. I doubt you use their odd-ball tuning though.

Yeah, shit you're not wrong Fretty, it sounds very similar in spots, even down to the guitar tone. You're right though, all bog standard tuning for this puppy.
Just out of interest, what tuning are those dudes using?

Fretworn
23-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Just out of interest, what tuning are those dudes using?

Bb G D G A D

Nickosaurus
23-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Bb G D G A D

does not compute. Open Bb major/D minor?

Fretworn
28-12-2014, 03:53 PM
The two guitarists use different 3 or 4 note groupings to build more complex chords. The fact that one of them can sing while he does it astonishes me.