PDA

View Full Version : Bassists

ultpanzi
14-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Being a bassist at times (and a guitarist as well) it makes me wonder if bassists deserve such a rant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX6sX3AF1ks
From experience, I have seen a lot of this which is true...
Thoughts? Do you also hate bassists?

Scott J.
14-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Whoa! ... is that a can of worms I can hear being opened? ... yep, sure is! :D ... I cant wait to see some of the responses to this one! ;)

Must admit he did make some good points (I especially like the comment about changing your strings more often than every three years! ... bwahahaha :D)

Found this funny too - "Things bass players say in the studio" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-zKMsj5rio

Playing guitar (very badly! :eek:) in a couple of bands over the years as well roadie and sound for quite a few others, I've noticed one thing about band dynamics (especially when it comes to live performances) ...

"The guitarist attracts the gear-heads, the singer scores the chicks,
The drummer hogs the roadies and the bass player gets the shits"

pablopepper
15-12-2014, 06:06 AM
Great video. This raises some very valid points. For me, the bass is a rhythm instrument with melodic capabilities. Timing is key. A good bass player keeps the band moving along while the rest have their moment to shine, and it's usually the flashy, prominently melodic players who get all the attention. Modesty is equally as important, because no matter what, the bass player cops it.

Fretworn
15-12-2014, 08:53 AM
It seems to me that his rant was really about guitarists playing bass. He seemed to be preaching for viewing bass as "not" a guitar and therefore worthy of an independent technique. I have not problem with this. There are similarities between electric guitar, acoustic guitar and bass guitar. But they are all very different, requiring the development of different playing techniques and a different approach to rhythm. I can play bass, but I play it like a guitarist. I'd rather have someone who understands bass to be playing any time.

wokkaboy
15-12-2014, 09:44 AM
he makes some good points. No matter what instrument you play there will be people bagging you !

ultpanzi
15-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Interesting responses guys. I thought he was a little harsh cos most bassists arent THAT bad. As well as, I quite like the feel of old strings (though...maybe not three years old strings.)

ihasmario
16-12-2014, 07:09 PM
I don't agree with him on the idea of fresh strings on bass.

I actually like 'dead' strings, if we are talking round wounds. And flat wounds don't really need to be replaced.

Is there something I am missing? I get a lot of top end already. Maybe it's because I'm using a bass with modern technology B-)

What are they going to do in post anyway? They're going to either turn up or kill the treble and then cut out the mids. Shrug.

Interesting responses guys. I thought he was a little harsh cos most bassists arent THAT bad. As well as, I quite like the feel of old strings (though...maybe not three years old strings.)

While I am bad at both guitar and bass technician, I am a very good musician. I don't personally know anyone who rags on bass players outside of high school with the exception of how easy the bass is.

Not a single person complaining about how easy bass is can play jazz though so shrugs all round :P

Scott J.
16-12-2014, 08:49 PM
He's just referring the "wannabes" who don't learn their instrument, don't practice ... and generally don't seem to care ... and end up wasting his time when they get into the studio ... so don't take it personally - he also rags on the "meathead wannabe" guitarists (like me! :D) in another of his videos

On the "strings" issue though, I've got agree with him ... its not the top- or mid- or bottom-end that he's talking about, its the quality of the tone (of those top-, mid- and bottom-ends) ... a good set of new strings (or even re-conditioned ones) really do make a huge difference to the tone that you'll get out of your "stick" - whether its guitar OR bass

dingobass
18-12-2014, 06:16 AM
Hmmmmmmmm..... I have a mate over East who is a pro Bassist.
His Bass has got the most amazing tone and he has been running the same set of flatties for over ten years....

He was at Wooten Woods last year attending a Bass clinic and the great Victor Wooten was blown away by how amazing his Bass was tonally.
Just goes to show that there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to Bass strings and how old they are.

Every Bass will have its own tone or voice. Some sound better with new strings and others with old ones...

Scott J.
18-12-2014, 07:52 PM
I can't argue with that, DB ... another sagaciously correct observation from the guru!

... I'll just be pulling my head in now (especially being a "thin-stringer" and NOT a bassist) :D

michael
19-12-2014, 01:33 AM
I typically change my strings every year or two. I use a variety of strings on my different basses (flats on my fretless, Elixirs on my fretted 5, and coated gold strings on my blinged 4-stringer) so I don't have a set schedule.

I've only broken one string in 25 years of playing, and that was when tuning a new G string.

kimball492
05-01-2015, 01:33 AM
Here's a few Bass riffs to practice
http://youtu.be/FDKDdVilQT4

kimball492
05-01-2015, 01:41 AM
Here's one for the guitarists to laugh at
http://youtu.be/r-zKMsj5rio

Here's one for the bass players
http://youtu.be/1hAWr6c9wV4

For the bass player singer and guitarist
http://youtu.be/_2zUYmgIxEU

Now it's the singers turn
http://youtu.be/XG--kTbq4ww

moody
20-02-2015, 05:45 AM
I'm going to jump in here. I have recently gotten onto the flat wound band wagon and I love them.

Before that I was very much a dead round wound person. I had a box full of second hand strings so that I had already dead strings that I could put on my basses if one broke - I hate the sound of new strings and particularly one new string on an already strung bass sounded awful. That doesn't mean I don't like treble - I like a consistent, non zingy tone that will remain the same whether I change strings or not.

PS. I have worked hard at getting the tone I want, I have a good half dozen effects pedals that I use regularly. The basses themselves I don't use for tone shaping (one bass I never touch the controls, another the controls are bypassed).

