PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone

OrmsbyIII
17-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Hi Guys
My names James, I've been window shopping on this site for the past couple of weeks, and reading as much as I can on the forum (Soooo much information, and so very helpful)
I currently have a Fender Strat & Tele, and a few Bass Guitars but am looking to get some satisfaction in building my own axe.

My wife asked me what I want for Xmas, and have put my order in with her for a LP-1S (which is currently not in stock :( ). Hope I'm not in over my head

I have my eye on an orange-ish kind of tint for the face, kind of like the Dingotone Coolangata Gold - although one pic looks orange-ish, and one looks very yellow..
Or even the Wudtone hot Auburn.

Will also be looking into decals for the headstock.

But anyhoo, I'll have to wait till the axe is in stock firstly.

Is there anywhere on the site that has some accurate colour representations of the tints on an LP-1S

Thanks in advance, love reading the build stories, and am really grateful for the tips and tricks, and what NOT to do's

Really hope I can get an axe and finish at least half as good as some of the awesome axes on this site

Cheers
JP

1st Build - coming soon

ultpanzi
17-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Welcome to the community! If you shoot dingobass an email and ask him what each stain looks like then you'll probably get a good idea. On top of that, dingotone stains and wudtone stains vary in colour depending on what wood it goes on and how many coats you put on, how heavy handed you apply it, etc. Its really quite versatile so you could probably adjust for a whole range of colours.

stan
17-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Welcome James, enjoy the community!

WeirdBits
17-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Welcome JP.

Brendan
17-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Welcome along JP. The info says pro wiring, but it just means that there are more solders that you need to do. LP's are a fine start - straightforward guitar to build. Good luck with the build, but feel free to ask heaps of questions no matter how dumb they sound - everyone here was a beginner at some point and a little bit of help early can save a lot of work later.

gavinturner
17-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Welcome JP! You are gonna love building your LP, and it will be the first build of many.

cheers,
Gav.

OrmsbyIII
18-12-2014, 03:16 AM
Thanks Guys, I do have a lot of dumb questions which have probably been answered many times in the forum - (still finding my way around)
I chose the bolt on neck for the LP, I kind of didn't understand how it couldn't be bolt on - how do the other necks hold without bolts, especially with the tension of the strings, I wouldn't have thought glue would do it,
Again excuse my ignorance :)

really getting excited after reading all the stories, looking fwd to this project

bargeloobs
18-12-2014, 03:36 AM
Welcome along dude, yeah all genuine Les Paul's are what they refer to as "set necks", in which the neck slides snuggly into a neck pocket routed into the body, and is then glued in place with wood glue (Titebond is the glue of choice round here and is extremely strong stuff)
It might seem a little hard to imagine a glued neck holding all that string tension but the shear surface area that is glued within the pocket makes for a really solid join, also the relative angle of the string tension means the bulk of the pressure is taken at the heel of the neck pushing into the body so it's not as drastic as you might imagine.
No such thing as a dumb question mate, (except that time I asked if headphones could be boiled)

ScoopD
18-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Welcome JP. I'll be over to talk to you soon ;)

JP works with me and my stories of building and the stories I have told him of the stuff I have read on these forums has brought him over to the dark side.

Not that he is a build virgin - he built both his Fenders from parts, but he has not gone through all the stages from raw wood ... we'll have some fun.

OrmsbyIII
18-12-2014, 07:15 AM
Hehehe. Yes Dark Side... my first LP

boiled headphones has me curious, might try that too

wokkaboy
18-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Hi JP,
welcome to the forum and I'm sure Scoop will point you in the right direction. Sure you will build a fine axe. Start a build diary when it arrives and ask any question.
I built a LP-1S almost 2 years ago (was my 1st GOTM) and finished the cap in wudtone burning sun (orange) and back sides were hot auburn. Dingotone outback sunset (orange) would look excellent on the spalted cap. Here's couple of pics to show you what mine looked like, especially how it glows in the sun

Fretworn
18-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Welcome James.

OrmsbyIII
18-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Cheers Guys

WOW Wokka that looks amazing and pretty much the exact colour I'm looking for.
Will def do a build diary,
I love the finish on your one, I'll have to email DingoBass and see if he has some sample pics of Dingotone outback sunset

But really love that wudtone burning sun, I'm guessing you have a build diary for that one, will have to check it out,
did you put a clear on it as well, or just the stain., I love that colour