PDA

View Full Version : GOTY - The Ultimate Accolade?

Scott J.
14-12-2014, 06:20 AM
Just another idea/suggestion ... I'm full of 'em (or maybe that should be "full of it"! :D )

I guess most of the PBG members are like myself - very keen watchers of GOTM ... I always look forward to seeing the increasingly superb works that are being produced in man-caves around the country (or as in my case, "man-corners"! :eek: )

Anyway, as a sort of ultimate accolade to these incredible pieces being created, maybe it might be worth considering a Guitar of the Year (GOTY) that could be run something like this ...

GOTY Entry - open to any PBG guitar ... and regardless of whether it was a GOTM winner or not

GOTY Judging - the regular PBG GOTM judges (1 vote each) ... plus 1 or 2 guest judges (1 vote each) ... plus the combined opinion of the PBG members as a judge (1 vote - the members vote between ourselves and most popular entry gets the single "group" vote for each division)

GOTY Divisions - maybe different divisions for best "Solidbody", "Hollowbody", "Bass", etc. ... and of course "Overall"

Prizes
- Each division winner gets an autographed (by the PBG crew) photo taken of them (the winner) with the PBG crew ... (If they don't live locally to the PBG HQ, then maybe WeirdBits can photoshop them into the pic! :D )
- Overall Winner gets a nice shot of their axe displayed as the background pic to the PBG home page for the next 12 months, automatic entry into a PBG GOTM "Hall of Fame" ... and or course, the admiration and envy of the PBG community :)

Just thought!

wokkaboy
14-12-2014, 08:40 AM
sounds good to me Scott, maybe it would be fairer if the PBG members have to vote on an axe they didn't build. Good idea to have different classes, solid body, hollow body and basses.
It would be hard to display every build from members in 2014 but would have to be best out of the members who posted a build diary or entered a GOTM during 2014.
See what the moderators think, they probably are sick of judging by now, its a tough gig !

Gavin1393
14-12-2014, 08:50 AM
I think it wouldn't be too difficult if the qualification was based on the entries that we as a moderation and administration group have seen and remembered and what has stood out. There is also always the possibility that a second placed build in an extremely good month could take out the comp too.

wokkaboy
14-12-2014, 08:55 AM
sounds good Gavmiester, maybe could make the closing date 31/12/14 to any builds in the build diary and voting closes end of January. DB should be able to vote via mobile on the tropical island on vacation. That leaves me to be in charge of the naughty room. LOOK OUT !
oh and one other rule, no conch girl entries period !
In the meantime any ideas for a new status over 4000 posts ? I hope to reach the big 4K this coming week

Scott J.
14-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Good points, Woks & Gav ... not really "kosher" to have folks voting for their own builds ... and the pre-requisite for all GOTY entries must have been a GOTM entry in the same year

... but don't you think its being a bit tough on "conch girl"? (even if I do agree with you! :D)

Woks!!! 4000 posts!!!! ... you've got too much time on your hands!

... suggestions for a new status for "over 4000 posts"? ... how about "currently in therapy"! :D

adam
14-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Hey guys, I like the idea of some recognition for My Build Diary of the Year and/or Thread of the Year and/or Post of the Year (Weirdy's photoshopped Dingobass would be up there).

Personally, I'm not that keen on more Guitar awards, I think it's just too subjective and we might put some noses out. However, it's not up to me, so if the Community wants it, I'll set it up.

Maybe give the judges a break and let the Forum Community vote for any guitar that isn't theirs. I also like the idea of categories; Solid Body, Hollow Body, Bass, Shredder, etc...

Further, if someone wants to take it on as a project, say, I would be more than happy to take a supporting role ;-)

Scott J.
14-12-2014, 07:57 PM
When it comes to support for us, there's never shortage of it from you, Adam (or any of the PBG crew) ... and the Build Diary OTY and Thread OTY are excellent suggestions ... the "Oscars" can eat their heart out! :D

Being as it's a pretty lame thing to come up with ideas and expect someone else to make them happen ... I'm more than happy to help make it happen if the general consensus of all the PBG folks think an annual GOTY/BDOTY/TOTY is a worthwhile idea

... it might be a good chance to use that "survey" application that I've noticed somewhere in the forum's functionality to get the PBG-members opinions on it.

What do you say Woks, interested in helping get it off the ground? (PM or email me)

adam
15-12-2014, 05:54 AM
If you guys come up with the categories let me know and I'll set up a new thread. We can seek nominations for each category. The three most nominated can then go on a Poll for forum voting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pablopepper
15-12-2014, 06:12 AM
I love the idea of guitar of the year. As Adam suggested, a few categories would be great. Solid body, hollow body, bass are all cool, but I would really like to see a scratchy section too. There have been some awesome scratch builds documented here and it would be great to see them acknowledged as well.

Scott J.
15-12-2014, 06:42 AM
Category suggestions ...

- Best Solidbody
- Best Hollowbody
- Best Bass ... (and not that a bass need necessarily be discounted from the Best Solidbody or Best Hollowbody, either)
- Best Build Diary
- Best Thread
- Best Individual Post
... and, if its not going to rub against the Pit Bull "sponsorship" of the forum ...
- Best Scratchbuild ... (good idea, Pabs)

I'd also considered suggesting the "Naughtiest Forum Member" (i.e. longest tenure in the Naughty Room) but then there's some amongst us who've spent so long in there they almost deserve admittance to a "Naughty Hall of Infamy" :D

Possible approach ...
Valid Entries - ANY entrant into the GOTM starting Jan and ending Dec of each year
Nominations - during Jan of the new year
Forum Judging & Results - in Feb ... (gives us something exciting to look forward to between Christmas and Easter)

adam
15-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Ok thanks Scott I'll make a new forum and then a thread for each category. I'll put it on the to do list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
15-12-2014, 08:02 AM
all sounds good to me Ads and Scott, think you have nailed the categories for awards

DB can nominate the naughtiest forum member, think I've got a pretty good chance of winning that !

stan
15-12-2014, 02:55 PM
great idea Scott, how about a best resto or modification category for non PBG guitars as well. Some nice work done on midi conversions etc...