Rob L
20-02-2015, 06:46 AM
It seems to me that his rant was really about guitarists playing bass. He seemed to be preaching for viewing bass as "not" a guitar and therefore worthy of an independent technique. I have not problem with this. There are similarities between electric guitar, acoustic guitar and bass guitar. But they are all very different, requiring the development of different playing techniques and a different approach to rhythm. I can play bass, but I play it like a guitarist. I'd rather have someone who understands bass to be playing any time.

Worn is right. His first 3+ minutes of his rant wasn't about bassists. It was about bad guitarists trying to be a bassist and how they shouldn't.
I don't like playing bass at all. I do it on all of my own recordings but I play it like a 6-string guitarist. I would make a terrible choice as a bassist in a band.
The bass player and drummer are 2 of the most important parts to a band. Problem is, they know this and many of the bassists and drummers I have played with tended to be arrogant jerks especially my last bassist who never did understand that every song doesn't require a complicated bassline.
I started out as a strictly rhythm guitarist because I was also the singer. That changed when we lost our lead player the night of a gig. I had to play 3 roles then and have been ever since.
A good bassist knows when to back off and play something simple. So does a good guitarist and drummer.

BUT, having said all that, two of the guitarists I have played with in the past have made fantastic bassists. In fact one is playing in a working band as bassist only and the other does double duty in his band and he wants to play bass on my new recordings. I think a lot of it is mindset. If I took the time to learn bass I'd be good at it cause I know how important the bass is in a band/song. Not being a shredder helps me with that.

Rob L
20-02-2015, 06:54 AM
As to bass strings I know notta. When I was a full time working musician I changed my guitar strings every 2-3 weeks.

Rob L
20-02-2015, 07:10 AM
I typically change my strings every year or two. I use a variety of strings on my different basses (flats on my fretless, Elixirs on my fretted 5, and coated gold strings on my blinged 4-stringer) so I don't have a set schedule.

I've only broken one string in 25 years of playing, and that was when tuning a new G string.

My fave bassist ever in one of my bands was the same way Michael. I don't know what strings he used but he loved the sound he got with his Music Man bass and old strings. He called it a greasy sound and I loved it.
Irony. His name was Michael too...hehehe

lunaticthighs
22-02-2015, 03:35 PM
As a bass player who never wanted to be anything else I think he has some valid arguments. I personally hate the guitarist who plays bass because they play like a guitarist. That being said I have been in a project as a bass player with a guitarist also on bass and we made some good sounds, mainly because I played bass lines and held it all together while he played bass like a guitarist.
Totally agree with the practice and knowing the arrangements before hitting the studio especially if your paying for the time. Bit different just writing and arranging in your own studio.
As for new strings, that is a personal preference and really depends on what style you are trying for. I hate new strings unless I am trying for that punk twang or want a more mid range to fit in with bottom heavy metal guitars. Mind you that being said strings do have a life span and will sound shit and wont hold a tune after a certain amount of time and becomes pretty obvious when they have had their day. Good thing is bass strings are cheaper now that they were 15 years ago and easier to get the brand and size I like. Haven't resorted to boiling a set in years ;)

fatmunkey
12-03-2015, 01:25 PM
Boiling strings works because you're getting rid of all the oil and gunk out of them, and that's what deadens strings. If you never touch the bass, they'll last for a long long time. When I was gigging three nights a week, I'd go through a set every six months (still better than the guitarists' Elixirs that were changed every other week (or so it seemed)).

Fact is, bass and guitar look kinda the same, have the same standard tuning pattern, and that's where the similarities end. If I pick up a bass with my guitar head on, I wonder why it sounds weird for a few minutes and then remember "duh, its a different instrument."

Fun fact, same story is apparently true with pianos and organs, though you'll never hear about it online coz they can't hook their keyboards up :P

dingobass
12-03-2015, 03:49 PM
The boiling strings thing is something I have never done... Probs because I use flatties and they never seem to age... The just get sweeter the older they get :)

One thing that has got me wondering though, if you use strings with a layer of silk in the widings, wouldnt boiling screw em up?

dingobass
12-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Widings?.... I meant windings....

wokkaboy
12-03-2015, 03:56 PM
good question DB, I've never heard of this technique, wonder if Fatmunkey has boiled wound bass strings?

fatmunkey
12-03-2015, 07:23 PM
roundwound, not flats, and it works better on the e and a than the d and g. You get this layer of scum come up to the surface, which you can pour off. Now, this was done after the bass had gone for a swim in the 2007 flood in Newcastle, and was more of a "well, it's f**ked anyway, lets see what happens!" Sidenote: that swamped-ash bass (get it?) still played alright once it was dried right out.

dingobass
12-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Bahahahahahahaha!
Swamped ash.... Thats funny :)
Bet you were glad she survived though!

fatmunkey
13-03-2015, 05:56 PM
It was a bass who belonged to the mate of a mate of a bloke who knew someone who was in the band once. By the time I got there it was lineup 3, and only one original member was left. And no-one had ever claimed it, so it sat in the rehearsal shed. When we started cleanup I though that i should check it out since I was the bassmunkey. Shocked that it survived. And was fun to beat around on too :)

Fretworn
15-03-2015, 03:34 PM
It was a bass who belonged to the mate of a mate of a bloke who knew someone who was in the band once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjhClp92kTg

fatmunkey
15-03-2015, 05:43 PM
something like that :)